Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I might try and play a little music in my car, so paired my Sony XZ1 via Bluetooth. It connects OK but despite there being MP3 audio files in the correct location on the XZ1, the Kia cannot find a single track.

I'm wondering if the problem lies with the phone or the car. Or both. Can anyone advise?

(Car is 2020 GT-Line if it makes a difference)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Won't you need a cable connection for playing mp3's direct? Someone may correct me but I thought b/tooth can stream audio playing but not act as a storage drive.

To add.... My xz3 streams via b/tooth and sees mp3's when I plug in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that's what I'm trying to do, just stream the MP3s via Bluetooth. I don't want to store them. When I try, the Kia display says 'Streaming' and then, finding nothing, says 'Paused'. Re-scanning provides a repeat of this. The MP3 are on the XZ1 in the Audio folder, and I've confirmed they play OK from the phone.

·
Registered
985 Posts
What I meant by storage is that with my Sony, I need a cable to access the mp3 files for my head unit to play them.
Using an app on the phone to play the files allows me to stream via bt, using the cars controls to navigate tracks etc.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Have you tried changing the name of a track to a very simple short title, just to test?
Both with and without .Mp3 suffix.
Using a folder both on the phone's memory, and the phone's SDCard to see if one of them works.
Can you connect to that car via BT with another phone to play music?

Does that particular phone play on another car?
Can you use the telephone functions on that car via BT?
I have a real mix of mp3 formats and file naming in my collection, I have not noticed any not playing, tho I've never paired with a picanto.

I guess when you pair, you do allow the car full access to your phone.
If not, delete the phone from the car and the car from the phone and pair once more accepting all accesses they request.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some of the tracks do have short names, but none show up. I'll try in a different folder. I don't have another car (with Bluetooth) or another phone to test, I'm afraid. I'll mess about with it a bit more later but if it doesn't work I'll just leave it. Thanks.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Sorry, I'm not particularly up with mobile tech. So if you need a cable... what's the Bluetooth for?
Bluetooth allows you to stream audio, Mp3's are data until something is actually playing them. If I want to use Bluetooth on my Sony, the mp3's have to be playing on the phone via a music player app. If I want the head unit to play the mp3 files, I can't use Bluetooth, it has to be a cable connection.

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
If I am reading this thread correctly the music files are stored on the phone? Is that correct? If so that is not streaming and you need to treat the phone as if it is a USB storage device and connect it to the car using a USB data cable. The Bluetooth does work if you are streaming, but you need to have your music on something like YouTube Music or use streaming service like Spotify.
The only exception is possibly if you have your music playing on your phone before you connect with the Bluetooth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, so I played the music using the default App on my phone and the Kia detects this, brings up the name of the track, says 'streaming'... and there is no audio. I think I'll call it a day. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
OK, so I played the music using the default App on my phone and the Kia detects this, brings up the name of the track, says 'streaming'... and there is no audio. I think I'll call it a day. Thanks for the suggestions.
I didn't expect that to work. I think you need to start your music and connect to the Bluetooth, once the car show the music is playing turn the sound on your phone up. If you reach the max on your phone then start turning it up on the car but, if you have steering wheel controls, you must use the rotary switch on the media system. That acts as a Bluetooth volume control when playing music through the Bluetooth. If that doesn't work I am out of idea's.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Yes, you are correct about the volume Mr. Mcspot. The phone needs to be on max vol, and the music player app on max vol.
Even above safe hearing level, if you happen to get a prompt for that.
Then use the cars vol. Control to regulate the vol. Which can be a bit weak compared to a USB stick.

You may be almost there wagstaff,... could just be a small volume adjustment away from success.

·
Super Moderator
3,814 Posts
This is why I much prefer my music via the USB, either a memory stick or, as in my case, a media player (iPod/FiiO). My preferred method as an old iPod Classic, which I always think is on it's last legs, but somehow it's still playing. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, you don't get album art playing through Bluetooth, which you do with the USB (if you have formatted the files correctly).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.