Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Bluetooth Battery Monitor as I wanted to keep an eye on my battery levels as I have only been doing short journeys, was going to buy the CTek model but found a cheaper one that does the same thing on Amazon and was just under £19 (Ctek one is £46).

Only used it for a day, but it shows my state of charge is low, it also shows the charging rate when the car is running, also tested the cranking voltage (which was low) and did a test of the charging system which was OK. The only driving I am doing at the moment is to the gym which is approx 3.5 miles away (about 10 min drive).

On my way back this morning took some screenshots of the app (easy 5 minute fit, just connect to + and - terminals of the battery).

What do you think, is it a useful tool - not too expensive either

Item

Easy fitting

State of battery before starting car (Low)

Charging when engine running (went up to 14.54v when lights and heating turned off)

After short drive home still shows low but did put some charge into the battery

Showing low cranking voltage

Tested charging system which was OK.

It is early days but app send warnings of low power etc so hopefully I will be able to do something before battery gets too low to start the car (like it did when gyms etc were shut) and I wasn't driving the car and for just under £19 not a bad investment I think.......

Cheers

Phil

Reactions: Fireballsevenn

·
Registered
22 Posts
A really cool looking gadget and reasonal price. Just have to work out what you have to do to get stop start working.
I think that's a question no one knows the answer to!!
trickle charge maybe?

looks like a good product, just wondering if you get a charger e.g. the ctek battery charger, wouldnt that show you the state of charge as well ad allowing you to charge the battery?
if the above product says your battery is low then you'll end up buying a charger anyway?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
if the above product says your battery is low then you'll end up buying a charger anyway?
Presuming that the OP can park off-road overnight, I would have thought that attaching a charger, even if just occasionally at this time of year, would keep the battery in good health.

As you have stated, if the 'gadget' should produce poor readings, I guess he would be putting the battery on charge anyway which rather renders the monitor pointless. In any event, it only takes a moment to connect a multi-meter to check the battery state and the alternator output.

Somewhere, among my bits and bobs, I have a battery health monitor with two leads and a series of coloured LEDS which illuminate to display the level of charge. I think it cost me £1.99 or perhaps £2.99 several years ago and I used it once to see if it worked. However, if I want information about battery health or charging output, my multimeter is the go-to tool of choice.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a CTek MXS 7.0 charger which I have just attached to the car to charge the battery as the Battery Monitor was indicating that the voltage was very low. It is now charging and giving me the status of the charge from the comfort of the house. :coffee:

Granted, you could use a Multimeter as you say but this being connected to the battery and giving me updates on the health of the battery from my phone indoors is ideal for me as being disabled it is a lot easier. This (Especially at this time when I am not using the car very much) makes my life a lot easier, In an ideal world I would remember to charge the battery every so often at this time of year, but as things take me a lot longer to do now, I don't always do it when I should. For me this is an ideal solution and it helps in my circumstances, and for the price I thought it was worth while. In a few years it might even be £2.99 who knows ;)

Reactions: dunc69

·
Registered
22 Posts
where do you connect the CTEK charger?
had my car charged by the dealer today (went for some other reason and asked them to charge it also), I asked them about charging at home and they insisted I connect direct to the battery rather than the connection points at the front. every time I asked why they just said "we dont reccomend charging via the front" so didnt get much info there.

Front just seems more convinient as I dont know if you can close the boot with wires coming out? which way do you do it?

·
Banned
5,227 Posts
Do what the dealer says, connect the charger directly to the battery. From context I infer that the battery is in the boot? Presume you are concerned because you have no garage?

What are these connection points at the front anyway?

There is probably enough give in the boot lid seals to allow a mains cable to pass - or just close it nearly shut.

·
Registered
215 Posts
or through a door window, you can buy 4mm channel/glazing rubber that you can slip onto the top of the glass leaving a small gap for the cable, you can then wind the window back up to prevent water ingress. Long term look where you can mount a "Hella" 12v socket maybe in the front grill, I hve them on my motorcycles and Land Rover.

·
Registered
Kia Stinger 2020 Ember Orange
78 Posts
I have a CTek MXS 7.0 charger which I have just attached to the car to charge the battery as the Battery Monitor was indicating that the voltage was very low. It is now charging and giving me the status of the charge from the comfort of the house. :coffee:

Granted, you could use a Multimeter as you say but this being connected to the battery and giving me updates on the health of the battery from my phone indoors is ideal for me as being disabled it is a lot easier. This (Especially at this time when I am not using the car very much) makes my life a lot easier, In an ideal world I would remember to charge the battery every so often at this time of year, but as things take me a lot longer to do now, I don't always do it when I should. For me this is an ideal solution and it helps in my circumstances, and for the price I thought it was worth while. In a few years it might even be £2.99 who knows ;)
Hi, did you come up with a neat and easy solution to plugging in a trickle charger? I have an oldish Jag XK in my garage on which the previous owner rigged up a handy thin cable from the battery into the cabin and as it's kept in the garage I leave the window cracked open a couple of mm and dangle it outside the car to plug into a ctek type charger. But for outdoor use would ideally like something more weatherproof. I was lucky enough to have a Bentley a few years ago which came fitted with a very neat magnetic connection near the rear no plate. Something like that would be ideal

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,
The easiest solution that I have found (I have a driveway which makes it easier) is to park nose in to the house, connect CTek charger to the outdoor waterproof socket, open the bonnet than place the charger inside the engine bay and connect to the battery terminal and earth point start the charge and close the bonnet so that it catches the locking catch but is still open enough for the cable to go into the bonnet.

The battery is only trickle charged and is designed for sealed AGM batteries, this causes no damage to the car or charging circuits etc.

The only warning in the handbook is - For charging your AGM battery, use only fully automatic battery chargers that are specially developed for AGM batteries.

Technically if it is NOT an AGM battery the battery needs to be removed from the vehicle to be charged due to not being sealed (I suppose the same should be applied to AGM batteries as well).

Don't forget this is not a regular thing, only doing this as the car is not being driven enough at the moment.

This has not caused any damage to the car or the battery.

Reactions: steveheath

·
Banned
5,227 Posts
There is no need to remove or even disconnect any type of automotive battery in order to trickle charge it. Flooded cell and AGM batteries have slightly different charging characteristics so for long term trickling (say more than 6 hours) it is important to use the correct charger (many have settings to allow choice) For short term charging either will work fine but an ordinary charger will not fully charge an AGM battery - it will charge enought to start the car.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I fit Hella din plugs and sockets to all my motorcycles and cars for the trickle chargers and makes a handy power outlet too, lot smaller than a cig lighter socket and a better connection. you can buy std or waterproof ones.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought a Bluetooth Battery Monitor as I wanted to keep an eye on my battery levels as I have only been doing short journeys, was going to buy the CTek model but found a cheaper one that does the same thing on Amazon and was just under £19 (Ctek one is £46).

Only used it for a day, but it shows my state of charge is low, it also shows the charging rate when the car is running, also tested the cranking voltage (which was low) and did a test of the charging system which was OK. The only driving I am doing at the moment is to the gym which is approx 3.5 miles away (about 10 min drive).

On my way back this morning took some screenshots of the app (easy 5 minute fit, just connect to + and - terminals of the battery).

Item
View attachment 8653

Easy fitting
View attachment 8654

View attachment 8655

Charging when engine running (went up to 14.54v when lights and heating turned off)
View attachment 8656

View attachment 8657

View attachment 8658

View attachment 8659

It is early days but app send warnings of low power etc so hopefully I will be able to do something before battery gets too low to start the car (like it did when gyms etc were shut) and I wasn't driving the car and for just under £19 not a bad investment I think.......

Cheers

Phil

Item
View attachment 8653

Easy fitting
View attachment 8654

View attachment 8655

View attachment 8656

View attachment 8657

View attachment 8658

View attachment 8659

Cheers

Phil
Great recommendation. I got one even before I collected the car and just fitted it as, having been an ex-demo car for 4 months and hardly been used, I figured the battery might net be in great shape as well as for my general use as I am a great believer in trickle charging. This device works a treat. So well that you have to wonder why car manufacturers don't add this type of software to the menus so we can all easily see where we're at.
One small question though: each time I connect to my phone it asks for a PIN but I can't find any PIN info anywhere in the instructions. It doesn't seem to matter as it instantly connects one I open the App but is there meant to be a PIN? I didn't check on the device itself as It's now under the spare wheel and boot floor and assumed it would be in the leaflet but no

·
Registered
2019 Stinger GTS Panthera Metal
54 Posts
Just a note regarding low battery warnings. I have a Blackvue dashcam in my Stinger connected to an OBD2 power adaptor. This adaptor is switchable allowing the device to stay on for several hours/days after the engine is turned off, until the battery falls to a set voltage.

I did set this initially and when I turned the car on after a weekend of inactivity, the car started fine but displayed a low voltage warning saying something like “check accessory drain".

Since then I haven't used that mode except when parked out and about for an hour or two at lost.

But it showed me that the Stinger does have a low voltage warning when you start the car and for me, it means I won't need a Bluetooth battery monitor.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just a note regarding low battery warnings. I have a Blackvue dashcam in my Stinger connected to an OBD2 power adaptor. This adaptor is switchable allowing the device to stay on for several hours/days after the engine is turned off, until the battery falls to a set voltage.

I did set this initially and when I turned the car on after a weekend of inactivity, the car started fine but displayed a low voltage warning saying something like “check accessory drain".

Since then I haven't used that mode except when parked out and about for an hour or two at lost.

But it showed me that the Stinger does have a low voltage warning when you start the car and for me, it means I won't need a Bluetooth battery monitor.
Ok that's interesting although I think I prefer the idea of being to monitor it more detail with this cheap device/App. It's so good I will probably get one for my 'fun' convertible in the garage that lives on a trickle charger normally. But nice to know that KIA have some sort of failsafe designed in

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.