Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it Kia policy to top up brake fluid level which has lowered due to brake pad wear and not to leaks. It is above the the minimum line. To do it now means having to drain off some when the pads are replaced.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Yes true, but for me that's the dealer's problem while my service plan lasts.
If you know he has replaced the pads then when you get it home I would douse with water all the paintwork under the reservoir as brake fluid used to be bad news for paint.

But if you do the pads yourself it is obviously something to look out for. I had the same problem on my old but beloved Xantia.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your comments. When I did my apprenticeship some 50 plus years ago we would not top it up as the reservoir was designed to accommodate the loss of fluid due to the ware on the brake shoes. We were also taught not to force the pistons back into their wheel cylinders for fear of damaging the seals In the master cylinder .We would release the pressure by opening the bleed nipple I have seen many mechanics forcing the pistons back with tyre levers. I can’t say what I was taught holds true today but back then they must have thought it was the right thing to do. The reason for me posing the original question was that I was charged for a litre of brake fluid to top it up. One would have thought half that would be enough.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If they used 1 litre of brake fluid then you have a leak somewhere. I imagine they used a bit of a litre but 1 litre is the minimum they can charge for.
Regarding piston compression rather than bleeding, there is still two schools of thought. Open bleed valve is the way it is listed in the workshop manual. Piston compression without releasing bleed valve is the way I imagine most garages do it as they don't want the hassle of breaking a bleed valve, drilling it out, replacing it and then rebleeding the system. As to which way is correct.........I guess the argument is one of those eternal ones (a bit like left braking in an auto)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts