Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
7,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst my 6 week old Venga was in for the bit of dashboard trim replacing (which still isn't done as they ordered the wrong part!!!), I asked them to check the front brakes as I felt they were a little 'snappy', (sorry only word i could think of to explain it)...I also noticed that even after driving the rust colour that forms on the ventilated disc after its been raining and left overnightwas still there bar an inch or so around the top circumferance suggusting to me that not the whole face of the disc was tuoching the disc upon braking. Anyway checked it was and was instantly condemend by my Kia dealer, (Wessex motors Cardiff), who then sent photos of brakes to Kia central who told them to immediatly replace calipers, pads and discs and send old parts to them for analysys.
My Venga is a MY12 built in new zilina factory so if suggest you have one off that line have a little look after a journey to see if your whole disc is shiney and not just the outer inch. If it isnt, suggest you get them checked.

Paul...Venga 3, auto 1.6

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hi Paul,So its definatley a zilina model then,hmmmm disappointing to say the least.
Whilst my brake disc s never seem to clean up shiny silver,the front at least clean up over the entire disc surface.
The back discs as with the old czech venga has bits rusty and bits clean,its not uniformly shiny and i can see me having to replace these for it 1st mot! i can even pre empt this even although they have only done 1800 miles.
whilst my brakes are not outstanding,they are not snappy and will stop you quickly.
No complaints so far.

Its really disappointing to hear this paul and i feel for you with this disappointment.
Lets wait for the recall then........watch this space.
we ve had more than our share of trips back to the dealerships with our 'new' cars
For me its a 184 mile round trip and a day off work as the workshop aint open on a saturday!
James.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hi Paul,I have just been thinking about your brakes,and reminded me that whilst my discs are clean from edge to edge mostly, i do have small black speckles all over the shiny disc surface,like something has been ground in to the surface, i have also noticed that the road salt is really hammering my calipers appearance,to the extent that they look like they are actually corroding.
They look similar to alloy that has been in the sea briefly.
Just to add,my venga or its wheels have been no where the sea! Im not in the habit of throwing £16 grand in the sea!

I am also at the stage of i dont want to call my dealership about these wee things as at the moment they seen trivial to me,(the brakes are not dangerous in my opinion), but after almost daily phonecalls and emails to the service manager from May to December last year regarding my rejection and replacement of the first car,i cant help but think he and the other staff are completely sick of me,but they have never actually said anything to me so perhaps its in my head.
I am not the sort of person that likes complainig for the hell of it and dont want them to think i am,but so far whilst my new Venga is 100% a better car than my last one,i do notice a few things they might like to see.One of them being a grunt from the steering when you turn the steering wheel slightly after its been sitting a few hours,almost as if something has seized slightly.
My last venga started doing this,and a few hundred miles later,it produced play in the steering column and had to be recovered back to the dealer for a new steering column.
Another is very minor,but the tailgate struts are now struggling to open the tailgate,when i bought the car i noticed how strong they were and would open the tailgate from quite low down.
And the 3rd is the caliper corrosion..
hmmm,i dont want to phone them,but perhaps i am being silly.
James.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Also to add, I am only concerned about these wee issues as i have owned Peugeot and honda Diesels all my life and these sort of things never happened on those cars,the front discs on my civic were still the originals at 100,000miles when i traded it in for the venga.We are not expecting our kia s to last forever,but for them to merely drive,feel and look like new for a little longer than a few months!
James.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
James your calipers corroding is not uncommon. I had 2 new Ceeds and a Rio and they all corroded after a couple of winter months. I just painted them. The calipers are not painted in factory or do they have any corrosion treatment on them they are just bare alloy/steel.
I agree this should not be happening but if the facory painted them then its more time and more costs and they would have to set up a paint line to do them. Who ever makes them for Kia would have to do the same.
Your tailgate struts acting slow would this be down to cold climate up your way or does it happen at all temps. Just thinking the struts oils viscosity may thicken at cold temps.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hi Davy,the cold isnt helping so it must be oil related,but i have just realised that i park the car outside the house tail downhill so the slope wont help the tailgate opening,on the level its ok actually.
As for the brakes, my civic did 100,000miles on its original front discs and 80,000 on its original front pads,and the calipers never went this way after 2 years nevermind 2 months,but i suppose its just cosmetic,upon a closer look,my calipers are steel,so dont need to worry about alloy corrosion.
Just my imagination,the last venga did my head in with its problems and gremlins, i just need to trust this one.

James.

·
Administrator
7,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its understandable James that you are concerned after the MY11 issues. Lets see now, since you have had the MY12 it hasn't missed a heartbeat. Ultimately things can go wrong as humans are on the production line and can have 'off days', (sound familiar advice there James?). As Kia owners remember, we have a seven year warrenty so if indeed your struts do 'weaken' in 12 months...24 months etc...they'll be changed for free...same with discs etc. Keep a note of things your not happy about and whilst you take it to your dealer for a service next year they can change bits with brand new if necessary. I must say I need to give my Venga a break so to say...yes the dash still needs doing but as I drive I constantly listen for other rattles, (which there are none by the way). If Kia cardiff had the right bit of trim it my car would be perfect...absolutly perfect...however if goe, its covered,inconvenient, but covered...betthings go wrong go on Fords too remember! Enjoy your well deserved MY12 Venga James...it a beauty...

Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts