Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, not posted in a while... Here is some help to get free/cheaper charging, in my case, in my EV6.

I had posted this over on another forum, but wanted to share here as well as it seem to not be covered and a lot of people found this very useful, once EV driver I chatted to yesterday at the Shell garage was about to pay 69p a KW, told him about this app, he downloaded it, used the code, free charges and a trial, free coffee for me :). Yes I will get £15 if you sign up but thats not why I am posted this, trust me :)

I have been using Bonnet for about 5 weeks or so now. It's an app that combines EV charging points from several companies into one app. You find a point near you most likely . They have charge plans that mean you pay as low as 25p per kilowatt if you pre buy KW packs per month. However, there are trials first! Not sure if Bonnet does US but it does do UK/EU. Even at their PAYG rate its cheaper than say Shell's rate and Osprey's rate, not to mention the other rates..... which I have just seen 70p!!! a KW.

To get started check out www.joinbonnet.com or you can get the app by searching on the App Store for Bonnet.

For a larger EV the fact you can use one charge for an 'empty to full' session means that, combined, this can have a value of up to about £20 each charge for the EV6 77.4KW battery x £0.25p at any charger listed on their app. It includes Slow/Fast and Rapid chargers so it really is a pretty good money saver for anyone with an EV considering most peoples electricity has gone way over £0.25p a KW now and public charging is 35p+ a KW some places 69p+!!!.

After registering you can combine it with these codes to get free trials and free tops ups to test it out.

First of all, £15 free in your account by using a referral code, DM me if you want to use it and we both get £15 to start with, this would go towards you next bill (2nd month) if you stay and don't cancel after the trial is up.

Then..

Code: FIRSTCHARGE2 (first charge free)
Code: ONEFREE (one more charge free)
Code: ND3FB (3 free charges) expired now it seems

Code TAXIBNT will get you up to 200KW free but only when you commit to buy a 200KW plan (£50 per month), you then don't pay anything, 1st month free basically. I have it running just now, see how things go, maybe cancel after free KW is used up. You can cancel at anytime as well which is good. Remember you need to sign up to buy a £50 a month top up before you get it for free.

I have since canceled for now, so got almost 400KW for free, I plan to use Bonnet again soon though, with their £50 a month plan, works out cheaper for me in Summer while traveling in the UK.

Code SPEAKEV20 to get £20 off your first refill after you have used your free KWs above.

Be careful as some code expire after the first month and try get a full charge from your free codes unlike me who stupidly done a 15mins charge and used up a code :(. Can use all you KWs before they expire so go easy lol. I think you could realistically use the free 200KW + maybe 1 or 2 of the free charges in a month?.

Lots of chat about this app over at Introducing Bonnet - Charge your EV with one app. For...

I recently charged at Shell and Osprey for free on 50KW stations when out and about, app is great and very fast, who wants to pay £0.69p+ a KW at Shell or whatever it is. They recently added GeniePoint EV Charging as well so thats usually Morrisons supermarkets covered!!!!. Hope they add much more in the future. I heard on a Fullcharged Live show they have just secured lots in funding for their idea. They just need to add ChargePlace Scotland now :) TBH CP Scotland is only £0.15p per KW here with a £1.60 connection fee so cheaper than Bonnet but not while the free KW codes are going about, such a great idea they have, I would use it over CPS just ti support the cause of having more flexible charging.

Edited by iooi. As per forum rules. No referral codes allowed in public posting.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update with more codes....

Another Free charge: “UKEVOC”
Yet another Free charge: “FREECHARGE2”
and....... yes, another Free charge: “HELLOLDN”

And some BIG news..... Bonnet has now added Ionity to their charger lists! so £0.25 a KW for those of you who need it. Which is the same as the Kia charge Ionity package we all got free for 12 months... 350kw Ionity station here I come.... well it's in Perth, maybe not just now :)

·
Registered
Kia EV6 GT Line-S AWD in Black, no heat pump
49 Posts

And some BIG news..... Bonnet has now added Ionity to their charger lists! so £0.25 a KW for those of you who need it. Which is the same as the Kia charge Ionity package we all got free for 12 months... 350kw Ionity station here I come.... well it's in Perth, maybe not just now :)
Yes and even on the pay as you go Ionity is £0.35... I am paying 0.28 at home! Also they added GeniePoint... which is strong in some areas.

If you add the Free charge, so they expire or can you add them and hold them?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Cheers, so the free first charge is something you rock up with and just charge for free for any amount?

·
Registered
522 Posts

Is the 25p for any charge or only on their paid plans?

·
Registered
Kia EV6 GT Line-S AWD in Black, no heat pump
49 Posts
Is the 25p for any charge or only on their paid plans?
I think that's IF you subscribe - the PAYG is 0.35 I think from memory. You can sign up for a plan and then chancel it but I think you need to pay for monthly "blocks". Very handy if you are planning a road trip. Also a great way of reducing IONITY costs when the Kia membership runs out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bonney just raised their prices, maybe seen this? anyway still cheaper that BP/Ionity etc, just not 0.25p. Hope this can change again in the future.

·
Registered
Order: EV6 GT Line S in Runway Red with heat pump (26 Mar 22) Delivery: not even God knows …☹️)
5 Posts
Bonney just raised their prices, maybe seen this? anyway still cheaper that BP/Ionity etc, just not 0.25p. Hope this can change again in the future.
Be careful what you wish for - any change is likely to be upwards !

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree, it was inevitable. But still slightly cheaper, home charging seems far cheaper, for me anyway. I'll use what I have with Bonnet and put it on hold for now. Was good while it lasted. Got from Scotland to Scarborough and a return trip for 25p a KW.... only £38 spent there and back. 154KW or so used.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts