Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

hope someone out there can help.

Had a problem with my 56 plate sorrento back at xmas, it was leaking diesel bad, took it to local garage and they discovered one of the injectors had cracked thus leaking diesel. It was fixed under warrenty which has now run out. Were told other 3 injectors were fine.
Anyway, 9 weeks passed no problems. Then last sunday smell of diesel again, took it back to garage, they fixed saying it was a washer!!!!!!
SO now went shopping this morning and on the way back this is where thing go wrong.
Best way to discribe what happen is the engine all of sudden starting revving fast without me putting foot on accelerator,no warning lights at all. so braked slowed down, scary thing as was doing about 60 at time. Switched car off at about 20 miles an hour as car still revving and then it started belowing black smoke out of the exhuast and then a bang, then stopped.Then awful smell coming from engine/car.

In 23 years of driving never ever come across this before, very shaken up and worried. I was about 3 miles from home . Tried to start but never did. Now back at garage!!!!

Any ideas please !!!!!!

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Sounds serious i have heard of it with Landrovers, when theydiesel,burning oil from the engine sump, and engine keeps running after switching off.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Could be oil spilling out from Turbo bearing seals is getting into the intake and that would cause it to keep running even after switching off.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Davy, i had my turbo bearings go when i had a Discovery but it only caused excessive smoking,the usual thing with Landrovers was either pistons or rings and pressurebuildup in the sump.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
On the VAGs it can cause run on cause the oil is pumped into the bearings and there is enough oil going through with charge of air to keep engine going, the more oil the faster the engine will rev and eventually Kaboom. What also can happen is it actually sucks the oil out of the engine via the rocker breather , but that is a worst case scenario.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sounds like the turbo, I used to have a Renault TD and they had lots of scary turbo runaways due to leaking seals feeding lube oil into the cylinders.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If anyone has a runaway be quick and stuff a rag in the air intake,seems the only way to stop before engine kills itself,glad i've got a petrol.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just a thought but would putting the car in top gear and breaking hard stall the engine or would the torque be too much and damage something?

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Possibly on manual,but on Auto probably do even moredamage ie to torque converter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts