Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,

thought i should register as a member on this forum as we have taken delivery of a Sportage and after having driven it for 4 days, I have to say how impressed i am with the ride and feel of it. Being a life long Mercedes driver (CLK/SLK), the missus wanted something a bit different, hence the Sportage.

Before i start of with my very first question, i really wanted to know if this issue had been brought up before UK side. After doing quite a bit of research, I have found a few users have experienced the exact same fault as us.

When pairing a blackberry to the car, it works for a short period then errors. The car continually saying pair failed and can only be cleared by turning the car off completely. I have been back to our dealers and they provided me with a list of phones that work etc, but cant seem to understand the question i asked, in that when we initially ordered the car, we stressed the need to have bluetooth, with no mention of "some phones" not being compatible.

Since then, I have written to the KIA HQ and have asked for a solution/response. I am as yet to hear anything back from them, apart from a list of compatible phones.

:) Please let me know if this issue has been raised before and if anyone has found a solution?

Many thanks

Chris and Shell.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi,

There are a number of topics in the forum dealing with bluetooth issues.Here's a selection.

http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic3201.html

http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic3101.html

http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic3147.html

http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic3026.html

http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic2915.html

In summary, the bluetooth phone control and voice recognition software appears to be very flaky.

I brought mine back to the dealer and reported it almost a month ago. My dealer has reported it to Kia....I'm still waiting for a response.

I think the only way anything will be done is if enough people complain.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi there,
We've had a Sportage FE since Septmber 2010. If you are waiting for a Blackberry to pair successfully with the Kia bluetooth for any length of time you are in for a great wait.

My advise is give up now and buy a stand alone bluetooth. The only bigger waste of time is waiting for any response from Kia.

The saving grace is that the car is superb.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi one and all,

firstly thanks baz for the list of forum posts, very interesting indeed. Thanks also Belgrave, I have my fingers crossed but like you, I dont hold out for much on this one.

I may have managed however to get a work-around. Thankfully both our BB's are on the compatible list, however it seems that since the list was produced, BB have updated the software for their phones. This has meant our BB's on Software update 6, when the KIA only works with the original 4. I have found that after downloading the original Software 4 and overwritten the 6, it now seems to work a treat !!!! A treat I hear you say, well a treat for all of yesterday; I have yet to pluck up the courage and try it again this morning

I shall of course keep you all posted. And naturally if anyone else is having the same problem and have a BB, but are unsure of how to reset it, they are more than welcome to drop me a line, although it really is easy.

Thanks again.

Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a very quick update on this pair fail.

It is now rectified by changing the upto date version on the BB to the supported version 4. All well and good, however now the bluetooth does not recognise my contacts list, even though it has been transfered. grrr.....

It does however let me dial using the BB itself (not your best idea), but receives calls via the Bluetooth in car, so at least I now have it 50/50 working..

I have also informed KIA HQ that I am not satisfied with their response and have told them the e-mail passed to me, is now winging its way to Watchdog, TopGear, 5thgear to name but a few. Their uptake on the fault is, go back to the dealership as it is not a KIA fault ???

·
Registered
96 Posts
That's a disappointing response from Kia and not what you want to hear having just spent a large wedge on a new car. It doesn't sound like it's even on the "must-fix-someday" list.

Maybe belgrave is right.....forget about it and enjoy the good things about the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very true Baz and as Belgrave says, enjoy it. Only driven it for 300 miles and smiling

Funny to think, this Sportage was a replacement for my beloved Porsche Cayman... Extreme or what ??? lol...

Chris.

·
Registered
70 Posts
fyi, I had big problems with my nokia n96, same as everyone else it would pair ok maybe 80% of the time on first getting into the car, but if I had to stop for fuel etc, it would fail permanently (and then crash the phone).

Just got a new phone from work to replace the nokia, an htc desire, and it works perfectly. however many times I switch the ignition on or off, it pairs with no issues... the phonebook transfer seems to take some time (and it still gets the names back to front) but at least I don't have to take the battery out of the phone any more...

So inconclusive whether the problem is phone or car related (bearing in mind the nokia worked fine with my old sony bluetooth head unit)... I had always thought that bluetooth was a generic protocol but it seems not...

·
Registered
140 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the bluetooth protocol - most of us will find it easier and less frustrating to buy an off the shelf, stand alone,bluetooth phone/navigation package. Wait for KIA to solve their problems and you will drawing your pension.

·
Registered
1 Posts
<div style="text-align: left;">"On the subject of operating Bluetooth phones"
<div style="text-align: left;">

<div style="text-align: left;">For Kia to suggest that as a customer we should 'buy' an off the shelf, stand alone, bluetooth packageis nothing less than insulting. I guess it's a case of;we've got your money, now run along. Like another customer here, when I purchased my car I asked the question would a Bluetooth phone work? And was told 'yes', no further probing as to the model of the phone and only until I came to speak to a sales advisor face-to-face, some time after taking delivery did he inform me that there was an issue with Blackberry phones! -
- IT'S THE 21ST CENTURY NOT THE DARK AGES!

<div style="text-align: left;">To his credit he tried to set up my device and when it failed made further enquiries, only to discover that sure enough my model wasn't supported, but gave me a print-out of those phones that were - Blackberry included. -

<div style="text-align: left;">Following the receiving of this 'not so welcome news', I was able to find a model that was through ebay, but upon receiving this new/old model found the same scenario was the case. Now you shouldn't need a phd in order to set these things up and it would appear to be a Kia only problem, as I have managed to pair and operate successfully the same phone/s with other makes of cars, so my remark to those responsible at Kia is;

<div style="text-align: left;">"PULL YOUR FINGER OUT AND SORT THE PROBLEM!!!" -

<div style="text-align: left;">Or risk losing consumer confidence in a product that is otherwise ok. "From small acorns, large oak trees grow" - don't risk this becoming such! -

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for posting your experiences with Bluetooth. I bought a Kia Picanto this week and have the same problem that my Blackberry Torch 9810 pairs and connects for about 30 seconds or so before failing. It's very frustrating and I certainly don't intend to spend more on technology because Kia can't provide a servicable link. I previously used the same phone with two different Vauxhall models prior to buying the Kia with no trouble at all.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Always pays to check compatibility. My Scooby has the latest all singing and dancing system, and yet the handbook lists very few compatible phones, and iphone and Android work differently, and not all functions work for both, or in the same way!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi thanks for replying.

IMO when we are sold a car that has Bluetooth I think it should be declared by the maker and dealer that only some phones are compatible. It appears odd that a purchaser needs to do some research, following a connection failure, to find out whether the system is going to work in their individual instance.

I will be speaking with the dealer about it and take some consumer advice about it also, as it appears to be tantamount to mis-selling on someone's part.

Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've checked compatibility again. It seems my phone is supported but with an older software bundle. I'll try going back to a previous software with my Blackberry Torch 9810 and see if it works. I can't understand why the phone didn't appear on the list I checked with Kia previously. Anyhow, fingers crossed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts