Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the Tempest,s 20,000 mile service and had the front disc,s and pad,s replaced, anyone else had this done or is it just me and the misses being a bit hard on them? Had not noticed any bad vibes or any problems with braking before. Are they covered by warranty or would you normally have to pay for the disc,s, mine is covered on motobillity.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
its the lead footed Missus.....29k and still going fine. The brakes are not under warranty unless there is an actual fault.

Why did you have the service at 20k? its not due till 25k.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just had my second service and had no problems with the brakes. I used to have a problem with a Yaris T Sport I owned, the discs failed the MOT every two years. They reckoned it was because of corrosion that left the remaining useable disc thickness under what was considered the standard for that car.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Just changed the front pads at 25.5k, would have been ok for another few thousand but it was easier for me to get them changed early. Had them done at Halfords with BOSH pads and now they are on the replacement for life, all at £80 ish. Discs are fine and the rear have 6-7mm still on them ,are you driving an auto if so youmay use the brakes more than a manual box.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Yes I would think that you would tend to use the brakes quite a bit more with an automatic box though I have always been very light on the brakes. I don't use the gears to slow down but I have tried to slow down over a longer distance and used the brakes quite lightly.What sort of miles do you get out of the tyres,I have managed 25k plus on the fronts out of mine though there was still 2mm on them I changed them for the winter ,moving to the east coast I thought it may be prudent to do this.

·
Registered
183 Posts
23000 miles on Hankooks. 5mm left all round. I swapped the wheels round at 10000 miles.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I did not swap my tyes around and the rear have lots of tread left , did not think that the ammount I got out of the Hankooks was to bad,they would have lasted longer but I feel better with over 2mm tread.I don't think that1.6mm is safe it should be a min of 2mm.I replaced with the same tyres as I am more than happy with Hankooks .

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is no way that you should need the front discs replacing at 20,000 miles.

And if they genuinely had failed that soon then they must have been faulty and should be a warranty replacement.

Even wearing the pads out that soon is unlikely

This sounds like a motobility rip off to me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Pad and disc wear are related to temperature. If the pads did wear out fully it suggest heavy use and that might have caused a lip on the disc. However, if some spotty youth has condemed the disc because of the lip he has done wrong. The disc wear should be measured in the centre of the disc and not at the outside. This is because the outside of the disc has the highest rotational speed and that part of the disc often contacts the pad in the off brake condition due to the end float in the bearing. A lip is normal and it sounds like they were a bit quick off the mark. That's dealers for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts