Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my front end calipers and brake pads replaced on my standard 2006 Kia Rio. The front right caliper was sticking when driving. The shop replaced both front end calipers and pads, and tech said the rotor had gotten so hot it turned blue on front right. I've rebuilt this little car and it looks like a brand new 2006 LX with spoiler, custom paint and alloy wheels. It runs great, under 70,000 miles.

However, there is a popping sound coming when I brake now that wasn't there before. It is especially noisy when I brake at low speeds. I can feel it in my brakes as well. Is this normal? Were the replaced pads too large? Do I need a new rotor? Looks like they would have told me if I did. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
The trouble with your discs/rotors going blue is they could have developed small cracks in them but they could be ok, some do crack some dont, but its worth checking and I am sure the garage did just that. But the heat transferring to the hub bearings and turning the grease into a liquid and leaking out is also a possibility.The popping sound is a weird one. I would take it back and let the garage sort it out and I dont think its cause your pads are too big.

·
Registered
662 Posts
could be that the new pads are too loose in the caliper and when they grab the rotor they move in the caliper cauesing a knock were they genuine pads and did they come with shims that fit in the caliper before the pads are put in?

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you have abs brakes, it could be this kicking in, and causing the popping and kick back on the pedal. Surely they should have changed the disc as well, with heat enough to turn it blue it would certainly warp, and produce similar noise and a quite heavy judder on the brakes as well.

I fail to see why they should replace both calipers when it is only one that has failed, more money for them I suppose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i got a repair to my front brakes and how to take over them i don't know so please some one help me about this

Edited by: davy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts