Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My better half runs a 2009 1.6 diesel hatch back thats covered 158k miles.
Recently it's had an intermittent issue with the brakes.
It's been to a local garage several times, but the fault has disappeared before it's got there.
They had a good look around, but couldn't diagnose the issue as it wasn't present when they checked the car over.
I've had a look- also without the issue being present.
The front n/s disc was considerably hotter than the other 3.
The caliper piston had a "rubbing" spot along one side and one of the caliper slide pins was partially seized. There was also very slight warping on that disc.
I fitted a new caliper to that side and new discs and caliper slide pins to both front brakes and thought i may have cured the issue. This was about a month ago.
Since then I have been using the car (as my partner has lost confidence in it & needs a reliable vehicle for work).
Yesterday the gremlin resurfaced on a short run across town.
It was fine going one way (from cold) and was parked up for 3 hours.
As soon as I'd set off back the problem arose - I first thought I'd left the handbrake on.
It's as though the brakes clamp on and won't disengage!
All the discs are extremely hot when this happens, (so it's not a single caliper that's sticking).
I had to drive across town (about a mile) with this fault and I struggled to get it home.
The issue can disappear within an hour and all can be fine for weeks.

Has anyone suffered this issue, or can shed light on what I need to check next, please?
I'm thinking it may be a slave/master cylinder issue, but I'm just guessing.
(The brake pedal doesn't stick down when the issue arises).

Any ideas gratefully accepted.

Cheers. Gordon

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,393 Posts
If the brakes are 'sticking on' it's usually because the pads are seized, the caliper pistons are seized, or for some reason the brake fluid is not being allowed to return to the fluid reservoir. The first 2 seem to have been checked and discounted so what's left is the master cylinder. Bearing in mind that there are two separate brake circuits (usually opposite corners both of which use the same master cylinder) as well as a servo it starts getting complicated. It sounds as though there may be a bit of debris in the system which is acting as a one way valve. I've known this happen after mechanics have used flexible pipe clamps to avoid bleeding the whole system and the interior of the pipe has been damaged. Has the fluid been changed recently and if not I would get a good flush through with new fluid using a pressure system not just pumping the pedal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Phil.

I'm not sure if the system has been bled at the garages we've used, so it gives me a good excuse to get me a power bleeder added to my tool kit.
I will give it a good flush and see if it cures the issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.