Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I started getting judder through the steering and brake pedal when braking, has anyone else had this problem on the Rio CRDi?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
M4 was it after a wet spell. Just thinking the discs could have been rusted slightly and caused the judder. I get that sometimes but only for a short while and then its smooth brakes again.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I don't think it's rust. The car does an average of 150 miles a day, so any rust does not stay on there long! I think it's the discs, they seem to be wearing out faster than the pads! I mostly do motorway driving, so the brakes don't get used much, but obviously, with disc brakes the pads are always in very slight contact with the disc. After 27 k miles, there's still more than 8mm on the pads, but there's an obvious lip on the edge of the discs where they have worn down, just over half a mm I think.

The judder you can feel through the pedal and the steering shakes from side to side. It's relatively slight at the moment, but I'm sure it's only going to get worse.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I would set up a dial test gauge and see how much the discs are warped. Just check all ball joints and bushes in lower arms to see if there is play there.
My mate he has a VXR Insignia and at 8000miles his discs are warped but only show up when they are hot. No problem when cold. The discs on this car are the floating type similar to a motorcycle disc.
He is getting them done under warranty. Is your car still under warranty as they would be replaced FOC. But you would have to pay for new pads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Most if not all brake discs (including commercial vehicles) wear a lip on the disc,since the change in the brake pad composition and the cheap manufacture of brake discs this always happens,it is more pronounced with drivers who are heavy footed on the brake pedal,then you find the discs over heat warp and have radial cracks in them,if you find your brake pedal feels as if it's moving up and down on brake application it's more than likely the discs are warped,if it's under warranty let the dealers put a dti on the disc to check run out,(if they have one)they will more than likely change the discs and pads,that's if they employ mechanics not fitters, good luck unless the bottom ball joints are made from crap like vauxhall vivaros ditto track rod ends vivaros and new ford transit you should be ok,i ran Nissans for 15 years (2 cars) and never changed a ball joint or track rod end,I hope these last as long he he!!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks woody. I don't think I'm that heavy footed on the stop pedal, plus most of my driving is on the motorway, so it doesn't get much use. I used to drive Nissans a lot. I had several Nissan Cherries, the N12 I think was the best car ever built, once you changed the front springs and dampers. Extremely reliable, economical, handled well, nimble and easy to fix if anything broke. The 1.5 Turbo model was a little rocket. I never had to change a brake disc, ever...even on one car which had done nearly 160k. However, I did have a lot of problems with ball joints and track rod ends. With track rod ends, it was not that they wore out, but the rubber perished. Had a few ball joints go over the years, which were a joy (not) to get off and replace...still at least they were bolted on, unlike other makes who rivited them on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts