Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sportage 2006 2.0 crdi xs deisel , and from time to time there is a smell of burning rubber outside the car, it seems to be coming from around the rear wheel area, nothing is obvious, brakes are not unduly hot, anybody got any ideas or have had similar problems. I have booked the car in at local Kia agents, but would like to get an idea before it goes in.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Almost certainly it's the diesel particulate filter 'regenerating' which they do from time to time (don't ask me why!). I first noticed it on my Carens and the Sportage CRDi does just the same. It's such a worrying smell you think they would put a warning in the handbook. Very likely to be nothing to worry about!

·
Registered
82 Posts
This happened to me a few times. Worried the hell out of me the first time as it smelt like burning plastic and I had just fitted my towbar. Figured it was exhaust coating or something but its good to know it's fairly normal thing to happen.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've the FE Diesel. Same thing happened to me yesterday. I've only done 650 miles and got this smell. I had one of those thingies in the 12v socketwhich adapts one into two. (phone charger and sat nav were not plugged in at the time) I thought it was down to this short circuiting the wiring loom. The smell has gone but it was a real worry, visions of an engine fire. So I'm not alone and and will worry about it less.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your replies, I took my Sportage lnto Perrys Kia and they checked out things that I had looked at myself and could not find anything, I mentioned the DPF regeneration,but they said that when that happens it should not cause a smell, and then charged me £25 for the inspection, so I am non the wiser. However the smell has disappeared for the time being, Thanks again for your replies

·
Registered
69 Posts
The link I placed on my previous post was unusable.
Go to the The AA website and search on: Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF)

Quite possibly it's the first time this process has taken place on your FE and with all things that get hot for the first time they burn off protective coatings (eg. cookers, storage heaters etc)

As per the AA site.

How do they work?
Diesel Particulate filters (DPF) or 'traps' do just that, they catch bits of soot in the exhaust.

As with any filter (think of the bag in your vacuum cleaner) they have to be emptied regularly to maintain performance. For a DPF this process is called 'regeneration' ""“ the accumulated soot is burnt off at high temperature to leave only a tiny ash residue. Regeneration may be either passive or active.

I would ask for my £25 back. Perries...... what are they like!?!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Fisrt time the DPF on my Ceed did a regen I thought the old tranny at the side of me at the traffic lights was on fire. Only when I spotted the idle speed going up and down did the penny drop. The two regens since have been barely noticable, the DPF gets that hot I guess any coating on it burnt off during the first regen.

Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts

hi ,all

thought i had a plastic bag wrapped round my exhaust ,, am really glad after reading this post ,,seems like a regular occurrance , should i take my sportage in for check up or live with it , my car has only done -1000 miles and is mobility .

thanks for any advice forthcoming

harry

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2008 Sportage also does this . I have had the vehicle just about 2 years. i agree with the theory that it is theparticlecollector is having toregenerate. This has happened about 4 times now and it does smell like burning rubber. But it willclearvery quickly. The fist time i noticed it I checked all the underside of the car.Tyres bakes hubs and wires. Only to find i had a very hot particle collector

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I also have a burning rubber/plastic smell but not sure if it is DPF related.

Bought a brand new Sportage CRDi XE 4WD in May. No problems until the weather turned cold at the end of November. Now every time it is driven from cold, after about a mile of driving, there is a strong burning smell which only lasts about 30 seconds. Checked that it isn't just my nose getting used to it, by getting out of car for a couple of minutes after smell has gone, before continuing. Also driven with heater off to cross that off the list.

I live in the country so very little of my driving is stop/start stuff. Driven 6000 miles so far and getting close to 40 mpg. Just recently I did a 150 mile journey at motorway speeds, but it still smelt the next day. Also, even if car is left for an hour or so, no smell; it needs to be completely cold. No warning lights.

Can it really be the DPF regenerating every time it is driven?

Any ideas?

Cheers, Andy
Edited by: Biggie

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'venoticed the (what I consider the regen process) afew times. 2.5k miles on clock. First time big smell then a lesser smell then just noticed a slightly higher idle speed with a drop in mpg. I think these are all sign's of the car management system taking control. If it doesn't complete the process (because you end your journey) it will keep going later until the sensor tells it to stop. When you see the flames you can start panicking. I will. LOL

·
Registered
114 Posts
Our`s is doing this at regular intervals, a good way to tell is the exhaust tip gets very hot, If you wet your finger a quick dab and sizzle is a good sign its doing it`s stuff.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

I have the very same car, same model and year.

I bought mine new in 2006 and one of the first things I noticed was that odd burning rubber smell especially after long journeys or heavy traffic.

At it's service they never found anything so I ignored it and it gradually faded away. At 40,000 miles now and I can't say I notice it at all now.

Let me know how you get on though - if they find anything!

Cheers,

Dan.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Folks
Do you diesel folks see any black smoke behind you, if so then the regen system ain't working!

Enjoy the rubber smell.

Bob

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had smoky diesels before and this ain't one of them!

No smoke, no smell - the smell went some time ago. It was brand new when it happenen and the dealer gave me some bluff about new paint and sealants getting hot and it would go. It did go so maybe he was right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts