Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of the techies on the forum know if there is a known issue with brakes on the Ceed.

I have a shudder felt through the steering and brake pedal which is felt on light braking and more so on medium braking. Under heavy braking it all but disappears. It is defo not the ABS! Feels more like warped discs or maybe contaminated pads.

Any help here appreciated before I leg it to the dealer

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indeed and that was why I posed the question which basically is whether there are any known issues with the brakes as in faulty discs or pads. But I'm off to the dealer as soon as I get a chance and see what they say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there, I'm interested to hear what your dealer advised you. I'm also experiencing the same 'problem'. Under light/medium braking, it feels as though the front discs/pads are rubbing unevenly. It's definitely not warped discs cos I've experienced this before on another car - this is a different (less violent) feel. My car is a cee'd 1.6 CRDi LS, about 13k miles on the clock, bought from a Kia dealer about 9 months ago. Would appreciate any info you can give me before I visit my dealer. Many thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi.
Very same problem on my 08 Ceed SW CRDi. I took it back to the dealer and they agreed that the rear discs were on the limit, so they changed them and fitted new pads under warranty (that pleased me). A week later I noticed the same problem and called the dealer who invited me over. I went for a test drive with the workshop foreman (both of us taking turns to drive) and when I drove, I could get the shudder. He couldn't make it happen until I urged him to brake very gently. He agreed that there seems to be some sort of shudder at low speed and especially on the run up to a stop when the clutch is dipped.

His recommendation was to run the car for a few weeks and see if the problem got any worse. It has. I'm about to book it in for a service at 13,000 miles and I'll be telling them the problem is now showing through steering and brake pedal.

I did read where there is an issue with the brake master cylinder on some Ceeds which causes a problem with the EPS system. This could cause the brake servo to pulse under certain circumstances.

Has anyone else seen this?

Ralph.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info Ralph. Mine is also an '08 SW model. It's in for a service soon, so I'll get the dealer to look at it.Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just had the car into the dealers for a service. They checked the front discs. They're warped! The dealer has just called to say they got the parts in and will replace them, under warranty, next Monday! I wonder if there's been a bad batch of discs made?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine's in for a service later today, so am interested in what the dealer has to say. I did a visual on the discs and the front ones look fine, but one of the back ones has some severe corrosion damage (looks like several craters about the size of a penny all joined together.Pretty certain that's the cause of my problem but will see what the dealer says (surely there shouldn't be such damage on a 2-year-old car?)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update. According to the dealer, the brake shudder was due to the rear discs being badly rusted and pitted. They said that "this can happen when a car is used too much or not enough"!! Although the car has only done abt 4k miles in the last 10 months, it has been used 5, 6, sometimes 7 days a week, so the car is used regularly. They quoted me a cost of £248 + VAT for two new rear disc and pad sets. I told them that this should not be happening after 10 months of use and after some discussion Kia Warranty agreed to pay for the replacements. If it is due to a bad batch of discs, let's hope that the problem is now sorted. Only time will tell, I guess.....

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
When I bought my second hand Rio from a dealer it had to have the rear discs replaced cause they were pitted. That was because it had sat a while without moving and they had rusted. They done it under warranty but they used the old pads. I went back about and was told Kia had only authorised them to renew the discs. Crazy crazy. I got a set of EBC pads and fitted myself.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Reading the posts from Dr Syn and Davy made me think that it's down to dealerships. I bought mine from AC Cumbernauld. So far, I've had the rear discs changed out with new pads and now the fronts, again with new pads. The difference is astonishing! The car now comes smoothly to a halt and doesn't exhibit any shudder during high speed braking. The workshop foreman told me that they would never change the discs without also changing the pads as this would accelerate wear on the discs due to the uneven pads.

I also had the rear luggage cover (Ceed SW) changed under warranty as the clip on one side broke. Kia told the dealer to go ahead and replace it.

I'd go back to your dealers guys and ask them to query Kia for warranty replacements.

·
Registered
226 Posts
This is an interesting thread. Ive just bought a second hand Ceed and when I test drove it the brakes were rubbish and a bit juddery. Anyway the dealer relpaced the front disks and pads and one rear disk (I presume also pads but I havent looked yet) and a cylinder on the same side. So I have 3 out of 4 new disks and one old disk. And now Ive had the car for 3 days, Ive noticed that there is a very slight judder under some circumstances from the pedal. I will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't think it's in the service book to change only 1 disc. It could cause imbalances. I'd go back to the dealer and ask him to get the last disc changed out under the Kia warranty. I've had all 4 discs changed on my 08 SW. Warranty work. The workshop said they would never change out the discs without doing a pair and new pads, otherwise it's false economy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Update: As of today the dealer replaced the 4th disk and the problem has now gone. It was a warped disk, or a disk with a high-spot. (PS cylinder should read caliper in my earlier post).

·
Registered
24 Posts
We have 58 plate ceed and we had to get the dealer to replace the disks all round to solve the problem which they did free of charge.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Its beginning to look like this is not an uncommon occurance on the Cee'd. I suspect that the metal they use for the disks is very soft and as such more succeptable to wear and corrosion. As disks are not usually a warranty item, it would probably be cheaper to get any competent mechanic to replace them as it would be cheaper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I have some recurring problems with brake discs in my Pro_ceed. I bought car as used (mil.8000) and there was already some judder in brakes. After that front disc have been replaced three times (if I can remember correctly
). Front disc/discs get warped after app. 3000 miles driving. Front wheel hubs were replaced also previously and last time only right side disc was replaced after 11000miles driving.

It seems that Kia service cannot solve this
. My opinion is that problem can be in front brake calibers. There is also adjustable connecting rod in master brake cylinder but it is already adjusted.

At least I don't think that the problem is my driving habits...I haven't had any problems in my previous cars.

Edited by: KiaFan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts