Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The horrible wet weather we have had of late have caused my brakes to stick on. I have a flat drive and tend to leave the car in gear with the handbrake off but after leaving my car for 8 hours (with handbrake off) got in to move it this morning and it felt like all four brakes were seized on and as it finally broke free there was the usual loud bang. I can understand it if I have left it with the handbrake on for a weekend but eight hours with the handbrake off is not good.
Anyone else suffering the same problem???

·
Registered
662 Posts
in leaveing the handbrake off you have allowed water to get between the shoes and the drum,not good practice to leave the car in gear as the gear set will be under a constant load that may not be in its drive direction

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Considering the load gears are under when the car is running surely there is no (or very little) load when the car is stationary, certainly not enough to damage anything. Was always taught from day one to leave the car in gear should the handbrake fail, after 36 years and probably 500,000 miles (possibly more)I have yet to be told I have broken a gearbox due to parking it in gear. Only gearbox problem I have ever had was caused by the diffseals failing and allowing the oil to escape,that was after 100,000 miles many of which were spenttowing a racecar/trailer weighing over a ton behind a G o l f.

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies

I take on board what you said about water in the drum, but leaving the handbrake off seems to lessen the effect. If I were to leave the handbrake on,the car rises up trying to overcome the brake and an even bigger bang as it finally releases, it seems worse than leaving it off. It only happens after driving in wet weather though. As for the gears, my drive is perfectly flat so I am not that concerned about gear loads. I could leave it in neutral and I don't think it would budge.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
No G o l f spam here please
. I had a similar problem on my Ceeds and it was due to the discs rusting onto the padsand that was with the handbrake off. Only happened if I left it standing for a few days in wet weather. Discs cleaned up after a few brake applications. The wifes got a 73 Beetle and I put it off the road in the winter due to the salt on the roads and I always leave the handbrake off as I left it on one winter and the drums rusted themselves to the shoes. I had to strip the rear brakes down and renew the shoes as the linings were destroyed. So from then on I always leave the handbrake off its not going anywhere for a time.

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
94 Posts
No the rear has both disc and drum, the drum being reserved just for the handbrake.

Early attempts to use just the disc for a handbrake caused many cars to roll away as the disc cooled and contracted the braking force also reduced.

Not on a Cee'd of course as this has both devices disc and drum on the rear.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If I were you I would ask the dealer to look at your handbrake settings.
When you apply the handbrake do you have the hand brake lever all most vertical once applied ??
This was an area that has caused problems in the past so it's worth having it checked.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My handbrake is rubbish. My drive is a slight incline and I need to the top ratchet on the handbrake to stop the car rolling forward.
Cooling disks and handbrakes remind me of the Xantias rolling away on hills when their front disks cooled. Back in the day.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Had same problem with both Ceeds I had. I dont know if its cable stretch thats the problem or what but it shouldn't be happening. My Rio does not suffer from that problem. I have owned it now for 2 years and never needed to adjust it and thats after 10k miles. Its same idea as the ceed that is disc rear with a hub for handbrake shoes.

·
Registered
94 Posts
UncleZen I think you should ask your dealer to adjust the hanbrake you should be no where near the top click of the ratchet. I will count mine later and let you know how many clicks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I did forget, but have now checked my handbrake is six clicks to be fully engaged. With an almighty heave you may manage to get it to go seven clicks, but that would much more than I would normally ever use.

The six clicks will and does hold the car on a 1 in 5 hill that's 20% I think in modern terms.
Edited by: Eric

·
Registered
111 Posts
You will have seen my last entry, take your car back to the dealer and have them set up your handbrake correctly.
KIA are aware that a large number of Ceed's & Proceeds were incorrectly set.
Mine was and my local dealer complained to KIA and it was sorted pronto.
Don't hesitate get it sorted before you have a problem with it rolling away !!!!!
It's nothing to do with water at all ,when the hand brake is set up right the problem will disappear,they SHOULD NOT CHARGE YOU

1 - 13 of 13 Posts