Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">My brakes failedcompletelylast Friday afternoon.No driver information, no warning lights, nothing.The brake pedal locked up and could not be pressed down enough to stop the car.Kia have told me that a failed vacuum pump in the brake servo was the cause of the problem.I drive a 1.7D GSE in Ireland. This car is less than 6 months old with 10,000 KM on the clock.Not happy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
hmmm, even with a failed vacum pomp you should be able to stop a vehicle...
sure it will need a lot of pedal pressure as i have driven a hilux with the vacum hose removed from the brake servo box as test. but i was still able to stop it...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bitman said:
sure it will need a lot of pedal pressure as i have driven a hilux with the vacum hose removed from the brake servo box as test. but i was still able to stop it...

Bitman,

As I clearly said, "The brake pedal locked up and could not be pressed down enough to stop the car."

I had to use the
handbrake to stop the vehicle and for luck was in traffic at the time and
travelling very slowly.

However, I don't want the point of my post to be sidetracked.This is a failure of the most serious kind.

Creaky sunroofs, noisy shocks, flaky bluetooth and self-lowering seats I can just about live with, but when I put my foot on the brake pedal and the car doesn't stop, that's where I draw the line.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer has done an inspection. I have
requested a written report which I hope to get today. The only information I
have been given so far is that the vacuum pump failed. No reason why it failed
or if the problem was caused by something else. They did tell me that the
replacement pump is exactly the same as the original one - there have been no
upgrades or modifications to it in any way. How do I know this won't happen
again in a week or a month's time to me or someone else?

I e-mailed Kia and said I was not happy
to get back into the car and detailed the other problems I have had. They
didn't even respond to the e-mail and I was told by my dealer that they will
not do anything unless I commence legal proceedings. They also told me they
could hire me a car while the legal action was pending if I wasn't happy to
drive my own. The response from Kia is basically "we are sorry this
happened, but the car has been fixed, so take it back now and go away".
This is extremely shabby treatment.

If I was to start legal proceedings,
what would my objective be - replacement car, full refund? That feels to me
like a waste of my time and money to fight a battle that in all probability I
would not win. I doubt very much that Kia have not covered their arses
completely for these type of issues or am I going soft in my old age?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Here's some info for you:
The Sportage is a great car to drive.

Don't expect KIA or the KIA dealerships to be of any f*****g use or helpful when things go wrong.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Notwithstanding the seriousness of the failure :-

The pump has been replaced.

You would expect it to be ""the same""� as the original.

How do you know it won't happen again? ""“ you don't.

Kia haven't yet responded to your e-mail so you don't know
what they may propose.

Are you going soft in your old age ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Baz, this is obviously very serious. As has been said by bitman, you should still be able to stop a car without the vacuum pump and as belgrave has stated, how do you know that it won't happen again. I know that this sounds extreme, but this is a disaster waiting to happen, (motorway speed, no brakes etc) I would contact the police and get their take on it. If they aren't interested, a call to the press may be in order.
Hope this gets sorted safely and soon, Mike

·
Registered
260 Posts
Citizens Advice Bureaumaybe able to tell you avenues you ca go down but also the Consumer Rights Act will give you an idea of what you are entitled to when you make a purchase.

·
Registered
97 Posts
With all due respect.....Call the Police?? What on earth are they going to do for him? Lock the car up? I'd suggest not calling the Police; and people wonder why there aren't any Police around when they're needed!!
Paul

·
Registered
45 Posts
Paul, with all due respect, I said CONTACT the police and get their take on this. If Kia are preparsd to allow an almost new car on the road AFTER it has suffered complete brake failure and then tell the owner "We've fixed it, now go away" with no other explaination. I think that the police may have some interest, especially considering that they have to sort out the consequences of a potential crash.
Regards, Mike

·
Registered
153 Posts
There are now plenty of these cars worldwide and in the UK, up to a year old and with mileages up to at least 20k - any pattern of brake failure should be becoming apparent by now, surely?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yeah I'd say its an isolated incident however look at how one faulty washing machine/fridge can cause Beko and Hotpoint to do full UK recalls because of one fatal incident when someone dies in a house fire. Fact.

·
Registered
140 Posts
<i style="mso-bidi-font-style:normal">""If Kia are prepared to allow an almost new car on the road
AFTER it has suffered complete brake failure and then tell the owner
"We've fixed it, now go away" with no other explanation.""�[/i]

The key word is ""IF""� ""“ remember Kia haven't replied
yet and, to be perfectly honest, I don't think they will if they believe any
kind of court action may be forthcoming. Threatening legal action BEFORE any response
is received not the most productive way to deal with a problem like this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
belgrave said:
<i style="mso-bidi-font-style:normal">""If Kia are prepared to allow an almost new car on the road
AFTER it has suffered complete brake failure and then tell the owner
"We've fixed it, now go away" with no other explanation.""�[/i]

The key word is ""IF""� ""“ remember Kia haven't replied
yet and, to be perfectly honest, I don't think they will if they believe any
kind of court action may be forthcoming. Threatening legal action BEFORE any response
is received not the most productive way to deal with a problem like this.

I didn't threaten legal action. My Dealer told me the only way they will respond to my e-mail is if I send them a solicitor's letter first. I have absolutely no interest in wasting my time and money with a court case that in all probability I will not win.

Edited by: Baz53

·
Registered
101 Posts
Baz53 said:
bitman said:

Bitman,

As I clearly said, "The brake pedal locked up and could not be pressed down enough to stop the car."

I had to use the handbrake to stop the vehicle and for luck was in traffic at the time and travelling very slowly.

However, I don't want the point of my post to be sidetracked.This is a failure of the most serious kind.

Creaky sunroofs, noisy shocks, flaky bluetooth and self-lowering seats I can just about live with, but when I put my foot on the brake pedal and the car doesn't stop, that's where I draw the line.

have reread your post

indeed that's
hoop they will get to the bottom of this as this should never happen. glad you are ok thou

·
Registered
101 Posts
townie said:
Paul, with all due respect, I said CONTACT the police and get their take on this. If Kia are preparsd to allow an almost new car on the road AFTER it has suffered complete brake failure and then tell the owner "We've fixed it, now go away" with no other explaination. I think that the police may have some interest, especially considering that they have to sort out the consequences of a potential crash.

Regards, Mike

police? they don't care...

vosa are the guys you want to contact if you do want to get the government involved...

but for now lets wait about the email reply

1 - 20 of 65 Posts