Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would impart my findings to other prospective online buyers. I wanted a new Kia Sportage 3 and did not want to pay more than absolutely necessary so obviously my investigations turned to an online purchase. There are literally dozens of sellers offering many deals, one of which involves your buying the car with a large discount and being the legal owner but NOT the registered keeper. The seller retains the 'paperwork' and remains the registered keeper for about 6 months in order that you get a 'fleet' discount.
Please don't hold me to account, but my research leads me to believe there are certain pitfalls in this system as follows;
1. Some insurance companies will not insure you if you are not the registered keeper.
2.If you do get insurance, some companies will not provide you with a replacement new car if yours is written off within the first 12 months if you are NOT the registered keeper. Some mention about the car being second hand as fleet operated?
3. The registered keeper can raise finance on the vehicle ????? Think about it! There are BIG discounts to be had from main dealers by haggleing.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
In my experience with main dealers, it was if they didn't want to sell me a car. I wanted to buy a car for cash, no messing about, quick sale, but they woudn'tbudge much at all on the price, so I bought on line and they lost the sale.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts