Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I have just purchased a 2003 (53) Kia Seconda SE, Auto, 2.5 Petrol, V6,I have made a commitment to buy andwill be going to have a look at it early next week.

It is Ruby Red with charcoal grey leather interior,very clean body with a low mileage of 56K, as it is nine years old with FSH, am I right to expect that the Cam Belt would have been changed at six years, as it is still under the60,000 miles.

If it has not then I am loking at £300 - £500 within 4,000 miles?

I know that other car handbooks say, 60000 or six years is this the same for the Kia's.

I was torn between a Zafira or Kia, the zafira 1.8 has the same issue with cam belts, the sedona might not be as economical but looks more comfortable.

Thanks for any advice.

David

·
Registered
702 Posts
Adeptris said:
Hi,I have just purchased a 2003 (53) Kia Seconda SE, Auto, 2.5 Petrol, V6,I have made a commitment to buy andwill be going to have a look at it early next week.

It is Ruby Red with charcoal grey leather interior,very clean body with a low mileage of 56K, as it is nine years old with FSH, am I right to expect that the Cam Belt would have been changed at six years, as it is still under the60,000 miles.

If it has not then I am loking at £300 - £500 within 4,000 miles?

I know that other car handbooks say, 60000 or six years is this the same for the Kia's.

I was torn between a Zafira or Kia, the zafira 1.8 has the same issue with cam belts, the sedona might not be as economical but looks more comfortable.

Thanks for any advice.

David
Ho
To be truthful if the belt has not been changed before then just for peace of mind and wallet it needs changing, its not as complicated as the Rover 2.5 V6 it is based on but still a bugger to do . If they cant show its been changed then ask them if they will do it before you buy it what do you have to loose .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bruno,Thank's for the reply, I will ask them to check before I travel as the Kia is not local, I have seen information on the other engines and cam belt change period but can not find information on the 2.5 petrol version.

Is there anywhere that shows what is the offical reccomended period, if itis 10000 or ten years then it will be due next service, if it is 60000 or six years then it should have already been done.

For what I am paying I cannot see them doing a £300-£500 job, and I would not want a purchase followed by a large service bill.

Regards

David

·
Registered
702 Posts
Adeptris said:
Hi Bruno,Thank's for the reply, I will ask them to check before I travel as the Kia is not local, I have seen information on the other engines and cam belt change period but can not find information on the 2.5 petrol version.

Is there anywhere that shows what is the offical reccomended period, if itis 10000 or ten years then it will be due next service, if it is 60000 or six years then it should have already been done.

For what I am paying I cannot see them doing a £300-£500 job, and I would not want a purchase followed by a large service bill.

Regards

David
Hi David

I;ve just had a look at the American 2002 owners manual I have and the replacement on the 3.5 V6 they use is 60,000 miles or 60 months(5 years) so I would assume imagine that the V6 2.5 engine is around the same milage as the diesel one 60,00 miles or 5 years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Murphwiz,Can you qualify that more?

I did do a google search and did not find anything about the 2.5 V6, only the earlier engines and the liners, but that was cars built before 2002, then the other were about the cam belt, did I miss something?

Regards

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts