Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This place has restored my faith in Kia after a few trips to a local dealer and feeling let down and fobbed off I thought I'd try Bolton as I was in the area. So I took it in my car for repair for the dreaded dash rattle that my local dealer said there was no fault on 3 occasions. Bolton Kia provided a free courtesy car which was an added bonus called me back to collect my car 2 days later and surprise surprise they found a fault. 2 broken clips and lose wires knocking about. They even fixed the latch on my boot that I wasnt aware was lose and also the trim around my gear stick which I was charged for this repair only a month ago at my local dealer and it was still lose. All done free of charge hassle free. Thanks again Bolton Kia!

·
Registered
287 Posts
"..It's because they are directly owned by Kia.." - it shouldn't make any difference though.
Either a dealer represents the brand or they don't
In representing the brand they should give service as directed by the Head Office of whatever company it is they represent (in this case, Kia UK)
Bolton Kia consistently show what "should" happen - sadly too many times on this forum other dealers fall short.
To be fair, other marques are just the same and good service is "patchy" at best
An immediate answer should be for Kia (and other brands) to investigate the issues raised on forums like this to find out what is going wrong.

·
Registered
276 Posts
"..It's because they are directly owned by Kia.." - it shouldn't make any difference though.
In representing the brand they should give service as directed by the Head Office of whatever company it is they represent (in this case, Kia UK)
Bolton Kia consistently show what "should" happen - sadly too many times on this forum other dealers fall short.
To be fair, other marques are just the same and good service is "patchy" at best
An immediate answer should be for Kia (and other brands) to investigate the issues raised on forums like this to find out what is going wrong.
As an owner who values good customer service, I would be prepared to extend my radius of Kia dealerships to have my car serviced by the "good" ones, even though it caused me personal inconvenience in terms of distance travelled. When you consider that car buyers these days, particularly if they are sourcing their new cars through online services like CarWow, are prepared to travel to conclude a purchase deal, I see little difference in doing the same with the reputable Kia service agents for annual servicing.

This might just be the sort of kick up the backside which under performing dealerships need when they lose their local custom to improve their service levels.

·
Registered
973 Posts
In theory it shouldn't make any difference,
but it in practice, in the real world, it does.

I think Kia have changed the rules and numbers, and so the franchised main d(st)ealers are doing the same work for less money, and they don't like it. Work to rule.

Follow the money and you won't be far from the real truth.

·
Registered
287 Posts
As an owner who values good customer service, I would be prepared to extend my radius of Kia dealerships to have my car serviced by the "good" ones, even though it caused me personal inconvenience in terms of distance travelled. When you consider that car buyers these days, particularly if they are sourcing their new cars through online services like CarWow, are prepared to travel to conclude a purchase deal, I see little difference in doing the same with the reputable Kia service agents for annual servicing.

This might just be the sort of kick up the backside which under performing dealerships need when they lose their local custom to improve their service levels.
Buying and servicing are two different transactions though.
When you buy there is "new car to you" excitement and if its fair way from where you live it can also be extra exciting that you made the road trip for your required spec / colour /model etc
Servicing however is something that most owners want doing as quickly and conveniently as possible (and at a fair price). Most folks wouldn't want to go to strange town many miles away in the same way they would to buy a car as buying is a "user involved" whereas servicing is hand it over then what do you do for x number of hours.
This is a big reason why a marque owner should expect the marque representatives to perform the same quality of servicing /repairs and especially in Kia's case, warranty repairs whether they are 5 / 10 / 50 / 100 miles away.

·
Registered
287 Posts
In theory it shouldn't make any difference,
but it in practice, in the real world, it does.

I think Kia have changed the rules and numbers, and so the franchised main d(st)ealers are doing the same work for less money, and they don't like it. Work to rule.

Follow the money and you won't be far from the real truth.
If Kia are screwing down the dealers for warranty work then they need to be prepared that within 5 years the motoring media will be running stories like "7 year warranty, but only if you use Bolton Kia.."
They have in the last few years changed from "that Korean company that are making reasonably cheap cars that are fairly reliable but have a 7 year warranty just in case" to "Market leading vehicles at a competitive price and with a 7 year warranty"

The key being the warranty and it drives a lot of owners to favour Kia on the assumption they are "safe" for 7 years.
If the reality is on a downward spiral then you can see what the future headlines will be...."Kia offer 7 year warranty but is it worth the paper its written on..?" and then there's Watchdog type programs that will pick up on it in the same way they did for Vauxhall cam tensioners / Ford EcoBoost engine failures / Vauxhall Zafira fires etc
At worst it could put Kia out of business as it did with Takata and their airbags

The internet is a great tool for folks voicing opinions but "mud sticks" and it doesn't take that many forum posts to start a downward public opinion.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm seriously considering driving the 77 miles to use these guys.

Reactions: aircraft

·
Registered
973 Posts
If Kia are screwing down the dealers for warranty work then they need to be prepared that within 5 years the motoring media will be running stories like "7 year warranty, but only if you use Bolton Kia.."
They have in the last few years changed from "that Korean company that are making reasonably cheap cars that are fairly reliable but have a 7 year warranty just in case" to "Market leading vehicles at a competitive price and with a 7 year warranty"

The key being the warranty and it drives a lot of owners to favour Kia on the assumption they are "safe" for 7 years.
If the reality is on a downward spiral then you can see what the future headlines will be...."Kia offer 7 year warranty but is it worth the paper its written on..?" and then there's Watchdog type programs that will pick up on it in the same way they did for Vauxhall cam tensioners / Ford EcoBoost engine failures / Vauxhall Zafira fires etc
At worst it could put Kia out of business as it did with Takata and their airbags

The internet is a great tool for folks voicing opinions but "mud sticks" and it doesn't take that many forum posts to start a downward public opinion.
Motoring Journalists will write anything you want them to, if you pay them the right amount.

That's why they always favour German brands.........

·
Registered
40 Posts
I,ve got my sportage booked in for the 2nd service at bolton on friday,It,s about 45 mins from me but I would rather go there than use my local kia dealer 20mins away.lets just say I was,nt over impressed with there service last year

M

·
0 Posts
Unfortunately the closest two dealers to me are the same company so if the service isn't great I may have to give Bolton Kia a try they are 80 miles from me.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Absolute madness that people including myself are considering driving this distance due to poor dealer service.

Reactions: aircraft
M

·
0 Posts
I cannot find any reviews for Rayrigg who have a dealership in Bowness in South Cumbria which is fairly close and one in Lancaster which is approximately 50 miles away, I am hoping as they are not listed here as a bad dealer I will never have to travel to Bolton to see how the best compare.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its honestly worth the drive out they're 60 miles from me yeah I was that way so it was easier but I did have to return to get the work done. Courtesy car was provided free of charge which my local dealer charges for. Work I was charged for before and wasnt completed correct was completed free of charge at Bolton also I mentioned about something it wasnt booked in for and they completed that no questions asked. Its just a shame Kia doesn't audit and make sure all Kia dealerships work to their standard.

M

·
0 Posts
Members should name and shame bad dealers in the customer support forum as they have said they take complaints seriously.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Members should name and shame bad dealers in the customer support forum as they have said they take complaints seriously.

I called Kia customer service to complain before about a previous dealership and their response was well its at the dealers discretion which if that is how they look at ever likely there is so many bad out there!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Definitely taking my sorento here as my local dealer was adament it was the clutch causing the 2nd gear notcyness when it's clearly the synchro (confirmed by an independent mechanic) and myself I think kia don't pay them as much for warrenty work so it's in there best interest to try an make us foot the bill in the first instance!!!! they know all the faults on these cars (clutches and gearboxes) so why be so awkward when it comes to doing the warranty work

·
Registered
51 Posts
Only 69 for me - could tie it in with some sight seeing. Is there anything to see in Bolton apart from the famous pet shop?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Definitely taking my sorento here as my local dealer was adament it was the clutch causing the 2nd gear notcyness when it's clearly the synchro (confirmed by an independent mechanic) and myself I think kia don't pay them as much for warrenty work so it's in there best interest to try an make us foot the bill in the first instance!!!! they know all the faults on these cars (clutches and gearboxes) so why be so awkward when it comes to doing the warranty work
Because they get paid a royal sum for non warranty work,

and they get paid peanuts for warranty work.
Always looking to get their bonus, and make the bonus bigger.

Kia customer service is just an outsourced 3rd party outfit, they have NO authority over the main d(st)ealers.

In your case, they have to have the clutch out to fix the gearbox issue. So they would fix the gearbox (without telling you the customer) and also charge you for fitting a new clutch. A double for the dealer. Not called main d(st)ealers for nothing!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts