Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SW3 CRDi handbook shows that a cabin filter (climate control) should be renewed at 30000km or 24 months. As a 'regular' renewal item, this would be included in my 'service plan', however, I have been told by my Kia garage (Stoneacre, wallasey) that this is an optional item and referred me to the Kia service sheet which stated, "only to be replaced with owner's approval and when airflow is restricted". As an optional item, it would be charged for under the service plan.

I wrote to Kia uk, who say it only needs to be changed "when it becomes blocked". This is despite all other on line inquiries recommending a change at least every two years. Has anybody else queried the interval for this filter change?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Recently had Mot and 3 year service and was advised that filter was blocked. Quoted £38 for replacement.
Bought my own replacement and easily fitted it myself in approx 5 minutes. Cost £19.

The old one was really badly choked. so I will remove and clean with airline every 12 months or so.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's just at back of glovebox.
When you open glovebox there are two knobs, one at each side, Undo these then glove box will drop slightly. On the left side you will see a small shock type part attached, Lever this off the glovebox with a screw driver and glovebox will drop further.

Now you can reach the front of filter holder.

Pull on the tab and front will drop down andthen you can see the filter. Now you can slide out the filter which in my car is in two pieces, you will probably need pliers to grip the tabs asthey arequite small, I think the one on left comes out first.

Then it's just fitting the new one and putting back together in reverse. Fit the righthand part first and push to right side of slot then the left part will slide in next toit.

When refitting the "shock" part it just pushes back onto its location peg.

Hope this doesn't sound too complicated but it is really easy, honest.

The increase in airflow was quite noticable.

·
Registered
757 Posts
tezsw3 said:
I wrote to Kia uk, who say it only needs to be changed "when it becomes blocked". This is despite all other on line inquiries recommending a change at least every two years. Has anybody else queried the interval for this filter change?
You have to bear in mind this device is not fitted to protect mechanical parts in the car; it's purpose is to take dust out of the air that you breathe perfectly normally at the times you are not sitting in the car.

Is air flowing freely from the vents? Then it is not blocked. But you could take it out and give it a good thump.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Is the price for the Cee'd pollen filter as overblown as it is for the Rio? Last time I bought one it was £23.50 for a flimsy bit of paper that didn't fit properly. Compare that with the engine air filter which is far more substantial and well made, costing just over a tenner.
Got my last set of pollen filters off ebay. Japanese made, more substantial and a THIRD of the cost!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Apparently it is the same one as used in the Honda Civic. Mine was £19. Could not find one on Ebay but didn't know about being same as Honda at that time.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Is there any need for a pollen filter in the winter or at any time. Like I said in a previous debate about these overpriced things is you are protected from pollen ingress when you are driving but the minute you step out of car you are breathing in unfiltered air. Though that would depend on how hairy your nose is

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To be on the safe side, looks like cabin filters should be replaced every couple of years. Kias statement to "only replace when blocked" could result in damage to the system especially when it could be quite a while before you relised that it was blocked.

To Uncle Zen

The handbook with my 2010 SW3 CRDi gives fairly clear instructions on how to access and change the filter (pages 7.48 to 49). Mine is in one piece and situated at rear of glove box. Getting it out is similar to as described above.

Genuine Kia filters seem to be about £25 but you can get patent ones for about £18. Probably just as good, but would a patent one affect the warranty?

·
Registered
757 Posts
davy said:
Is there any need for a pollen filter in the winter or at any time.
Up to you. I ran mine for several months without one. Though I cut the element out of the frame and fitted aluminium mesh of the sort Halfords sell for supporting body filler. It needs something to keep insects and seeds out.

·
Registered
757 Posts
tezsw3 said:
To be on the safe side, looks like cabin filters should be replaced every couple of years. Kias statement to "only replace when blocked" could result in damage to the system especially when it could be quite a while before you relised that it was blocked.
How does a blocked filter (which lets nothing in, by definition) damage the system?

·
Registered
80 Posts
All a blocked filter will do is greatly reduce the airflow coming into the cabin. It cannot cause any damage.
If you suffer from hayfever orsensitive nasal passagesthen you would appreciate a good pollen filter and it is nice to have some relief if only for the time you are in your car.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Referring to not paying for a replacement as your manual says recommend change every 2 years. the key word is recommended. Its recommended to have your air on serviced at different intervals but that is by choice. Same as your Tyre pressures, recommended to be checked every week, should that be covered under your service plan too? Like your dealer pointed out, if its blocked change it not before. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To Mr. Kia

Thanks for your observations but my handbook clearly states that the filter change is part of the normal maintenance schedule and should be "REPLACED every 30000km or 24 months". This is not merelya 'recommendation', hence my query with KIA UK regarding the anomaly between the handbook and the authorised Kia dealers service sheet.
When I queried what was so different about the SW3 a/c system from other manufacturers, who generally state that the filter should be changed every 12 or 24 months, they told me:-

"we're unable to comment on the service schedules or build designs of other cars in either the global or UK market". Don't suppose I should have expected anything else really.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To Ace Demon

Re. damage. I can only go by what I've read. A blocked filter can put strain on the A/C system. It can (apparently) also lead to a build up of moisture which, if not channelled away, could cause corrosion and also provide a perfect breeding ground for little nasties. Build up of leaves and other debris canprevent the escape of the moisture. Of course your guess is as good as mine as to whether this is all a bit apocraphyl. It's probably good 'market speak'by the filter manufacturers and the garages. It seems that you could be better off running without one as long as (as Dave says above) you have good nose hair!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
tezsw3 said:
It can (apparently) also lead to a build up of moisture which, if not channelled away, could cause corrosion and also provide a perfect breeding ground for little nasties. Build up of leaves and other debris canprevent the escape of the moisture.
Hmm... The filter is just one way. There is a drain for any water that collects in the ducting. For the air, there must be an exit port in the car somewhere - what happens to all the air that gets blown in?

I'm sure design of the ducting plays a part though. In the Ceed the air flows downwards through the filter so that everything that reaches it remains sat on it. In the KA, the air has to flow upwards through it and it remains free of anything lumpy.

I have read all sorts of stories & solutions about filters &
smells. Some is logical, some isn't so I guess Chinese whispers plays a
big part of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a newbie to Kias but used to be a club official for the Volvo Owners Club where we had a similar issue with the cabin air filter replacement situation and fairly relaxed recommendations in the UK for replacement.

our experience was that ignoring regular cabin air filter replacements meant that the air conditioning evaporator could get coated with gunk and start to corrode.

If you've ever looked at any Youtube video for evaporator replacement you will see that it involves getting EVERYTHING out of the car, with the almost certain result that everything replaced will creak or rattle due to broken or missing fasteners, unless of course you do it yourself.

My advice is treat cabin air filters like engine air filters and replace regularly.

Where I live now air conditioning is a permanent feature of any journey so I will attempt to practice what I preach.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts