Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a kia ceed gt line 19reg and I have noticed that the rear and front brake disc are scored and quite worn the car has only done 15000 miles is this normal or have I got a problem with the pads thanks

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Unfortunately this is quite common these days due to the materials used.. as to whether you can get a warranty claim on it is dubious and will no doubt be declined under wear and tare ..

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Modern brake discs are much more prone to corrosion than they used to be. Leaving the car unused for more than a week will allow them to rust. Also when washing your car make sure you immediately take it out for a run (couple of miles is fine) to properly dry the discs out. I haev found that they show rust only a few hours after washing my car if I don't do this.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi, I have a kia ceed gt line 19reg and I have noticed that the rear and front brake disc are scored and quite worn the car has only done 15000 miles is this normal or have I got a problem with the pads thanks
If the brake disc are worn at only 1500miles there is something really wrong with the disc. Disc should last 3,4,5 times much longer

·
Registered
963 Posts
Back in olden times pad/shoes material was asbestos based and quite soft. The discs wore very little but pads could have quite a short life, 12,000 was quite common.

With banning of asbestos other materials make up the pads plus there is some metal content (you can see it when you look at a worn pad). This creates the scoring but it does not affect braking efficiency. We have not replaced pads on any car since about 2002 and all our cars have done on average about 50,000 miles when sold. The last (and only) time I replaced discs was about 1993, that car had done 72,000 miles at the time. seem to remember a pair cost me £12.

·
Registered
Kia Soul Mixx CRDi
93 Posts
I've found as car models get newer, so the discs and pads wear out quicker. My last daily drive car a Skoda Fabia TDi muched through pads and discs very early on, so I insisted on EBC replacements. When the Soul needed new fronts at about 50 odd k I again went with EBC and upgraded to their Turbogroove and Greenstuff pads, made a very noticable improvement on the performance of the brakes just the slightest touch and they bite. Now at 62k I've had to replace the rears, so EBC again coated solid discs and Greenstuff pads. Cost, no different than Kia's own bog standard ones fitted.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've found as car models get newer, so the discs and pads wear out quicker.
That because newer cars are more powerful and despite being heavier a good deal quicker.

Go back 30 years. dad bought a new 1600 petrol Golf, 75 bhp, just under 1000kg and 0-60 in about 12 seconds.

Go out today and buy an equivalent car, lets say the Ceed 1.0 TGDi. 118 bhp, juat over 1300kg and 0-60 in about 10 seconds.

Why are you surprised brakes wear out quicker?

But look on the bright side, at least the newer cars are more economical, far safer and cheaper to service.

·
Registered
833 Posts
We drive differently these days. I was taught about use of engine braking but now (I understand) that is frowned upon as "brake pads are cheaper than clutches/gearboxes"

Having said that in driving for 50 years I have never had to replace a clutch, gearbox or brake disc (rotor) only pads. I await next years MOT to see how my Stonic pads are after 3 years and 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
963 Posts
We drive differently these days. I was taught about use of engine braking but now (I understand) that is frowned upon as "brake pads are cheaper than clutches/gearboxes"

Having said that in driving for 50 years I have never had to replace a clutch, gearbox or brake disc (rotor) only pads. I await next years MOT to see how my Stonic pads are after 3 years and 20,000 miles.
I drive no differently today than I did in the 70's when I was taught in a manual car. Taught to use the gears and brakes together and continue to do exactly that.

In 47 years on the road I have replaced about 3 clutches, had bearing replaced in one box after over 100,000 miles so no complaints there. Replaced one set of discs, that was after 70,000 miles so again no complaints. Back in the 70's and early 80's clutches were poor compared to todays, average life was about 40,000 miles and that was about when mine were replaced.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's quite normal due to the materials they use today. My discs got scored practically from the get-go when I bought brand new Xceed this year. DOnt worry - just drive the car and when you get through those OEM, upgrade to something that is aftermarket and a lot better.

·
Registered
963 Posts
DOnt worry - just drive the car and when you get through those OEM, upgrade to something that is aftermarket and a lot better.
Trust you are aware of the R90 regs that control the friction properties of OEM and aftermarket pads.

Trust you are aware that car manuafcturers do not actually make brake pads, they are made by on of several companies that also make the aftermarket pads.

Its all smoke and mirrors, people make themselves thing one brand is better than another or have some bizarre theory that can manufacturers do not know what is best for their cars.

Just fit any R90 pad and you will be fine and if you want to believe its better do so. But unless you did some back to back testing in a controlled environment you will never know for sure.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Here is one not made by anyone else and they do what they say on the box..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Trust you are aware of the R90 regs that control the friction properties of OEM and aftermarket pads.

Trust you are aware that car manuafcturers do not actually make brake pads, they are made by on of several companies that also make the aftermarket pads.

Its all smoke and mirrors, people make themselves thing one brand is better than another or have some bizarre theory that can manufacturers do not know what is best for their cars.

Just fit any R90 pad and you will be fine and if you want to believe its better do so. But unless you did some back to back testing in a controlled environment you will never know for sure.
LOL - so what are you saying - there is no difference between all the braking products out there? Zimmerman, ATE, TRW, BREMBO, BOSCH.... It's all the same - smoke and mirrors huh? 😂
Of course KIA is not making the brakes themselves - they have OEM supplier. But they get those components made to the certain price point like everything else on the car. And this is not some 911 Turbo or M car we are talking about - do of course you can get a lot better aftermarket stuff for KIA. Just like you can get better aftermarket wheels l, tires, suspension etc. And with brakes - you can sure as shit see the difference immediately.

·
Registered
963 Posts
LOL - so what are you saying - there is no difference between all the braking products out there? Zimmerman, ATE, TRW, BREMBO, BOSCH.... It's all the same - smoke and mirrors huh? 😂
Of course KIA is not making the brakes themselves - they have OEM supplier. But they get those components made to the certain price point like everything else on the car. And this is not some 911 Turbo or M car we are talking about - do of course you can get a lot better aftermarket stuff for KIA. Just like you can get better aftermarket wheels l, tires, suspension etc. And with brakes - you can sure as shit see the difference immediately.
Its not that there is no difference ECE R90 requires them to be between certain parameter compared to OEM and this ensures that braking performance is safe and should stop companies selling cheap Chinese knock off for pence that are unsafe.

Here is what EBC have to say about R90 ECE R90 or Regulation 90 - What’s it all about?

I have EBC brakes fitted to one of our cars and they are fine, better than the Ferodo predecessors for brake dust on the wheels and they stop the car perfectly with a good pedal feel.

If you think you can tell how well a set of pads perform simply by looking at the box then you are a wonderful person and should be making cars not fitting brake pads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What are you even talking about and why are you writing to me? Your writing has absolutely nothing to do with what I wrote.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts

Just what do you mean by quite worn?
A lip where the pads to not touch the disk?

How do the disks measure up to spec?

Take the wheels off and check the pads have not been sticking on.

·
Registered
963 Posts
What are you even talking about and why are you writing to me? Your writing has absolutely nothing to do with what I wrote.
I was replying to the part of your post I quoted because fitting any old pad could render the car illegal if the pads do not meet the requirements of ECE R90 even if they are supposedly better than the manufacturers original. But it still stuns me how many people think they know better than the manufacturer despite having no way of testing the parts they are fitting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts