Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 sedona had a problem with the brakes slowly coming on by themselves. Alcutler on this forum sent me a copy of the service bulletin which suggested adjusting the pushrod clearance within the servo. I tried this but it wouldn't separate easily so I gave the car and a copy of the bulletin in to my local dealers, Fish Brothers in Swindon.

They rang me that afternoon to say that they had fixed the problem as per the bulletin and changed the brake fluid and (without me having asked) had appled to Kia for a goodwill payment. So i didnt have to pay anything.

Well done Al and thanks Fish Bros and Kia.

Oh and the fuel consumption has gone from 24mpg to 36mpg in the first subsequent tank

·
Registered
155 Posts
is yours the new shape sedona?can you please explain the problem you had, how you found it, and what the repair was?
Thanks

·
Registered
422 Posts
horsfalli said:
My 06 sedona had a problem with the brakes slowly coming on by themselves. Alcutler on this forum sent me a copy of the service bulletin which suggested adjusting the pushrod clearance within the servo. I tried this but it wouldn't separate easily so I gave the car and a copy of the bulletin in to my local dealers, Fish Brothers in Swindon.

They rang me that afternoon to say that they had fixed the problem as per the bulletin and changed the brake fluid and (without me having asked) had appled to Kia for a goodwill payment. So i didnt have to pay anything.

Well done Al and thanks Fish Bros and Kia.

Oh and the fuel consumption has gone from 24mpg to 36mpg in the first subsequent tank
Hi Ian, Glad you got it sorted (Its a shame we are having to take Kia bulletins to Kia dealers and asking them to do mods that should have been done as a matter of course) and Thanks for the feedback - I've sent the bulletin to a lot of other members and they don't even let me know how they have received it - yet alone update me on whether or not it solved their problem - so its nice to get the feedback. As far as your brakes feeling a bit softer than before - thats probably due to the small amount of free travel in the pedal as a result of the adjustment carried out - but now the pads when released have a small amount of clearance when released whereas before they were dragging and causing the brakes to bind. If the discs and pads have been overheating I would consider replacing them - not an urgent job but worth considering in the future. Thanks again, Alan

Edited by: alcutler

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks, I was hoping it related to the old one!Im trying to get to the bottom of why I cannot get more than 28mpg out of mine, not matter how I drive it.
Oh well, I'll keep looking

·
Registered
13 Posts
Its a shameweare having to take bulletins to the dealers. I know
this info was sent to dealers a while ago, i guess someone in each dealer needs to read the info sent to them from Kia (rather than blaming Kia !)

UK info sent:

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Concern: [/B]Some vehicles may suffer from poor performance or abnormal brake operation due to a brake binding condition. In many cases this has been caused by incorrect adjustment of the brake servo push rod.
Technical bulletin MB002/AS21 was issued in August 2007 detailing an adjustment procedure for the servo push rod required to overcome this concern, however it has come to our notice that some dealers are replacing the brake master cylinder.
Solution: Please ensure that only the technical bulletin procedure is applied for this concern. if the matter is not resolved by the push rod adjustment then submit a technical enquiry via GSW.
Edited by: mrkia

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To confirm my car is a new shape LS.. The symptoms would be that typically a few miles into a journey noise and vibration would become apparent and the car would become sluggish, if the clutch was dipped the car obviously slowed more than expeceted. Once the car was stopped a single hard application of the brakes seemed to clear it. It did this once at least 18 months ago and then didnt do it again for a year or so but then rapidly more regularly until it was happened every time the car was taken out. The front right and rear left brakes had higher temperatures than the other two, presumably they are one brake circuit.

I think what happens is that the brake pedal return stop is on the pushrod from the pedal through the servo. However there is a separate adjustable extension of this pushrod through the servo into the master cylinder. If the length is adjusted too short or perhaps if the linkage wears then even when the pedal is fully up the return port is not fully opening in at least one of the brake circuits so the pressure cannot bleed back from the brakes. One of the symptoms of the problem is that the brakes dont stick on, they actually progressively come on by themselves, for instance on a motorway where the brakes hadnt been used they would be free when i entered and would then come on a few miles later without the pedal having been touched. I suspect that as the fluid heats up it pressurises the system and puts the brakes on.

The fix is to very slightly shorten the pushrod, buth it is a fairly critical adjustment as too much and you wont have any brakes. I couldnt separate the master cylinder and rather than force it i gave it to the dealer.

Also in all fairness to the dealer, they may well have fixed this without prompting about the bulletin. I had not previously reported this to them as the problem went from too intermitent to fault find, to the every-journey stage in only a couple of months and my car does only very low and largely non essential so I didnt have to rush to solve this.

So anyway thanks again to alcutler, Fish Bros and Kia.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The symptoms you describe were very similar to what I was experiencing with a rumbling noise coming from the front wheels when travelling at motorway speeds, and even the abs cutting in at different times. As you say when deaccelerating the car would slow down a lot faster than expected and occasionally it would pull to the right. The brakes were obviously overheating but I bought a digital theremometer that you only need to point at the discs and like you the front offside and rear nearside discs were considerably hotter than the other two. I think it was a combination of the brake fluid getting hot and the discs expanding as the journey progressed that would cause the braking effect to increase.
I managed to do the mod myself andthe servo rod only has to be shortened by 1mm which solved the problem on mine. I think if you shorten it too much you will haveexcessive travel in your brake pedal.I hadn't got the special tool to measure the adjustment that Kia mention but I measured the length of exposed thread and reduced it by 1mm. It was like driving a different vehicle after the adjusment, with better acceleration and handling and a bigreduction in fuel consumption. I also changed the brake pads all round as the front ones in particular had been getting that hot that the friction material was crazed and had cracked in places.

My first thoughts were that I had a faulty brake caliper that was causing the brakes to bind, but fortunately found out about the Kia bulletin and tried that first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts