Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi al
I'm buying either a Sportage or Kadjar in months, 2017 with around 20,000 miles and would greatly appreciate advice from owners on a few aspects

I do around 8,000 miles a year, should l buy a petrol or diesel?
I have had the usual egr issues on previous cars

What is the real world mpg of the 1.6 petrol, my daily journeys are rural towns 10 to 20 miles a time, and the odd 150 mile motorway
I'm well retired(!!!) and although no speed merchant do like to keep up with the flow

Is the 7 year warranty fully transferable to the new owner, l guess full Kia SH is needed?

Must have include cruise control and parking sensors
Mobile phone mirroring for sat nav - unless the installed sat nav is worthy

Desirables,but unlikely - adaptive cruise and city braking

Any issues l should look for

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this, l look forward to being a contributing member in a few months time

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi al
I'm buying either a Sportage or Kadjar in months, 2017 with around 20,000 miles and would greatly appreciate advice from owners on a few aspects

I do around 8,000 miles a year, should l buy a petrol or diesel? ----( Petrol would be the obvious choice)
I have had the usual egr issues on previous cars

What is the real world mpg of the 1.6 petrol, my daily journeys are rural towns 10 to 20 miles a time, and the odd 150 mile motorway
I'm well retired(!!!) and although no speed merchant do like to keep up with the flow -----( I have a 1.6T petrol AWD GT Line it has average 35mpg over my 2 years or ownership, using the brim to brim method)

Is the 7 year warranty fully transferable to the new owner, l guess full Kia SH is needed? -----(Yes & Yes)

Must have include cruise control and parking sensors (you need to check each model carefully mine has cruise & parking sensors + reversing camera)
Mobile phone mirroring for sat nav - unless the installed sat nav is worthy -----( you need to select a model with factory sat-nav fitted to get carplay & android auto, mine does)

Desirables, but unlikely - adaptive cruise and city braking----- (again you need to check model by model, mine does not)

Any issues l should look for

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this, l look forward to being a contributing member in a few months time

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot for the replies, i'll consider the cost for the petrol v's diesel before l commit

City braking assists in avoiding front end collisions by applying the brakes if it sense you're heading for someone's rear end....would have prevented my dear wife doing that that recently.

Reading further about both that and adaptive cruise they depend on infra red detectors sited behind the bumper, and have read of one owner getting a £600 plus bill to replace one with a damaged bracket which seemed to have been inflicted by a n other probably parking unbeknown to him. Suddenly they aren't that attractive anymore

Is the Kia warranty honest, in that l mean do many claimants get refused when claiming?
General question unfortunately, but just trying to get a steer on it's true merit

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
KIA call that AEB (automatic emergency braking) Dunno where the term "city braking" comes from but the KIA system works on all roads!

The KIA ACC and AEB uses front facing radar, and it does seem that it is vulnerable to mechanical damage, also will not work if too much build up of snow/grime on the cover. On the down side some users on here report rather enthusiastic reactions to normal traffic resulting in unexpected full on emergency stop and, while AEB might prevent or mitifgate a collision in front, it might also contribute to a rear end shunt with the non AEB car behind. It's always a balance of risks and harm.

WRT the warranty - many folk on here have had positive experiences, myself included. Some dealers need a lot of persuading on some issues such as wheel corrosion, and of course there are always folk who believe that the warranty should cover absolutely any problem no matter how caused. Be sure that all required services have been carried out within 1000 miles or 1 month of the specified service intervals. If servicing is not by a KIA dealer then also need VAT reciepts showing that all parts used were to KIA spec.

WRT diesel vs petrol, cost of fuel should be your least consideration. At a mere 8k miles per year the difference is trivial. More significant is the issues all low mileage diesels face with DPF and ERG clog ups. Also bear in mind the increasingly hostile stance many councils are taking to diesels.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My experience of warranty on a Piccanto 1 , very basic car, is that they replaced a brake light switch at year 6 with no quibble at the dealer where I bought it and have had it serviced. I do not go there now as out of warranty as I was stung for a £450 repair of a rear wheel ABS sensor ( year 8) The following year I had the other side go which I repaired for £46.22. ( Had to buy code reader) Beware of dealer repairs.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Only advice I can give is avoid the Sportage 1, it's the base model and lacks some of the extra toys the other models have. As I've often mentioned elsewhere in the forums some facelift 2016/17 Sportages suffered from creaky steering when turning, only present when the temperature drops below 10C. It's the only problem I've had with my car. It should fixed under warranty by replacing the suspension struts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts