Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broke down yesterday with engine overheating - looked under car and all "fluid" was pouring out from above the spare wheel (was all up the boot and back window !). After getting recovered by the AA looks like the rear heater matrix pipes have burst dropping all the coolant. It's in the garage now being fixed ...... lets hope this is not a start of things to come (only had it 3 weeks).

Are there any other common faults I need to be aware of ? - it's a 2004 2.9CRDi LE

·
Registered
51 Posts
This was/is a common problem with your model. Our 2003 2.9 had the same problem, only we lost the coolant at 3:30pm on the drive at home as I was preparing for a 2 week caravan holiday
so lucky for us no damage just a delayed departure.These heater pipes run from the front bulkhead to th rear heater in lengths of sttel pipe / rubber hose / steel pipe.... I had the very fron pipe at the bulkhead fail, coolant everywhere. I replaced the complete run in hose (both runs)

Hope you got it from a garage as there is a chance this could esculate to a replacement engine, sorry
& I hope I'm wrong.
How soon did you notice the temp increase?

SteveN

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the car back all fixed pipe (not sure which bits) replaced, all done under warranty.

Temp gauge never went above 3/4, i noticed it as it went over half and then I pulled over and turned the engine off. Earlier as I went down the motorway temp gauge was ok so I assume it was leaking but had water in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
padpad

sounds like you have caught it in time. Being the nervous type I would be watching the temp gauge like a hawk for a while, come to think of it that's just what I did after I had that problem

SteveN

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, have the same problem. Interested in your fix of replacing pipes with hose. Has this worked OK and what hose did you use? Is it an easy job to complete?

·
Registered
51 Posts
brumacharlie said:
Hi, have the same problem. Interested in your fix of replacing pipes with hose. Has this worked OK and what hose did you use? Is it an easy job to complete?

The job was easy, as all you really need to do is remove the first & last section of hose that are already there & then run a longer section of hose to span everything in between. The hose was standard heater hose, sorry no idea of the size, should be readily available from any motor factors.

It lasted about 2 years, only cut short when the Sedona was totalled by a fcukwit
Only possible issue I faced was having to cut a short piece of pipe from the front because of a hole, which meant there was no 'barb' for the hose to push over. So I just used 2 jubilee type clips at that point, the mechanic I normally use said I was being toooo fussy & one would have been fine.

SteveN

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think its easier and safer to just bypass the rear heater, I think its over kill to have a heater there anyway.Small length of hose to loop the 2 pipes together, then no more worries

1 - 11 of 11 Posts