Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Been looking to get rid of my boring Focus and its now down to a mk5 SPAM or a Ceed. For the same money I can get a none too special 2004-05 SPAM or a 2007-08 Ceed with usb-port, steering wheel stereo controls, front arm-rest, 16 inch alloys, and of course the 7 year warranty balance, and cracking good looks in that dark metallic blue they come in. Just a couple of questions please really before I get one...

1. Mostly city driving what mpg can I realistically get from a 1.6 petrol automatic? I'm a bit heavy footed with the Focus but only coz its really under-powered, whereas the Ceed I test drove seemed to have a lot more power, and I guess the fuel injection helps too.
2. The warranty, does it really cover all non wear and tear items?
3. Does the warranty include breakdown cover? My nearest dealer is about 15 miles away from home so wouldn't be too cheap to have to get it towed there if ever needed.

Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Cannot help you with the fuel consumption since ours is a diesel manual but I can garantee that you would not be disapointed with a Ceed after a Focus. Changed our Focus C-Max last September for a Ceed SW and have not regretted the decision. Looking at the official fuel consumption figures and the Honest John site it would seem reasonable to expect the mid 30's overall, maybe slightly less since you say its mostly city driving.

The Kia warranty is described as "bumber to bumper" and covers the whole vehicle for 7 years except clutch, brake discs and linings (clutch and brakesare covered for manufacturing defects if proven), air con refridgerant (2 years), battery (2 years) and paint (5 years), bulbs and probably several other small wear and tear/service items. This link should help, all the info is there. http://www.kia.co.uk/New-Cars/7-year-warranty.aspx?utm_campaign=Brand_Expanded&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=kia_warranty?utm_campaign=Brand+Expanded&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=kia+warranty&gclid=CMqBxovNsKoCFdNc4QodUSXR8Q The important thing is all the important and expensive bits are covered provided that the car has been serviced to the Kia schedule (think its 10000 miles or a year for petrols) by either a Kai garage or a VAT registered independant garage using Kia parts.

Warranty only includes breakdown cover for the first 12 months but I normally buy our cover from Aviva, a policy that covers me and the Mrs either as driver or passenger in any car regardless of whether we own it, breakdown, recovery and onward travel is about £70 a year.

Know what you mean about G o l f s, had 3 in the past but there was no way that they were worth £5000 more than a Ceed of the same age/spec even if the sales persons could have been bothered to get off their fat corporate a***s and actually speak to us.

Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Bianconero

word of warning on the petrol 1.6 Ceed. The fuel consumption ispoor , I'm very economical with my driving , and whilst the fuel consumption has slightly improved as the engine has worn in , it's still poor .

A trip from Newcastle - Bristol - Liverpool - Newcastle last weekabout 95% ( guess ! ) motorway driving at 70-75 mph returned 39 MPG . slightly better than the consistant 36 MPG it had previously been getting but I would have expected more on a modern vvti engine.

Note - these real figures are nowhere near the " claimed " figures in the KIA brochure , which I have found unachievable .

Whats more , the performance is also poor , unless you work/rev the engine very hard , but then your economy will totally suffer . I have driven a new Focus 1.6 petrol , and although less powerful and down on times in a straight line , it will always outperform the KIA due to it's superior handling.

Of course , you'll need the Automatic if you are in London and I would not expect you to get any sort of decent MPG .

HOWEVER ....... I am actually really fond of theCeed !! and the build quality is excellent , not to mention I have had not one bit of bother from it in 16000 miles !! It's also very comfortable . These are nice little cars that are very well designed and well built . ( MPG aside LOL ! )

enjoy if you buy

adrian.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to you both for your replies, some useful and relevant info there.

Interesting to see the name G o l f in my original post has been over-written, never seen that before.

Paul - cheers for that yeah I'll get my own breakdown cover, at £70 a year its not goping to break the bank.

Adrian - You ever driven a Focus 1.6 auto? Nothing takes more effort to get up to speed! I have to push it so hard that my read-out shows 25.1 mpg. I know it's mostly town driving but even so! I sold the BMW because I was only getting 26mpg and that was a 1.9 auto petrol lol. I test drove a Ceed at the weekend and it seems to fly off at the lights compared to the Focus, the Focus makes a lot of noise but doesnt get anywhere fast.

Almost certain I'm going to give the G o l f s a miss, now to barter the price down on the Kia I've seen. Will let you know if I get it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi, I see the warranty points have been well answered for you. What I can tell you is that my wife and I recently bought a 2008 petrol manual 1.4 SR7 5 door, and we are thrilled with it!

Regarding mpg, whilst it's early days for us, I tell you, hand on heart, we are averaging 38 to 41mpg around town. Yes, I'm gob-smacked, and have meticulously worked it out beyond simply going by the OBD reading. IE I've done the simple calculation of how many miles against how many litres (converted to gallons) we've driven. And those figures are very close to what the OBD reads too!

We haven't found a single fault with it yet - happily playing CDs, radio and MP3s through the USB port. Controls on the wheel is still a novelty for us, having had a 10 year old Corolla previously. We did look at the focus, but it simply didn't stand up against the Cee'd as an overall package. The overall spec of the new focus 1.6 is not much better than the 2007-2008 1.4 Cee'd from what we have read, and of course the insurance / tax is cheaper.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I beg to differ with the opinions so far. My Ceed SW 1.6 diesel is now two years old with 20000 miles on it, and it is, in 40 years of motoring, the worst car I have ever owned. The hifi packed up after 8000 miles - I was left without one for 5 weeks while they tried to fix it - only a threat to Kia UK got the dealer to 'loan' me one for another 4 weeks until mine was fixed. The trim is noisy -I'm on my second rattling parcel shelf ( I just take it out if anybody's going to be sitting in the back ). the rear view mirror rattled (sounds like it's the dash board, a well-known fault) until they rebuilt it, the driver's seat makes an appalling creak and rattles as the notches on the slider don't seem to line up properly. Worst of all, there's now a loud clunk from the brake pedal (''they all do that sir'')a backlash clunk from the transmission (''they all do that sir'') and a metallic rattle from the gearbox once it's warmed up (''they all do that sir'').What with the brakes and the transmission I travel down the road in a series of clunks. Oh, and today I've had the 2 year service @ £294 - they phoned me to tell me that I also needed a new pollen filter @ £32 and the air con recharging @ £89. Thats £415 for a service. I'm in the middle of a complaint to Kia UK.
The reason people buy Kias is for the warranty - it's not worth much in my experience. Ask yourself this - if they're that good, why do all the fleets still use Vauxhall and Ford, with 4 years less warranty? Check out all the other websites about these cars and read a bit about the problems I have mentioned - they're quite common! Maybe you'll get lucky and get a decent one but if you get a Friday afternoon job like me you'll be stuffed. I just want to get rid of mine - I can't sell it privately in this state so I'll have to take some derisory part-ex offer for a decent car. I would look elsewhere if I were you, but if you do buy one, make sure you get a decent test drive and get the whole thing properly warmed up, and don't expect much from the warranty - they really don't like spending money on your car.

·
Registered
116 Posts
And herein lies the problem of the internet overall.... From hotel reviews to restaurants to vehicles - you tend to get two "extremes" those like myself, very happy experience, to those like boysie who has clearly had a very bad time. Of course, neither of us are right or wrong! Just experience and opinion. I've heard about real bad dealer experience, whereas I've struck gold (including sorting out two warranty issues which should have been sorted before I bought ours, and all went smoothly with my local dealer).

I guess you are hearing from the vibrant Monday morning and late Friday afternoon customers.

Boysie is quite right - get a good decent test drive and ask lots of questions re the vehicles history (applies to all makes of course!)

·
Registered
116 Posts
No, actually I did, which I covered in my first posting under the newbie section. "Newbie - SR7 information" (Bianconero, you might find some of it helpful). And the irony being that it was KIA Head Office that advised and helped me out to get the two warranty issues sorted!! I do concede there's another KIA dealer nearer to me who has a reputation for unhelpfulness, so I made some enquiries and found the next nearest who sorted the two warranty issues on KIA H.O.'s instructions, and now this dealer will be doing my services (fixed prices way below the joker you have had to suffer - and I'm genuinely sorry to hear what you've experienced!)

·
Registered
14 Posts
So you did, David SR7-my apologies. I had SOME warranty work, in that they changed my rattling parcel shelf for a replacement rattling parcel shelf and fixed my radio eventually. Today, I've been to pick the car up after the service - only charged me £230 in the end (I didn't have the pollen filter or air con done as I'm getting shot of it asap). On questioning from me, they admitted that the car knocks and rattles, but ...wait for it ..''they all do that sir'' - perfectly normal for this vehicle! I asked what they said to test-driving potential customers who mentioned the rattling and knocking ( because they ALL do it!) but they said I'd need to talk to sales, who were all busy.
Still, I got it in writing that it DOES rattle and knock, and that they all do that, so you might come across me handing out copies to potential customers at a dealer near you some day soon.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Two options here, boysie has either got the worst dealer in world history or he is making it all up.

Air Con refill is covered for 2 years under warranty thus should be done free.

No garage would confirm in writing that it knocks and rattles and they all do that.If they did send it to What Car, Auto Express, Which , Kia etc. rather than standing outside innocent dealersand wait for the sh1t to hit the fan.

Presumingyou do own a vehicle find a different dealer, there are plenty of good ones out there who will sort it, far cheaper than changing cars..

Paul

·
Registered
14 Posts
Suttonseven - Ring Sutton Park Renault/ Kia in Coventry and ask them for the price of a two year service, then ask how much more for a pollen filter change and an air con recharge.
I'm not making this up - I just wish I'd never bought this lousy car. I'm retired and like most people I bought it for the seven year warranty - BIG mistake.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Pollen filters are not expensive and if you look in your service book it will tell you that Air-Con recharges are covered for 2 years, after that a re-charge is on free if its combined with other work to the system, new compressor as an example.

For god sake find another dealer, have had to do this with Fords and VW's in the past and there are good dealers out there. E-mail or send a copy of the letter from your dealer to Kia HQ, bet they would be delighted to know all their cars rattle.

Most people on here are genuinely happy with their cars even when they have had problems, the Ceed does very well in all the customer satisfaction surveys thus its reasonable to assume you have a bad dealer. Noting that they share their dealership with Renault who perform consistently poorly in customer satisfaction surveys makes me realise why you are having problems.

Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
My SW has absolutely NO rattles whatsover - which is rare on ANY car ( touching wood here mind.... ! )

The only quality issue I have is that reverse gear sometimes does not fully engage and it sounds like an old Vauxhall Viva being put into gear without depressing the clutch , not to mention the embarrasment of looking like a right tool .

Another thing to consider when buying a Ceed , is that its deprication is absolutely frightening , so if you buy one , make sure it's a good one and keep it for a few years . Get the dealer to throw in proper KIA mats , they are very good quality and set the interior off very nicely .

adrian

·
Registered
116 Posts
I can't think why you would haveany reason to be less 100% upfront Boysie. However, do take note of Suttonsteve's comments and advice, as I've read many of his postings and found him to be pretty much spot on.

I can't abide rattles and clanks, and would be the first to be making a fuss about it. But you only have to read through the KIA forum's hundreds and hundreds of posts to see there are many (most) satisfied KIA owner / drivers. If there was one specific fault which cropped up repeatedly, we'd all be on the phone to KIA -andeventually KIA recognises it as being a "Known issue" (different to a recall, but amounting to the same) and resolves it. A classic example was where many cee'd owners found that the door locking mechanism often stuck in below 0 temperatures. KIA acknowledged this, and this was one of the faults they fixed (including on mine even though I had bought as pre-owned!)

Again, there'sI don'tdoubt you have had possibly one of the worst experiences of KIA - car and dealer - but this clearly is not typical or you'd be reading about it on this Forum.
Edited by: DavidSR7

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well it seems all bar one person is happy with heir Kia. Having owned a fair few cars over the years and in modern times always researching on the net before purchasing I've never seen such a showing of positive comments, and thats not to say I've dismissed your comments Boysie.

I can imagine depreciation to be a bit of a bugg*r but on the other hand shouldn't the warranty count for something when coming to sell it on? Anyhow when I eventually buy I'll be looking to keep for 2-3 years minimum, too much dam paperwork involved changing cars these days!

Thanks for all comments and will let you know if the dealer accepts the offer I made.

·
Registered
14 Posts
bianconero - try http;// www.kia-forums.com

This is a direct word for word quote from the engineer's report given to me when I picked my car up from Sutton Park Coventry yesterday:

'Carried out extended road test on vehicle got g/box to maximum g/box temperature, tested gear selection whilst hot with vehicle rolling selecting 1st and 2nd a metallic clonking can be heard from rte experience this is a normal characteristic of vehicle and does not indicate a fault'

So there you are - all your lovely Kia Ceeds clonk, just like mine.

(The above is actually progress - a year ago they told me that there was a loose washer on the gearbox, which they greased!)

Anyway, good luck if you DO buy one, and if you DO have trouble get back to me on this blog - I'm developing some skills in dealing with these people now.

Have to go - got to write to Jeremy Clarkson to see how they cope with the clonking in their Ceed and what all the Stars in a Reasonably Priced Car made of the noise!

·
Registered
14 Posts
DavidSR7 - see the above quote to bianconero, Sutton Park could sue me if I was making this up. I've got the engineer's report in front of me now.
I reckon their build qualty is suspect, and that I've got a faulty transmission , clutch or something. You may have been luckier, but the point is that if you DO get a bummer the warranty is no use - they just deny it, or say it's normal (lesson one in car salesman school!) and you can either take 'em to court or lose out. Their main selling point is the 7 year warranty - that's why most people buy them. Mine has 5 years warranty left and it clonks - having been been forced to admit this after a year, they now say it's normal.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
boysie
You won't get you car fixed on here, get in touch with Kia, go to another garage, go to trading standards, get an independant engineers report if all eles fails. If there is a problem they will have to sort it under the terms of the warranty. People on here have had problems with Ceeds and other Kias and in the main the dealer has sorted them with no argument.

Our car has no rattles or creaks and the transmission does not clonk thus your car is not normal. Go back to Sutton Park if you must and get them to take you out in another car to prove to you that "they all do that sir".

One family on our street has just bought a new Picanto, its the 3rd Picanto the lady of the house has had now since they were introduced. Husband is on his 3rd Sedona, they were happy with Kia when I spoke to them before buying ours and must still be happy after buying another.

You unfortunately appear to have a problematic car and a terrible dealer, the worst possible combination. I have had aproblematic car in the pastbut luckily hada good dealer who sorted it, bought another car from him and will happily buy another in the years ahead. Also had a good car from a bad dealer who physicallythreatened me in the showroom when I was only going to congratulate the body shop on a nice job and ask them to tighten the aerial since it was loose, didn't get chance to speak,never been back since. Directors were not interested and neither was the manufacturer.

Paul

·
Registered
116 Posts
Boysie, I thinkwe are moving into the realms of stupidity! Let me get this right - you have a piece of paper "claiming" all Cee'ds "allegedly"have a "clonking noise", so for all of us who do not "hear" a clonking noise we are either: 1)Stone deaf, 2) In denial and/or 3) Downright liars!!!!

And, I hate to tell you this, the 7 year warranty was simply 1 (let me repeat this... ONE) factor as to why I chose this car (in my case with4 years warranty remaining and had two issues sorted with no problems or arguments from the dealer/KIA). Thank god your piece of paper doesn't say that all Cee'd have 20+ windows and fly, because I'd have to inform my insurance company that I am the the stunned owner of a KIA.... Aeroplane! Why can't you simply get rid of it - cut your losses, and go buy anything but a KIA, because it won't make any difference to all of the rest of us deaf, deluded, lieing KIA owners?! As Suttoneven has said, all of the Forum members can not do a single thing to help you. All we can do is share our experience and knowledge, which is clearly very different to yours.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts