Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for the Optima to get it's annual service, so I've done the usual ringing round my local dealers for a price which has thrown up the usual rip-off disparity between dealers with JCT 600 Castleford wanting £324, Ringways Kia Doncaster £316, Marshall Kia Scunthorpe wanting a frankly ridiculous £366, (Evans Halshaw in Hull left me on hold for 10 minutes so they got sacked off) each one when challenged claim they're quoting me Kia prices and that all dealers should 'charge the same' - which is clearly not true as I've just ben quoted £284 from Burrows Kia in Barnsley, so it looks like they will be getting my business for this service so far - does anyone have any experience of this dealer?

Reactions: aircraft

·
Registered
195 Posts
Have you tried getting prices via the Kia website service booking page? I did that for my first Sportage service, having rung round four dealers, and the prices quoted via the website were all different - two lower by up to 10% (the two lowest via the ring round)and two higher by up to 20% (the two highest via the ring round). I would suggest that there is no Kia price for a service - possibly Kia timescales for the job with the dealer's own hourly rates applied to those.

I have no rexperience of Burrows - the four dealers I contacted were JCT600, Castleford (the dearest), Harratts, Wakefield, Ringways, Leeds, and Hammertons, Batley (the cheapest and who are just a Kia service agent not a dealer in any other sense - you can find them via the Kia website if you search using only the service option; they also have their own website).

·
Registered
973 Posts
It's time for the Optima to get it's annual service, so I've done the usual ringing round my local dealers for a price which has thrown up the usual rip-off disparity between dealers with JCT 600 Castleford wanting £324, Ringways Kia Doncaster £316, Marshall Kia Scunthorpe wanting a frankly ridiculous £366, (Evans Halshaw in Hull left me on hold for 10 minutes so they got sacked off) each one when challenged claim they're quoting me Kia prices and that all dealers should 'charge the same' - which is clearly not true as I've just ben quoted £284 from Burrows Kia in Barnsley, so it looks like they will be getting my business for this service so far - does anyone have any experience of this dealer?
What's due to be done on the service?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the main 80k service, so oil, filters and brake fluid.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Lets hope they change all the brake fluid in the system, and not just the bit that the customer can see in the brake fluid reservoir.
Without standing over their shoulders (or a video of the job) it's difficult to know whether they have done the job properly or not.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well like you said unless I stand over them and watch them, which ain't gonna happen then there's nothing I can do about that. So far they've come across as friendly and helpful on the phone with booking in. It's worth noting however that they were very keen to push a service plan on me, which worked out as paying £900 spread over three years so £300 a service, which is dearer than the major service they've just quoted me, so I won't be taking them up on that.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just wondering if you have thought about contacting EMAC direct for a service quote. They provided my wife with a 3 year plan for her Renault Megane which was cheaper than the plan proposed by the Renault dealer. I am not 100% sure whether they offer this for Kia owners, but definitely worth a try if the service plan arrangement is a preference. This is the link for Trustpilot review page if you are interested. https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.emac.ltd.uk

I believe EMAC support a wide range of car manufacturers so no reason why Kia should not be included.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be fair, after this service the next one will be the 100k one and therefore the last one I probably have done at a Kia dealer.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Just wondering if you have thought about contacting EMAC direct for a service quote. They provided my wife with a 3 year plan for her Renault Megane which was cheaper than the plan proposed by the Renault dealer. I am not 100% sure whether they offer this for Kia owners, but definitely worth a try if the service plan arrangement is a preference. This is the link for Trustpilot review page if you are interested. https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.emac.ltd.uk

I believe EMAC support a wide range of car manufacturers so no reason why Kia should not be included.
https://www.kia.com/uk/owners/service-maintenance/service-plans/KiaCareTermsandConditions/

·
Registered
973 Posts
With cameras everywhere these days, it would be very easy & nice if they provided a video of the service.
Or a live camera link which you could view remotely.

Wishful thinking me-thinks.
Maybe they don't the punters to see what they are doing to their cars; or not doing while they are busy ticking boxes on the service sheet.

Why didn't the mechanic use the dipstick to check the engine oil level?

Wonder which dealer will have the courage to be the first one to offer this.........customers will be queuing around the block for their service.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had the service done here today. They've actually acknowledged the dashboard rattle I've got at the base of my windscreen instead of fobbing me off and have booked me in to finally get it sorted which was a welcome development. Everything else seemed to have been carried out well, oil wasn't overfilled, car was valeted nicely.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So they've just rang me to say they've put some special foam in the vent to stop it rattling but have said that my automatic light sensor has fallen behind the dash and now my auto lights may not work, but the worst thing is - they are denying they dropped it there (as they are going to have to remove the dash to retrieve it - how on earth could I be responsible for it being there?) and that it was the thing that was causing the rattle in the first place (despite the fact my auto lights worked perfectly until today).

So the saga with these dealers rolls on...

·
Registered
973 Posts
So they've just rang me to say they've put some special foam in the vent to stop it rattling but have said that my automatic light sensor has fallen behind the dash and now my auto lights may not work, but the worst thing is - they are denying they dropped it there (as they are going to have to remove the dash to retrieve it - how on earth could I be responsible for it being there?) and that it was the thing that was causing the rattle in the first place (despite the fact my auto lights worked perfectly until today).

So the saga with these dealers rolls on...
An unfortunate development.

Mistakes will happen when doing this kind of work, and it's very easy to drop small objects in remote places.
No one likes to admit to a mistake, and it's far easier to blame someone else then own up to it, especially if the technician's job is on the line.

However, they shouldn't try to blame the customer, if the customer had nothing to do with it. That's just wrong on so many levels.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to go absolutely nuts if my auto lights don't work in the morning and they try and blame me. You could just tell on the phone they were trying to pull the wool over my eyes 'have you been having problems with your auto lights?' - no I thought I'd just get you to fix a rattling vent in the hope you'd find out the problem I've got with my lights that I'd conveniently neglected to tell you. I mean, the sensor is behind the grille that THEY have removed today FFS.

I am seriously running out of patience with Kia dealers. The only reason I even took it to them was because I'd got nowhere with two separate dealers in my area.

I think I'm gonna refuse to give back the courtesy car until they sort it out in the morning. I'm fuming!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, it's happening. I'm sat in the dealership now and they're trying to blame me and make out that the light sensor was always dropped down the dash. If that was the case my lights (which I always leave on auto) wouldn't have worked before I brought it to them.

Unbelievably poor attitude from the dealer to blame the customer for something they couldn't possibly have done.

They were trying to get the courtesy car keys off me and giving mine back expecting me to just merrily drive away as soon as I got here too. I'm absolutely raging!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I was at Burrows in Barnsley about 4 weeks ago when we were looking at the Picanto for the wifes uncle. They seemed helpful enough but when tried the hard sell I began to walk. Salesman ran after us offering to help in a different way.

When we were waiting around a couple were looking at the Venga in the showroom and I overheard them asking about a spare tyre. The sales lady said they did not have one. At that point they left since it was a necessity for them. We looked at the Venga a few years ago and I was certain it had a spare so I wnet and looked and low and behold, under the raised floor and a tray there sat a spare. I pointed it out to the sales lady, wonder if the contacted the buyers.

·
Registered
973 Posts
When we were waiting around a couple were looking at the Venga in the showroom and I overheard them asking about a spare tyre. The sales lady said they did not have one. At that point they left since it was a necessity for them. We looked at the Venga a few years ago and I was certain it had a spare so I wnet and looked and low and behold, under the raised floor and a tray there sat a spare. I pointed it out to the sales lady, wonder if the contacted the buyers.
Most of these car sales people are useless. They don't know anything about the products they are selling.
But they do seem to know a lot about the paint protection system and Gap insurance they seem keen on selling to customers.

·
Super Moderator
2,955 Posts
Certainly far as gap insurance goes. It is a regulated product and as such they have to be fully trained to give all the required compliance required to be able to sell it. Or they run the risk of Miss selling.
Hence why they ask you to sign paperwork re this either way.

Would be nice is they were more fully trained on the cars they sell, but guess this is one of the problems with franchises as apposed to a factory dealer.

·
Registered
626 Posts
After 10 mins talking to the salesman at my Kia dealership last week re 2020 Stinger, he said if he needs to know anything about the Stinger he would give me a ring it would be easier lol.

·
Registered
452 Posts
When I was buying mine, one dealer assured me the proceed gt came with lane assist and stop start. Couldn't find them when we went for a test drive strangely. When we bought my wife's pug a few years back, we got all the way to signing for it before a double check of the documents showed it had a different engine to what they sold it as! Never have problems discussing credit, insurance and 'protection' extras tho.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts