Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have got a 06 Sedona LX 2.9L Diesel. Now and again the Battery and Brake warning lights come on together dimly. This first happened in the rain and I suspect this is a bit of damp getting into a connector and creating an earth path. Has anyone seen this before or suggest where the offending connector, that has both the sensor wires in it, might be located before I start a random search.

Thanks

Alasdair

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2000 Sedona with exactly the same problem. In addition, slight electrical interference can be heard on the radio, and occasionally the radio turns off, then sometimes back on.

Did you solve this problem?

If not, does anyone else know whatcould becausing it and where I can start looking?

I am a competant DIY mechanic, but not as good with auto electrics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes I agree.
I'vedone some investigation work based on suggestions from all over the internet. Checked all fuses, checked and cleaned all connectors and grounds, did a draw test to check ampage, changed the regulator on the alternator, etc etc. The only way I can get the Brake and Battery lights to stop lighting up is to disconnect the plastic connector to the alternator.So it points to thealternator *sigh*

This is the second alternator to die in 60,000 miles. Which is very short life for an alternator. A lot shorter than what I'm used to with other makes and models of car. From what I have read the KIA sedona munches through alternators regularly so I'm no longer surprised its gone again. Its still charging but only at 12.35V which means I can still drive around until it eventually gives up.

So anyone else with this issue, I would check your grounds are in good condition first as this is relativelt simple - just follow the wiring loom and check everywhere it connects to the engine/fusebox/chassis, but its most likely the alternator.

I suspect theinadequate design of the alternator and the excess heat from the engine is resulting in a short alternator life span. I plan to make some sort of heat shield from aluminium and heat reflective foil (like you find down the back of radiators, available from DIYs) to go under the alternator to shield it from the heat of the engine and exhaust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts