Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

How many miles should I expect to get out of my pads?

At my MOT a couple of weeks ago, there was an advisory on the one of the rear pads. The dealer is saying I need fronts too. I've done 17k in the car. From experience, dealers replace pads too soon, although I have no hesitation changing the rears since the MOT recommended it.

At the same time, brakes are obviously very important so not looking to cut corners!

Cheers,

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really as the car is at the dealers. They did send my a video but it's hard to see. They've said that the wear is uneven - 80% warn on front left, and 50% on the front right. Same difference between the two sides on the rear, although more worn with one on the indicator (the where the MOT flagged). I've told them to go ahead and change them all - the car is 3yrs old so.......

Registered
the life span of brake pads seems to vary wildly, even on the same car. Its a bit like the lifespan of a clutch or fuel consuption. I have a heavy car, automatic too, and both front & rear pads & disks are on their way to clocking up 60,000 miles. In addition I brake hard uneccessarily to keep the disks nice and shiny. Whereas other lighter manual cars can get 1/3 of that milage.
I don't mind how long they last, as long as the pads and disks all wear evenly and cleanly all the way down to their minimum thickness.
It's worse if all the parts require changing because just because one disk surface is scored up, or just one pad is eneven, or too thin while all the other parts have plenty of life left.

Registered
I think I would be asking the question why the uneven wear 80% on left side of car and 50% on right side. Normally the fronts wear faster than the backs but they should wear evenly

Registered
On calipers with the pistion/s on the inside only, premature wear on one pad only is usually caused by the slider pin assys lacking lubricant. The life span of the lubricant depends somewhat on the duration of high temperatures that the caliper has been exposed to and maybe how well the boot seals too.
My experience is that only coppaslip lasts a long time, though I've recently started using ceramic brake component grease and haven't seen how long that lasts yet.
It's also a good idea to take out the pins and clean and lubricate them when the wheels happen to be off, or even every year or two for those who are interested in getting maximum milage out of the brake consumables.

Yet another adavntage of using a set of winter wheels is that is gives the opportunity to:

• observe pad thickness
  • clean/lubricate front and rear height sensor linkages. These are expensive if they break.
  • lubricate brake caliper slider pin assemblies
  • add rust prevention to the wheel arch lips and places where dirt accumulates, Fluid Film for example.
  • check the drive shaft boots for leakage or damage.

Registered
Mine is at 18k miles at just over 18 months old.

Fully expect to have to change the front pads soon. Does anyone know how much Kia charge?

My trusted local Indy always fits Brembo pads and discs, so will be worth asking how much they charge for front pads......

Registered
How do you drive? Race up to the lights and bang on the brakes in the final 10 metres 脿 la BMW fraternity? I expect and receive 40,000 out of discs and pads at front but more at the rear but by then the weather has got at them. In 56 years of motoring I have never had a garage change my brakes as they are one of the simple jobs , especially with discs as my first car had rod operated brakes ( 1934 Riley Falcon)
The uneven wear does need attention , a sticking piston is often the culprit . Lubrication is the answer Coppaslip is excellent.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fronts were 拢342, and rears 拢354 fitted. My wife drives the car mainly and she's not a racer, It is mainly town driving so brakes are used often, but only from low speeds. I'm going to email the dealer becuase something doesn't seem right - i think Kia should perhap pay for some of the cost here. It's a waste to have had to have thrown away pads which are only 50% worn. In hind sight, I should have kept them!

Registered
Fronts were 拢342, and rears 拢354 fitted. My wife drives the car mainly and she's not a racer, It is mainly town driving so brakes are used often, but only from low speeds. I'm going to email the dealer becuase something doesn't seem right - i think Kia should perhap pay for some of the cost here. It's a waste to have had to have thrown away pads which are only 50% worn. In hind sight, I should have kept them!
Sorry, to be clear, 拢342 for two front pads fitted?? Not discs too, just pads?
If so, that鈥檚 surely a disgrace. I鈥檒l be going elsewhere.

Registered
I had my pads changed at KIA main dealer - rears at 30,000 miles and fronts at 33,000 miles. Cost was expensive at 拢320 and 拢250 respectively (Fronts were discounted as part of a deal) but I guess they are genuine Brembo parts.
My local independent garage could not even get pads to fit the callipers.
I drive and brake hard, so changing pads at 17,000 miles seems very early?
No sign of discs needing changing but MOT next week so will let you know then!

Registered
Wow been in the motor trade all my life from an apprentice to a qualified tech with my own business onto a QA for Europe for the UK Gov, not sure if the Stinger throws up some strange issues/copmplications but here is a lethargic vid of a pad and disc change on a Sorento, Even searching for genuine or better pads and factoring in 拢100 labour per hr, it's difficult to come to the charged prices, maybe there is a factor or 2 missing here, I would ask Kia service for their published std workshop times for replacement of the components as something appears amiss to me ? Even though I do all my own repairs owning older Land Rovers/truck/motorcycles and may be out of touch with late modern stufff, I still find it difficult to put a time and parts cost together as stated and arrive at 拢300 plus per axle TBH, open to education......

Registered
That鈥檚 what I thought to be fair. I guess they鈥檙e trying to recoup some of the cost of the Stinger. They haven鈥檛 sold many, the warranty is costing them and maybe the think we can afford elevated prices and will just pay without complaining.

I hope mine last 33k miles. At 18k at the moment and will see what Kia tell me in March. I will get my Indy to look at the pads for me when the time comes. And cost up a set. They use Brembo parts normally (better quality, last longer, less issues with punters coming back unhappy etc), so hopefully they can source the pads to fit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.