Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New member here, hoping to get a lot out of this forum.

I am purchasing a 2016 Sportage tomorrow. Is there anything I should be checking prior to handing over my money?

Thanks, :)

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Check that the service history is up to date and if non dealer services you will need all the detailed invoices specifying parts and fluids used, and that the annual bodywork inspections have been performed (also recorded in service book). Without these any warranty claim might be rejected.

You will need the manual..

Also check that the satnav works - a surprising number of second user Sportages turn up without the SD card (contains the maps) and they are dear to replace.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,416 Posts
With the some 2016 models, if you can test drive while the car and this weather is cold, listen for a creaking sound when steering. It only happens in cold weather and there is a fix involving replacing the top of the suspension units. Also some people found the steering to be twitchy, again there is a fix which involves some magic grease (use the search function at the top of the forums for more info).
Agree with Turnup, service history is vital, the Kia seven year warranty is dependant on them. The SD stores the maps, if its not in the car the sat nav won't work.
Don't get me wrong I love the Sportage it's a great car (I'm on my second), but don't buy one if you worry about MPG, they are big old lumps with all the aerodynamics of a brick.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You dont mention if its a manual or auto? Sadly manual gearbox failure seems to becoming a way of life for these, they loose syncromesh on 4th, 5th and 6th gears leading to a crunching when you change up or down gears. If the clutch feels heavy or the action is poor then reject the car, this normally leads to syncro damage and it wont be covered under warranty

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the some 2016 models, if you can test drive while the car and this weather is cold, listen for a creaking sound when steering. It only happens in cold weather and there is a fix involving replacing the top of the suspension units. Also some people found the steering to be twitchy, again there is a fix which involves some magic grease (use the search function at the top of the forums for more info).
Agree with Turnup, service history is vital, the Kia seven year warranty is dependant on them. The SD stores the maps, if its not in the car the sat nav won't work.
Don't get me wrong I love the Sportage it's a great car (I'm on my second), but don't buy one if you worry about MPG, they are big old lumps with all the aerodynamics of a brick.
@mr.macspot superb thanks. Aerodynamics of a brick 🤣🙂

Garage offers to return it if issues and there is so can give it a good test in their cold weather with what you have advised.

Has FSH and just passed MOT with no advisories which gives some comfort.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check that the service history is up to date and if non dealer services you will need all the detailed invoices specifying parts and fluids used, and that the annual bodywork inspections have been performed (also recorded in service book). Without these any warranty claim might be rejected.

You will need the manual..

Also check that the satnav works - a surprising number of second user Sportages turn up without the SD card (contains the maps) and they are dear to replace.
Hi why will I need the manual? I'll check it has it. Thanks

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Hi why will I need the manual? I'll check it has it. Thanks

Because these cars contain many complex systems and some folk on here struggle to understand how to operate them even with the manual.

Without the manual would you know how to turn off the alarm system cabin sensors, or the Traction Cntrol system, activate auto defigging, set the doors to lock when moving at speed, control the Lane Keep function, cause the door mirrors to auto fold, use the auto dipping main beams, make the headlights stay on for a while after you lock the car, check the tyre pressures while driving......et ever so very cetara.? You may or may not have these features on your model, and there are plenty more possible.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Hmmm, check how much milage left on the tyres...there expensive...:rolleyes:but still lov mine...enjoy
last set I bought were £75 per corner which did not seem too bad.

They are "budget" tyres but they are round and black and reach exactly to the road surface so what's not to like?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts