Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Stinger broke down on the motorway last night with the engine warning light showing (electrics still active, though). Recovered to home but couldn’t be moved onto our drive properly so is currently blocking the pavement and sticking almost halfway onto the road as though we couldn’t be bothered reversing it fully. They’re coming back to move onto the drive today.

The earliest we can get a dealer in our area to accept the vehicle is a week on Wednesday but we won‘t know until the Friday what the fault is. I’m assuming this will be a warranty job but hoping it will be quick - another dealership has had vehicles for 2 months waiting to have repairs completed. Another also said they had 3 Stingers in for engine strip-downs!☹

Anyway, has anyone else had this fault and, if so, how long did it take to repair?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did recovery check for error codes? As without these it could be a massive amount of things.
I don’t know - my wife was driving but didn’t notice anything that might have been a diagnostic kit. Not to say they didn’t, though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t know what the engine issues were with the others, I’m afraid. Hoping I get mine back before Christmas (assuming we’ll still be allowed to drive anywhere).

·
Registered
182 Posts
The only other person I know of who has had engine issues was somebody that was running a piggyback ECU tune which altered the boost etc and his was the 2.0.

It was possibly was not the cause but Kia fixed it under warranty.

As I would class the Stinger an an "enthusiast" car I'm surprised that if one dealer alone has had 3 with engine issues none of the owners happen to be part of this forum or the Facebook group. Just bad luck I guess as I would love to know what has caused 3 others to need stripping down.

Had no engine issues with mine but this was part of the reason I bought the car and what always scared me off the Germans, a big powerful engine like this out of warranty is not something I would want to own. Good old 7 year/100k warranty will sort it out (assuming correct servicing has taken place).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update
Dealership struggling to establish the reason for the fault so it’s with KIA for now. Looks like I could be getting the train to Boris”s Christmas bash, this year.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the car back today after a new high pressure fuel pump, spark plugs and starter motor fuse have been fitted. It doesn’t start first time, though, and the ISG became just IS at a set of traffic lights - I had to turn it off and on again to restart the engine. Not sure I can trust it for a long Christmas journey. Definitely dented my faith in KIA. I’ve made the dealership aware there are still issues but it’s not convenient to leave it with them at this time to investigate further. What’s worse - no car or a car you can’t trust to start then keep going?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spoke to KIA Customer Services early on and, whilst polite, they made it clear they don’t provide a hire car as part of the warranty. Maybe the circumstances now would change their response. They pointed out that if I’d kept the KIA Assist going there would have been one, though I see that’s for “up to 2 days”, not the three and a half weeks it’s been, so far.

Reactions: Banzibarn

·
Registered
655 Posts
I spoke to KIA Customer Services early on and, whilst polite, they made it clear they don’t provide a hire car as part of the warranty. Maybe the circumstances now would change their response. They pointed out that if I’d kept the KIA Assist going there would have been one, though I see that’s for “up to 2 days”, not the three and a half weeks it’s been, so far.
This is really, really poor from Kia. If they have tried to fix it and have given it back with ongoing issues, they should be looking after you so much better.

Sadly, this mirrors my experience with Kia dealers and customer service. I will never buy another Kia.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The car is still inconsistent at start up and now has the Malfunction Indicator Lamp on. It’s booked in for a service in a couple of weeks at our local dealership but not sure I should even drive it there. Will speak to them and probably KIA. I suspect the primary problem hasn’t been fixed and we could be doing more damage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts