Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title, The car is a 2014 Ceed GT 1.6T .

I picked the car up a few months ago now with 22k miles currently at 24k and since day 1 when pushed a little there's always a burning smell coming from the vents, it smells like burning wood with a hint of exhaust smell. The car runs perfectly fine and I have checked around the engine bay for any leaks and it's all bone dry.
The car doesn't get driven hard usually and does a fair bit of town driving... but when it does get pushed a little this smell is always there but will clear up after a few more pulls.
Someone said somewhere that when you hit the pedal hard it dumps a load of excess fuel into the CAT and that would result in burning off carbon deposits within the CAT and as the CAT is located behind the dash maybe that's the cause? I'm not sure how true that is because that would indicate an exhaust leak right?
I just wonder if anyone has encountered this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
Hi and welcome to the forum, Kiren. Excellent choice!

24k is very low mileage for a 2014 car, and you give it a relatively easy life most of the time. Assuming the previous owner also hardly ever troubled the turbo, I reckon all you are experiencing is the smell of the turbo housing, the manifold and its heat shield getting a bit hot. After enough 'cycles', the smell eventually goes away, like with new brakes, new tyres, new exhausts, etc. My GT is on many more miles than yours and has a pretty gentle life, but on those odd occasions I can exercise the engine properly, I still get a whiff of hot metal finishes. There is just enough unintentional ventilation of the engine bay into the scuttle area for some to come through the vents.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, unless the smell gets stronger and/or more frequent, or if it starts to smell more oily or petrolly.

Registered
I had exactly the same thing happen funnily enough at the same mileage I also asked the same questions here, it's just the CAT's burning off the build up of soot, it should ease off soon enough but saying that mine still does it from time to time at 44k if I haven't give the car a thrashing in a while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.