Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well picked up my soul 2 crdi automatic today. i was driving a ford fusion getting 22mpg before,now after driving 60 miles in the soul getting 40.1 mpg according to the onboard comp. I'm well pleased really comfy, takes a little while to get used to the driving position lol. but will get there.
SteveA

·
Registered
283 Posts
Welcome Steve A hope you enjoy your Soul, got mine mainly because of the driving position, and of course the looks eh!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to admit my soul is a fantastic ca,r the best i have ever driven, and i have had a lot of cars in my 40 years of driving, i just love the soul it is so easy to drive. I have read some comments on here that the soul hasn't got any powe,r but i beg to differ, i have no trouble passing wagons and she never seems to complain. Unlike the ford fusion i had, it was a 1.6 and had no guts.The soul on the other hand has to be reigned in lol. Am I glad i chose the soul and not the fiesta.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I think that the Soul diesel has a punchy engine and because to get the best out of it you have to keep it on the turbodriverstend not do this. The complaint then is that is not very good but SteveA you have the auto which keeps it in the right spot so you get the best out of it.I have the manual and tend to drive it hard but this gets the best out of the engine regarding performance.I also have many years of driving experience in all sorts of cars (about 2.25 million miles ish with in the late 60s a police driving course) and maybe we have a different attitude towards driving. The Soul is a good car for the price and is indivdualin design not like so many of the other cars on the road which all look the same.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Cant agree here. My Soul Diesel is improving vastly with age, but my previous Fiat was a bigger car, had a bigger but 20% less powerful diesel engine and would leave the Soul for dead in both performance and economy. My other current car (a Seat Altea) rides and handles far better than the Soul (despite been pretty much the same size and height) and has a beautiful slick gearchange. The Soul is a really nice looking individual car with character, it does most things very well and only a few things badly..... so as an overall package it is a damn good car. I suppose it is down to our own personal points of reference.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I was looking at a Skoda Yeti , wanted a cheap to run four wheel drive , Ive had three Landrovers in the past ten years & a Kia Cerato & a Smart car . Always ended up back with the landrover . Plus I used to go off road when i had them for fun .
With the way the winters have been , the Yeti seemed the best option . The waiting list on some models is 3 - 6 months & I didn't want to wait that long , so got the Soul instead .

With the Soul ,It is very much the same , size , fuel comsumption , road tax , insurance group , safetyetc .

plus the Soul is better looking . The downside is it two wheel drive , but that just means I stay at home like most of my collegues whenwe get snowed in & not make it into work. the other extras the Yeti had was A/C in the glove box/ rear of the vehicle plus roof bars. But it only came with a three year warrenty & they also suffer from stonechips & in the same places .

Forgoing for the Soul , Ive got a better warrenty , nicer looking vehicle , more bits avalable to tart it up & because it was ex demoits came out £10K cheaper than what the Yeti would have cost me for a almost like for like vehicle in some ways .
Edited by: Raider

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I thought Tempest that you were quite happy with the performance of your soul and you have got it to drive well with increasing improvements as it gathered miles,every car is difference on performance,my other car will leave the soul for dead.My soul however has a better torquey engine which Ithink is adiesel characteristic and is punchy reasonably flexible. Each car even with the same engine as in the VW group performs different and many will beat the Soul but the soul is more than the sum of all its parts.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i am happy with my Tempest. But i am aware of its abilities and shortfalls in comparison to other similar vehicles. As an overall package, its good points outweigh its bad points massively and it takes some beating. The proof is in the pudding - the Seat Altea is for sale, the Tempest isnt.

I guess that i tend to come across a touch negative about the car because my initial enjoyment of it was ruined with the paint issues. But as a car, i think it has real character which is an undefined quality. I always look forward to the weeks when i drive it - even tho i know it wont do some things quite as good as the Altea. The Altea is a well made, slick driving appliance.......the Tempest is a family pet.
Edited by: tempest

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As has been said it is a personal choice, for me it is the first diesel i have ever driven. I feel the soul is a unique car, and i look forward to driving it. Even my mrs has noticed that I am more relaxed as a driver in the soul than i have been in any of our other cars, maybe it is the driving position that is better for me.

Or is it the soul just has soul lol.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i have had nothing but diesels since 1995..... and each new car was bigger, faster, quieter, smoother and more economical than the previous...... the Soul missed out on the bigger, faster and more economical factors. But as you say... it has Soul..... so its forgiven.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts