Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would impart my findings to other prospective online buyers. I wanted a new Kia Sportage 3 and did not want to pay more than absolutely necessary so obviously my investigations turned to an online purchase. There are literally dozens of sellers offering many deals, one of which involves your buying the car with a large discount and being the legal owner but NOT the registered keeper. The seller retains the 'paperwork' and remains the registered keeper for about 6 months in order that you get a 'fleet' discount.
Please don't hold me to account, but my research leads me to believe there are certain pitfalls in this system as follows;
1. Some insurance companies will not insure you if you are not the registered keeper.
2.If you do get insurance, some companies will not provide you with a replacement new car if yours is written off within the first 12 months if you are NOT the registered keeper. Some mention about the car being second hand as fleet operated?
3. The registered keeper can raise finance on the vehicle ????? Think about it!
There are BIG discounts to be had from main dealers by haggling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all
I agree ! I'm about to buy the 1.6 2 GDi and after some haggling have got it down to just under £17000 inc 2 free services and a few other extras.

I did look online extensively but you can't haggle for the extras and I'd rather be able to speak to someone face to face.

Love to know if anyone else has that model?!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Geoff,

I believe you're correct on all counts and as for the dealer raising finance against the vehicle I hadn't even thought about it. Buyer beware!

However..... I once (when they first came out) bought a brand new Astra 2ltr Turbo Sporthatch from the UKCarBroker. I saved over 5k and it wasn't classed as an import, I had the full 3 year warrantee on the vehicle and it was full UK spec. I remember throwing my toys out of the pram with Direct Line until they finaly caved in and insured me (because I wasn't the registered keeper) The UKCarBroker has been going for some time and I didn't experience any issues with them. I believe they are saving you the VAT on the vehicle and passing some of that saving on to you. They're only on the log book for 6 months.

Most recently I purchased a VW Polo from Motor Point in Newport. This was a problem. I saved 2k on the car but VW gave me less than 2 yrs warrantee (the clock started the moment the dealer took the car from the VW factory in Malta) I was made to feel very uncomfortable any time I took it in for warrantee work (I suppose the dealership wouldn't be best pleased seeing me pocket their profit) and then when I tried to PX it anyone would have thought I had stolen the flipping thing. Finaly Mini took it off my hands without flinching.

Good luck with saving money. It can be done you just have to be canny and think ahead to when you want to move on.

I'm chuffed with my FE and I didn't get any discount per se, Just got it before the VAT increase and it was well spec'ed for the money. I still think it was/is worth every penny.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts