Kia Owners Club Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
As I understand it, any servicing garage can do the work provided they use KIA parts and itemise them on the invoice.
Correct! Well, more accurately, it needs to be a VAT-registered garage/repairer but nothing in the Block Exemption legislation tells us that when one encounters difficulty with the manufacturer or their franchised agents over a's charges for all servicing so that there is no question warranty claim, there will be lots of aggro for the unfortunate claimant.

Choices as to how to respond are: Citizen's advice; a solicitor with a view to legal enforcement or, have the car put right elsewhere, if the manufacturer won't play ball. Guess which might be the cheapest and quickest remedy! My own view as a KIA owner is to pay the KIA dealer to maintain the car as per KIA's schedule. Maybe I could save a little by using a respected independent or lots, by doing all my own maintenance but KIA dealer charges are very reasonable within the motor trade so I'm happy to pay them as I'm a bit long in the tooth to be crawling underneath cars and have no off-road parking these days.

Reactions: Fullchat

·
Registered
185 Posts
@VauxhallandI : I bought from Cazoo, and they provided courtesy cars several times. They took the car to their own garage, Kia dealer and sorted out every problem. I was never ever without vehicles either they provided thei own or via Enterprise. My car has some rattle issues which could not be resolved- I took the car to Kia dealership, and Cazoo paid like £150 for diagnosis, but the Kia dealer could not find the problem. Overall, Cazoo/Cinch are generally good, however, I do not rely on their 200-300 points checks. Like you, I got better value for partex and they accepted Amex that gave me money back. Read Trustpilot reviews.

·
Registered
30 Posts
At the present the jury is out as to Kia servicing. I bought a 2017 Niro from a Kia dealer last July. It had 3 Kia service stamps in the book and now has a 4th from March this year. Now I assumed that the car would have been checked over before sale, but when I got home found the front near side wheel arch cover to have been caught and pulled out of line, as was the cover over the vent in the front of the wheel arch.. When the first cold spell came, the rear window de mist/icer was not fully clearing the window, due to the wires being broken. This was replaced under warranty, but not when it went into have the service done, had another trip back for this work.
Then on the MOT, had an advisory, that the rear tyres walls were deteriating and worn on the inner part tread. Having not done many miles last year, due to covid, approx 2,000, feel they were swapped at some time when the car was put up for sale. The car had just under 27,000 miles when I purchased it.

·
Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
6,868 Posts
At the present the jury is out as to Kia servicing. I bought a 2017 Niro from a Kia dealer last July. It had 3 Kia service stamps in the book and now has a 4th from March this year. Now I assumed that the car would have been checked over before sale, but when I got home found the front near side wheel arch cover to have been caught and pulled out of line, as was the cover over the vent in the front of the wheel arch.. When the first cold spell came, the rear window de mist/icer was not fully clearing the window, due to the wires being broken. This was replaced under warranty, but not when it went into have the service done, had another trip back for this work.
Then on the MOT, had an advisory, that the rear tyres walls were deteriating and worn on the inner part tread. Having not done many miles last year, due to covid, approx 2,000, feel they were swapped at some time when the car was put up for sale. The car had just under 27,000 miles when I purchased it.
MOT advisories are just that. You could have asked them to change the tyres when you bought it. Tyres are a consumable and wear over time.
Heated rear window, how do you test if it's warm and not misted up? Yes you can run a electrical test. But that will only show it works, not that one track is broken. Add in who's to say it did not get broken when being cleaned? at some point.

Reactions: phil866

·
Registered
42 Posts
@VauxhallandI : I bought from Cazoo, and they provided courtesy cars several times. They took the car to their own garage, Kia dealer and sorted out every problem. I was never ever without vehicles either they provided thei own or via Enterprise. My car has some rattle issues which could not be resolved- I took the car to Kia dealership, and Cazoo paid like £150 for diagnosis, but the Kia dealer could not find the problem. Overall, Cazoo/Cinch are generally good, however, I do not rely on their 200-300 points checks. Like you, I got better value for partex and they accepted Amex that gave me money back. Read Trustpilot reviews.
Good to hear that Cazoo are proving reliable too. Indeed I don't trust anyone's 200 point checks either.

How long did Cazoo help with issues? Was it 90 days like Cinch?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Well, the car turned up. Seems to be nice and clean. Dives OK no rattles or bangs. No MOT certs with the car. I will have to get copies when the V5 turns up.
No real dramas to speak of other than I was forced to tax it, so lost a month. I wanted to wait a few days and start September, I was told the code supplied was valid for 24hours. I suspect that the number supplied is off the green slip, but can't confirm that.
The delivery driver trundled off with old KX4, so I assume all is OK on their side.
Let's see how it goes over the next 14 days......

·
Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
6,868 Posts
Well, the car turned up. Seems to be nice and clean. Dives OK no rattles or bangs. No MOT certs with the car. I will have to get copies when the V5 turns up.
No real dramas to speak of other than I was forced to tax it, so lost a month. I wanted to wait a few days and start September, I was told the code supplied was valid for 24hours. I suspect that the number supplied is off the green slip, but can't confirm that.
The delivery driver trundled off with old KX4, so I assume all is OK on their side.
Let's see how it goes over the next 14 days......
You do not get MOT certs now it's all online.

Reactions: iaindykes191

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
500 Posts
Whilst you can look up MOT details online, to say you don't get MOT certificates is wholly incorrect. I had a car MOT'd 2 weeks ago and got handed a full printed certificate when I took it away.

·
Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
6,868 Posts
Whilst you can look up MOT details online, to say you don't get MOT certificates is wholly incorrect. I had a car MOT'd 2 weeks ago and got handed a full printed certificate when I took it away.
OK. You get a white bit of paper. Not like the old MOT certs you used to get. (y)
Some garages do not give them out. I know the one I used to use never did, as they never had any paper in the printer 🤦‍♂️

Also if it has old owners address/name etc. Companies should not be passing them on as it is a breech of GDPR.
Which is why the V5 no longer has previous owner details on it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
As I said in the first line I will get them when the V5 turns up as you need the long code off the V5 document. No biggy.
I have my TVR MOT'd a while back at my local Halfords and they supplied the printed piece of paper. I like to keep them as part of the history.

·
Registered
2016 Cee'd crdi 3 5dr
5 Posts
I was wondering if the forum members were aware that Cinch is owned by BCA ( British Car Auctions) and the cars they sell are mainly from lease/rental sources and other large fleet companies. It is only usually privately owned cars and very small fleets that have their servicing done by a main franchised dealer. Most of the lease/rental and big fleets have deals with nationwide servicing centres such as Halfords Auto-Centres, Kwik-Fit and the like. So unless you are given specific proof of the parts/oils and filters of each service used by these centres, a main dealer will not entertain any mechanical issues under warranty. BCA also own "WeBuyAnyCar.Com" so you might be lucky and get a car that has been owned by a private user that had their pride and joy serviced regularly at his/her local main dealer and has a stamped service book to prove it. With carmakers warranties as long as up to 7 years, that fully stamped Kia history book is more important than ever.

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
319 Posts
I was wondering if the forum members were aware that Cinch is owned by BCA ( British Car Auctions) and the cars they sell are mainly from lease/rental sources and other large fleet companies. It is only usually privately owned cars and very small fleets that have their servicing done by a main franchised dealer. Most of the lease/rental and big fleets have deals with nationwide servicing centres such as Halfords Auto-Centres, Kwik-Fit and the like. So unless you are given specific proof of the parts/oils and filters of each service used by these centres, a main dealer will not entertain any mechanical issues under warranty. BCA also own "WeBuyAnyCar.Com" so you might be lucky and get a car that has been owned by a private user that had their pride and joy serviced regularly at his/her local main dealer and has a stamped service book to prove it. With carmakers warranties as long as up to 7 years, that fully stamped Kia history book is more important than ever.

I had a service at Halfords. Advertised as manufacturer and warranty approved. I got a receipt with all part numbers and oil spec used etc. I wouldn't normally go there but I founded them to be spot on

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Well, being as this has popped up again some months later, and this is the first time on here since the original question,
My replacement car was a Jaguar, It appeared to be full main dealership serviced, although this is online, the downside is it was serviced (supposedly by Cinch) as stated by email, but this does not show on the Jaguar portal. This cannot be added unless an independent has paid for access or main dealer entered. So It would appear In this case that the service appears to stop (no service book to sign either).
The 90 day warranty seems to work, as it developed a steering noise turning left after about a week. The main dealer replaced the track rod end under Cinch warranty, although can't track a car for toffee, been back but still not right, so will have to pay to have it done properly.

·
Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
99 Posts
I had a Jag xe. I'm pretty sure that the online servicing history can be updated if you have a receipt. I recall some owners emailing details to jaguar and the system was updated.
If you have a receipt I would go to the XE forum, I'm sure someone will help with the email address.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
@Faltwen thanks for the reply. Sorry a bit off-topic and especially car, however....

I think in the past that was the case. My reply above is my experience having spoken to a local dealership, they were not interested, probably due to the agro of admin for no monetary gain.
GDPR has a lot to answer for all sorts hide behind it (DVLA past owners for example)....It Is a good get-out clause. I assume other car manufacturers would adopt this approach.
In fact many moons ago I had a Chrysler, and that was the case back then, service all online, that must have been circa 15 years ago.
As can be seen, Jaguar UK GDPR has put paid to this see extract from the online service portal (see last section).
As a point of interest something to consider If anyone is thinking of moving away from KIA.
I do keep an eye on prices, seems as though secondhand Sportages are still rising in price or steadily high?

Extract

"Should you have services carried out by an Independent Motor Trader your local Jaguar Retailer may also be able to add these to your Service History. Alternatively your Independent Motor Trader is able to register for access to TOPIx - our vehicle maintenance database. From there they may be able to request access to update the Online Servicing History on your behalf (*)

(*) - Varies by market. Functionality not available in all markets.

Due to GDPR requirements, we are no longer able to accept service amendments directly on the platform. These can be loaded by your local Jaguar Retailer or Independent Motor Trader directly as detailed above."

·
Registered
2021 Proceed gt line shooting break.
5 Posts
Before settling on my main dealership purchase i checked out Cinch only to find that their prices are massively inflated. Yes i understand that they need profit but come on!

41 - 60 of 66 Posts