Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maintenace schedule on 1.6 CRDIstates that brake/clutch fluid should be replaced every 40000 kms or 25000 miles. Does anybody know does that mean a full scale bleeding of brake system and flushing of clutch master cylinder? It is not specific and very ambiguous in the owners manual. Does anyone know how big a job it would be?
Thanks !

·
Registered
144 Posts
Your local main dealer can offer all the advice you need on this. But thats right, you dont like paying for experts do you, you would rather trust the lowest bidder when it comes to work on the brakes for your car.

Thank you , you have made my point entirely.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Andyroo
Most car makers recommend changing the brake and clutch fluid at about every 2 years, it is because the fluid is hydroscopic (i.e. It sucks up moisture)

You can do it yourself, if you know what you are doing?

If not, leave it to the trained ones.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Kia Passa,
I certainly will get a mechanic to do it. I would do it myself, looks simple enough but wont risk the warranty. Reason why I aksed that question is that in the last year I have grown a keen interest in car care and maintenance. Changing brake/clutch fluid is not something which I previously thought would be part of a maintenance schedule but now I know. I learn something new about cars every day!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi andyroo
Just thought i would join in, in this testosterone fuelled thread,Warranty work is always a grey area,Dont leave your self wide open for refusals to honour it,

If a main stealer can wriggle they will, Keep your service record unblemished bite the bullet pay for there services if some thing isnt right keep taking the vehicle back keep the legal rights on your side.Or use your indie, You pays your money you takes your choice, Be prepared to do battle if some thing goes a rie.

Personally i gave up on main stealers after my discovery,£75 an hour labour charges shoddy workmanship,This from a flagship dealer even went as far as small claims court for work promised and not delivered.

I dont use main dealers for sevices and i except that i may be heading for a fall, but this is a forum and every one has astory to tell.

Best of luck wwat ever you decide

col

·
Registered
111 Posts
Andy,
This job can be carried out during a service,cost depends on your local dealer.
This is something a lot of people overlook, brake fluid will have an ingress of moisture over time which will effectively make it easier for you to boil the brake fluid under heavy prolonged braking. This results in the need to apply a very heavy pedal pressure, with low efficiencies.(Poor Brakes)
A few years ago I suggested that fluid should be available in say three colours so that if you look at a service record, and the look at the fluid colour it would give you a good idea how long the fluid had been in the car.
Speak to You Soon

·
Registered
887 Posts
yesitsmeagain said:
Andy,

This job can be carried out during a service,cost depends on your local dealer.
If job is done as part of service at a kia dealer it is changed every 2nd service regardles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont thinkbrake fluidwas replaced for my second service at my dealership!They entitled my second service as a "major" service. I saw on the itemised bill I was charged for ATF fluid, but that may have been mistaken for brake fluid. I dont need ATF fluid in my model I think. I must ring them to clarify.

Got a question though! Are the clutches on the ceed hydraulic? I see there is a little resevoir on the passangers side, located opposite the brake fluid resevoir on the drivers side. A friend of mine who is into cars said to me that most modern cars with manual transmission have cable clutches and dont need fluid. Is this true with the ceed? Am very interested to know what that resevoir is if it isnt for the clutch?

Best regards,

Andy

·
Registered
887 Posts
Your friend who is into cars has is the wrong way round, cars are lamost all going over to hydralic clutches it seems, and yess Cee'd is hydrailic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anotherquestion!..How longdoes that job takes to bleed andreplace fluid from the brake and clutch resevoirs?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts