Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently an owner contacted me with a view to purchasing a Canadian spec bugsheild. I have a contact over there who is prepared to supply us a few if people are interested. PM me if any of you still are.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check it out - but i am pretty sure there is no bodywork drilling, it is to brackets afixed with the 3m sticky pads.

The Canadian bugsheild is the one that provides greater coverage up above the headlamps and has an hole in the centre for the kia badge to be viewed thru.

Clear film protection is my prefered option for body protection, but the Bugsheilds are much simpler, can be fitted at home and will take a bigger hit than the film protection.
Edited by: tempest

·
Registered
283 Posts
I can see the reason for these but it seems such a shame to cover up the paintwork. I think I'd rather touch in the odd stone chip.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
to a point i agree. The bugsheilds arent the prettiest addition to a Soul...... but neither is a rusty mottled bonnet front either. if the bugshields were in clear plastic i would be much happier with one. But as a relatively cheap way of keeping the car nice - they are worth doing.

Some owners are reporting chips within days of getting the cars..... imagine the result a few years down the line.

And i was correct - there is no drilling into the car involved in fitting them.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got a total cost including postage from Canada, and frankly the post costs make it ridiculous!!! (the contact was doing us the bugsheilds at a discount too). Anyway the total cost is £240.00 at current exchange rates.

If anyone is still interested - let me know. But it makes the clearbra much more reasonable in comparison.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I can get the bonnet resprayed for £180 so I will run with it, You can only see any chips if you really look anyway apart from the one that cracked the windscreen.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fair comment.... but if anybody does want one - let me know. Dont want to keep the guy over there hanging on too long, he was doing us a favour by offering the discount.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think the original request for info and a cost on a bugsheild came from a prospective searcher owner.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi Tempest, I know you have around the same mileage as I have which is over 20k,has the paint worn off the left hand side of your gear knob. I wonder if something like that is still under warranty, after all it's only 14 months old.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Gear knob is perfect, i have heard of this happening on the USA forum at much lower mileages and the dealers have replaced them.... quite whether they would baulk at 20ks worth of use i dont know. I reckon a dealer would replace such a low cost item as a way of purely keeping a customer happy. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi Tempest, they have ordered a new gear knob under warranty to replace the worn one ,I thought that the garage was going to be a problem as they took photos of the old gear knob to send to Kia but all was well.Had the damaged wheel sorted out today as well.If I could find the a******e who dropped the brick on the roundabout I would stick itin a very uncomfortable place. Still £40 was not to bad ,the repair is very good indeed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
mine had worn away all the silver paint down to the white plastic beneath on the outside edge facing away from the driver at 5000k ,drove round with a sock over it till i sold it after they replaced it with an identical one !

·
Registered
111 Posts
2010 kia soul crdi , paint started wearing away soon after i got it and had the gear knob replaced (they had to make up a reason as to why it was being changed as apparently all the paint rubbing off inside 5 months was not a valid enough one!)yep took off the sock when i traded it in !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts