Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody noticed this at the rear passenger side wheel area?, noticed this smell a couple of times when i went to that door to lift my daughter out, i will investigate it myself before taking it to kia.
Intially thought it was brakes although not a smell i would associate with that but both rear discs at same temp and not too hot to touch. Just thought i would throw this out into the forum to see if it has been mentioned before.
Kev

·
Registered
844 Posts
Got 400 miles on mine now and had it upto 90 mph keeping the revs below 3000rpm and yes there was a bit of a hot smell of it when I got out. More I drive it more I like it by the way. All engines are bench tested now a daysanyway

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I noticed it when we first got the car but not for a while now. I had a grovel around underneath and couldn't find anything amiss. I put it down to the rubbers that suspend the exhaust getting hot.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Could be the DPF regenerating. They stink when new but it goes away over time. Never smell mine now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replys, was thinking dpf at the start Quiltman but thought it should,nt smell like that but new to them so really dont know how they should smell.
The rubbers on the exhaust are the only thing i saw next to a heat source techno but i didnt put my hand on the back box to check how warm it was but never seen one get hot enough to make rubber smell like that. The car has nearly 7000 miles on it and only noticed this smell in the last week. Anyways i will have a look tomorrow but doubt i will find any tell tale signs of the smell. Might drop an exhaust rubber mount off and give it a sniff to see if it had heated up

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I wonder if it is the combination of the two... the exhaust rubbers getting hot when the car does a DPF regen? It would certainly put a lot more heat into the exhaust system.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've had my KX4 for about 18 months, and it has produced a Hot Smell on three occasions. The last was last Friday, when I drove home from York - about 92 miles. It can't have been DPF regen, as I had done the reverse journey at speed two days previously and only decent length trips in between. The smell is like hot, but not burning, rubber, around the rear axle area, but we also noticed it in the rear footwell.<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">

<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">The one thing all 3 journeys had in common was that the weather was wet.
<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">

<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">I reported the first two to the dealer at the first service, but they couldn't find anything

·
Registered
88 Posts
Strange , I had the same smell yesterday when I was getting something out of the boot , but we had only done a 15 mile journey, the big journey of 1000 miles will be next month driving through France and Spain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts