Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(2005 Sedona 2.9 Diesel)
For the last few weeks I have had a problem with my Sedona. The car starts first time (every time), but the brake warning and battery warning lights are flickering very dimly. While driving they may go off completely for a few minutes, but also may come on brightly for a few seconds.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
On reading a number of posts, it looked like the battery or alternator may have been away, but I have checked these out.
At standing, the battery delivers approx 12.4V across the terminals, while running I get 14.2V. So it looks like the battery is good, and the alternator is also good.
I have also just replaced the brake pads, so it's not that either.
Any ideas as to what may be the issue?

On other observation was that when the problem first started it looked like the car was more susceptible while driving on a rough road surface.

Could it be a loose earth connection? If it could be, where would I look?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Try putting a single jump lead from your battery negative post to a good clean bare metal point on the engine block. Start engine and see if this cures it. You could also run another lead from the negative post to the chasis. This should tell you if is an earthing problem which it sounds like as Paul has said.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I'll certainly try the jump lead trick later.

A little more info regarding the problem (My wife now refuses to drive the car, and now has mine until I solve this issue, so I now have good first hand experience of the issue)

On the drive into work the lights did not noticeably flicker.

On the drive home in the dark the warning lights started to dimly flicker at a rate of approx 1 second intervals. I also noticed that the headlights and dash lights where also similarly affected with a slight dimming.

There did not appear to be any difference when the car was being driven at 70mph of standing in traffic, just the same steady 1 second pulsing.

And again, this morning, everything looks to be fine.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
12.4volts nornmally means the battery is shot, a healthy battery should be at least 12.6 volts when tested across the terminals with nothing in the car switched on. Never realised this until a couple of years ago, always expected a 12 volt battery to be 12 volts. My car (non Kia)failed to start andbattery read 12.4 volts and the warranty had 1 week left. When the key was turned all sorts of lights flashed and relays operated but the engine would not even turn. Parts place at first refused to change it saying with only a week left they would not get any money back but after I mentioned visiting trading standards with their hand written gaurantee they changed their mind at firstoffering a cheap underpowered alternative before replacing with like for like. Once fitted car started perfectly with no further problems since.

Do a Google search and you will find out about what voltage a healthy battery should be.

Hope that helps.

Paul

·
Registered
422 Posts
He says the car is starting ok so I would think the battery is ok - Its interesting to see that the headlights are also flickering this would indicate to me that the alternator is faulty - probably overcharging and the flickering is caused by the regulator in the alternator cutting in to reduce the charge and the result is the flicker. You could put an ammeter across the battery terminals to check the output of the alternator - with engine running - should read around 14.5 volts - increase the revs and see whether it rises it shouldn't - higher than that is the problem - alternatively disconnect the electrical connections from the alternator or remove the drive belt - so in effect your are running without an alternator and see if this stops the flickering. Wont do any harm to run it without the alternator connected for a short while.
Easiest option is to go to an reputable Auto electrician and ask him to check a. the battery and b. the alternator - most places will do this for free - a lot of tyre /battery places have the equipment as well, but they will probably try and flog you a battery that you may not need.

Good Luck with it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts