Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've just had my service and first MOT and one of the recommendations was to replace my front brake disc and pads as they are badly used (27.5k miles).
One of the branches quoted me £415 for this. On the other hand kwik fit quoted me £340 with life time warranty on the pads (free replacement as long as I'm the car owner).
Does anyone have any recommendation? Or any experience with the kwik fit brakes?
Any idea what brand the OEM brakes are for the Proceed GT?
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Get it looked at first by a trusted garage.

Here is an example. We took our 3 year old Golf (36,000 miles) in for its 3rd service and first MOT. Recommendation to replace front pads. Checked them myself, they were fine, loads of life.

At the next service (48,000 miles) same warning but I had checked them before I took it this time so I knew it was fine.

Checked them again before the next service/MOT at about 59,000 miles and they were still OK for a few more months but getting close to needing changing. No warning by the same garage despite the fact they would not last another year..

I changed them a few thousand miles later, would have carried on a bit longer but about 62,000 miles is not bad for a set of front pads.

Robbing bar stewards I say.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Personally I would steer clear of Kwik fit, just out of principle but YMMV.

My ceed GT had the fronts done sooner than yours and I had ATS (I think) fit mintex kit before I was persuaded to try pagid the next time. Mintex were definitely better so I went back to them. Mintex seem to have stopped doing them for mine now so last week I had pagid put on for around £200.

That's the third set of discs before 60k and I've had interim pad changes as well.

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,386 Posts
I always buy pads and discs from Euro car parts as they are always having sales, Brembo or Pagid are the best. Then I get my local trusted indie to fit them. Currently their Bosch front discs for the Pro Ceed are £63.79 and Pagid pads are £36.84. That leaves you £240 to have them fitted taking your Kwik Fit quote into account. Personally I would avoid KF and their offer as they will always want to change the discs along with the pads to make money. I would ask around to find who uses a good indie and use them and it will cost a lot less than £240!

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you purchase through ECP, there is normally an option to choose an independent if you want them fitted. Have used this facility before and it has been excellent. Normally choose Eicher or Pagid myself.

There is another website also called "Bookmyservice" which will give you the same kind of choice. If you try the "Secretservice" option you will have an opportunity to have the work carried out by a main dealer masquerading as an independent. Again have tried this myself and found it ro be excellent

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you purchase through ECP, there is normally an option to choose an independent if you want them fitted. Have used this facility before and it has been excellent. Normally choose Eicher or Pagid myself.

There is another website also called "Bookmyservice" which will give you the same kind of choice. If you try the "Secretservice" option you will have an opportunity to have the work carried out by a main dealer masquerading as an independent. Again have tried this myself and found it ro be excellent
Thank you for this. I've never used ECP before and only noticed the fit it for me option once you mentioned it. Definetly going to use this.
So from the following comments, i've ruled the ECP brembo out. Ths leaves me with Bosch and Pagid, the prices are the same give or take a few pounds. Is there really a difference between the 2? anything special between the 2? (painted disc or anything similar?).

·
Registered
798 Posts
Pagid usually seem to be good quality - I have never had a problem with their parts.
I have also used Blueprint occasionally (if price advantage) and they seem to be good quality.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I doubt you'd notice anything between the bosch and pagid, even if you could compare one after another in the same situation. At the higher end of the performance range you'll be fine, even if you do occasionally find the limit. Maybe tone down your driving if those makes aren't up to the job? 😁

·
Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
348 Posts
Both Bosch and Pagid are OEMs to manufacturers. I’d go with Pagid based on previous experience, but if something wasn’t in stock I wouldn’t have a problem with Bosch

1 - 13 of 13 Posts