Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon, Today I received a "mail drop" from Kia First Aftercare. Brochure, letter, key tags.It encourages me to call them first, instead of my insurer, in the event of a prang. Just a thought - in the unfortunate event of an accident wouldn't my insurer get a little upset and irritated if I call someone else first? After all, the insurer is paying the bill and it might be reasonable to assume that they can approve or veto any repairer, within reason. Theoretically I guess I can " excercise my right" but not to the extent of alienating the people paying the bill.

·
Banned
5,227 Posts
The KIA service is really an exercise in revenue generation for KIA. They will "claims manage" the process and the work will be carried out at a KIA dealer. Most insurers have local favourite repairers who are not dealers, and I am sure there are "commission" payments involved. Most insurers also operate a different excess charge where you elect to use a repairer other than one of theirs. This is fine provided the other guy's insurance is paying since the additional excess can also be reclaimed from them. You can make a strong case for using a KIA dealer since this will protect your warranty.

BTW make no mistake, your insurer is not your friend, he is there to make money in any way he can. If he does not like that then no worries, plenty more insurers out there!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
wouldn't my insurer get a little upset and irritated if I call someone else first?
In my experience with Hyundai, the parent company, which offers a similar scheme, my insurer really 'got the 'ump' with me when I utilised their 'offer'.

The insurer (Saga) would not accept details of the claim from the KIA people because the 'Call KIA 1st' outfit was not one of their customers and I ended up having to inform SAGA of everything even though the idea was supposed to be that one call to the KIA people would be all I had to do.

I swore that'd I'd never go through all the aggravation and angst again.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
In my experience with Hyundai, the parent company, which offers a similar scheme, my insurer really 'got the 'ump' with me when I utilised their 'offer'.

The insurer (Saga) would not accept details of the claim from the KIA people because the 'Call KIA 1st' outfit was not one of their customers and I ended up having to inform SAGA of everything even though the idea was supposed to be that one call to the KIA people would be all I had to do.

I swore that'd I'd never go through all the aggravation and angst again.
My insurer (LV) makes it totally clear, if I call anybody else before them, my Excess increases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
My experience of using insurer's approved repairer was not good. Despite holding on to the car for "quality control" checks, there were obvious faults with the repair which should have been picked up. OK they were not major, but quality control was a joke. Annoying thing is that they wouldn't hand over the car until I signed to say they had done a good job. This was a national franchise dealer, although the branch which did the repair did not sell my car make.

If I could rely on Kia to do a good repair, I would be prepared to consider excess options.

If going to insurer approved repairer, does this affect the warranty??

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
I know Aviva have a excess if you use one of these companies.
But Kia care will pay £250. Their excuse for using them is they only use Kia approved repair centers & as such has no effect on the bodywork warranty. Unlike using a non kia approved deal would.
But how would they know?

Even if you don’t insure with Kia, you can guarantee to receive a genuine Kia repair at a Kia Approved Body shop by making Kia Accident Aftercare your first call after an accident. We’ll look after your insurance claim on your behalf, liaise with your insurer, provide accident recovery and a free courtesy car while your Kia is being repaired at no cost to you. Plus, we’ll reimburse up to £250 of your insurance excess cost if you have a complimentary Excess Return voucher
Bodywork Warranty
Any perforation due to defects or failure resulting from the use of new parts not sold or approved by Kia, or used parts, or damage to associated systems that's caused as a result of this

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies. Not clear cut by any means then. Think I'll file all the info and play it by ear should the worst occur. Prefer Kia to do any repairs - I might have an assertive discussion with the insurer first if it came to it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I didn't use kia and had a right game getting my insurers to commit to a paint warranty to match kia's. If I wanted to use a Kia garage it was an additional £200 excess. In the end I received a written guarantee on the paintwork until the kia equivalent runs out (2024) and a promise it was a Kia approved workshop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.