Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I posted some time ago about a Tyre valve on my GT that fractured along the valve cap Screw thread which fractured and blew the end off the valve.

The valve stem is aluminium and I believe is not fit for purpose.

This is part of the tyre pressure monitoring system on the car, went to local KIA dealer (where I bought the car) and they charged £145 for a replacement valve - They would not cover this under warranty as Hyundai do (similar valves prone to damage/blowing).

I sent photo's to Kia and they say it is down to the dealers if done under warranty.

Anyway just had the Foot-well Lighting re-wired in the car and met the new Group General Service Manager for Essex Ford, had a discussion with him and sent him all the photo's as he has a meeting with KIA next week.

I don't hold out much hope of this being covered - but at least next week I will know

I will post the result when I know

So much for the 7 year warranty

Valve in the tyre showing where the end broke off

This is the tyre pressure valve including the bit that broke off

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well,

Just received an email about the tyre valve - KIA will NOT cover this under warranty, which I quite expected as the info I was getting is they did not want to start a precedent with mine so they would have to cover any failures.

I assume getting £145 per valve is a nice tidy profit

Just be careful when cleaning your wheels, using the garage to inflate your tyres etc that you do not knock the valve.....

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
29 Posts
Kia and Hyundai have mega problems with their tyre valves cracking. Mine are being replaced under warranty when the next boatload arrive in UK "in several weeks". Not good enough on a brand new car. Poor design, and potentially dangerous. I also had to pay for a new tyre, as it had deflated slightly and overheated, which the tpms did not detect.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hiathelstan,

You must have a Hyundai and not a KIA to get them done under warranty, I know I Tried but KIA will NOT do them under warranty, because if they did with me they would start aprecedent and have to replace everyone that fails.

When this 1st came up and the mention of not being covered under warranty I did wonder what would be covered or was the 7 year warranty all smoke and mirrors.

regards

phil

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Seems strange that Hyundai cover them, but Kia do not, as it is probably the same part. Is it worth trying to get it done at a Hyundai garage?Might have to put some tape over the badges!

·
Registered
717 Posts
At what point do their terms and conditions on warranties differ to be covered by one and not the other?
Or is it that Hyundai value their customers more than Kia by offering more goodwill gestures outside of their warranty?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Sorry to dig this up as it's an old post but find it bloody annoying to read. I had a Hyundai before my Kia.

·
Super Moderator
3,289 Posts
monkeygibber said:
At what point do their terms and conditions on warranties differ to be covered by one and not the other?
Or is it that Hyundai value their customers more than Kia by offering more goodwill gestures outside of their warranty?
Hyundai offer only 5 years (versus 7 for Kia) but it seems more comprehensive!
Take your choice.

·
Registered
717 Posts
The Kia warranty is longer but covers the same things as Hyundai's. Also the other main difference is Hyundai's doesn't have a mileage limit. All of this still doesn't explain the valve stem difference.
I've claimed for a few things on the Hyundai warranty and never been knocked back so I'm expecting the same with Kia!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I think this isn't a comparison of warranty length but what it does cover and doesn't cover. Clearly there is some difference between either the wording or interpretation of Hyundai and Kia warranties.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Still. Rubbish that something like a tyre valve isn't covered. Especially if they are aware of them being prone to breaking.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Trouble is they valves are made by a third party manufacturer, and until they invent one that does not break, fair wear and tear can be quoted by Kia. This is not a problem only for Kia, as the Citroen owners forum have been full of this for 8 years, at least.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts