Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody reccomend a good mobile mechanic who can carry out a cam belt change on my 2003 sportage ??. I have been asking around and it seems the job is a bit of a pig! and nobody is interested and main dealers want more than the car is worth to do it. Has anybody done this themselves and can offer any guidence ifso I can have a go at it myself. And further to another post, where are those plugs hiding????.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Snowtrain, Not knowing in which part of the country you liveits hard to know who to try for your repairs. I run a Carens, same year & engine sizeas your Sportage, I use a mobile mechanic to do most of the difficult jobs on mine, but he was not prepared to have a go at cambelt change, for the same reason, they could be a pig and I have never done one. I shopped around, and the local 'Drive in Auto Centre', were happy to quote me and indeed did the work, they did a great job, took about half a day and cost all in just short of £215, inc parts (cambelt/bearing/tensioner e.t.c.) and the dreaded v.a.t.. The plugs are hidden under that large cover which is over the top of the engine, remove that and your in business, mind you replace with the same make/spec plugs as Kia's are very sensitive to them. I am in the midlands and will pass on to you the company's name who did my belt if thats any help, just shout. Cheers Gasman.

·
Registered
887 Posts
2003 sportage, guessing this is the earlier model.
The cambelt is a very straight forward job, about 2.5 hours work, it's all easy to see as it's right in front of you!
Plugs are hidden, need to remove the plastic engine cover, metal inlet pipe, plastic cover, 2 coils and leads, about 20mins work with practice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts