Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
This is my first post so hello.
I've recently got my brand new 61 plate C'eed EcoDynamics and love it.
But, I recently noticed a condensation problem with the headlights. When it rains and I have the headlights on, they start to steam up on the inside. I have had many many cars, and this has never happened with any of them. Even the old bangers!!!
I took to my local Kia dealer yesterday and they said they would investigate. To cut a long story short, they couldnt find a problem with my lights, so they rang Kia, and they said that the hadlights will do this due to temperature differences, and it will clear within 30 mins!
Now, like I said, ive had many cars from crappy old bangers to nice Audi's and BMW's. NONE of them have ever had steamed up headlights when it rains.
Its smacks to me of a headlight manufacturing fault which Kia know about. The garage even gave me a pdf file print out of a memo regarding this headlight issue, which was emailed straight from Kia's head office to my dealer today! It even says on the memo " Do not replace headlights under warranty if steaming up occurs "!
Has anyone else had this issue with their C'eed and had the same story from their dealer??
Many thanks for reading
Alex.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Quite clearly they have sealed them with water in. Either that or they are leaking. New set of light fittings are in order me thinks. Personally I would kick up a fuss untill they changed them and after a month of trying, if you get nowhere, I would take out the bulbs, put the connectors in bottles of water and then turn them on, blowing out the lighting fuse and whatever else. Dry it all off, put it back together and them call the dealership quoting all your lights have shorted out. Add that it happened while on the motorway and threaten to go to autocar or another motor magazine. But I doubt it will go that far.
Harsh, but so is going back on a bumper to bumper warranty.Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Alex,There iis a "FIX" for this water in the frontlights. My Cee'd 3, had it and mine was built in November 2009!!!

Took it to my local Kia garage, had the drivers door lock "freezing" up in winter problem fixed and the condensation in front lights. They knew about the faults.

packman

·
Registered
16 Posts
About a day after picking up my Cee'd (2010) I noticed that there appeared to be a small patch of condensation in the headlight glass. I noticed that it disappeared the next day, and has not reapperaed so far six months later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I am a newbie to this club but I was a master tech for Peugeot cars .I remember a fault with head lights fogging up the repair method was to fit vents on the lamps it cured the fault hope this help you.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Other cars are known to do this....
I had a very similar problem with fogging-up headlamps on a MK4 Seat Ibiza FR. It was a known issue with the double lamp units but Seat did not recognise it as a fault. Aparently (from memory) Seat said that it did not affect the performance or safety of the lights, and as the internals were mostly plastic, no corrosion would occur so no replacement would be offered under warranty.
In the 4 years I had the car the lights never did corrode, and I found that if I removed the bulbs and used a hair dryer to dry out the condensation every 6 months the fogging remained very minimal... Perhaps a venting kit would have been a better idea but Seat never did this to my knowledge.

So far no fogging problems with my Kia....

Edited by: BaldyDave

·
Registered
113 Posts
Right after I received my Cee'd, I noticed some fog in my headlamp. I was rather upset but before I could go back to the dealer about it, it vanished. That was last fall and I have not seen any condensation since then. I noticed that there are vents on the back side of the headlight units; perhaps as someone said the temperature difference (between hot light and cold lens in damp conditions) causes the fogging. After everything warms up the fog is evaporated and escapes out the vents.

·
Registered
210 Posts
take a screw cap off the lights. if the fogging dissappears then it is a venting issue

·
Registered
551 Posts
Screw cap???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts