Kia Owners Club Forum banner
241 - 260 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi JimKia. Have you made any progress with soundproofing? Might be worthy of listing a separate section so we can follow.
Hello Greybeard2, yeah I know, I should and will in the near future.

Sorry, started and been starting and stopping several times already due to problems related to car and family at the side that come in the way of solid progress. As far as family goes gone through a period with my brother after a 11 meter falling accident at work, which you can imagine had him hospitalized for some time.
Other than that car's been at workshop too so nervous about them noticing hehe, they can be difficult here looking for excuses.

So not fully done yet but have done the floor to where backseat start, also a big problem is the area from pedals up to windshield, firewall to engine bay cause suspect all crash structure and panel need to be disassembled to reach that area and just too much work unless I can find time to do it over a few days and able to leave my car in a warm garage. Heck even working around all electric and mechanical parts running through will time consuming all by itself but needed if I want to eliminate most road noise from front tires but also brake noise, yes that bug me a bit. Ohh doors also done.

Drives some other cars lately and you can truly see how quiet they can be, with that being said the flat part of floor alone did make a difference, not where I want it to be but also get used to it and find new sources of noise all the time I suppose. The plastic wheel arch liner/mud guards may be a problem too cause towards the front that area is open into engine bay in some places.

Upgraded the speakers and hooked up a DSP/amplifier and a 10" flat woofer under drivers seat too, distract a bit from noise I suppose haha. I envy those of you who live i warmer, dry climates cause here it is minus 15 Celsius and rubber floor mat is a must, or ice will melt, go down into floor and stay moist, also problematic for ice on the inside of the windows each morning.

So yeah a bit to solve, but will take the time to do something up here not too long from now I hope.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks JimKia for update.
Sorry to hear about family accident.
Did doing doors make much difference?
I was thinking about insulating under the bonnet, and the floor of boot, as these being easier bits to start with sound deadening. Hatchbacks can have considerable noise from boot area and there is only a thin cover over the unlined steel.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks, appreciate.

Well, not as much difference as I wanted it to make but some yes.

The boot is really hard to say for me since I have yet to go there, only vertical wall up to back seat but yes I suppose that is correct and can make a difference. I find it very hard to pinpoint with this specific model and I belive now after a lot of consideration and trying different things, as well as talking to the pro's who do these things for a living here to get their ideas about Picanto JA.

Conclusion is the car is likely leakign a bit everywhere, sadly. Thin sheet metal, almost nothing done in terms of anti vibration and noise proofing from factory, heck even thin glass. Still after all I have done and listening to those who do this for a living the most improvement will surely come from the floor at the front, and up to windshield so the worst area of them all to reach since the floor mat there is not the same as rest of the floor, it is a 2 piece in this car with overlap around the pedals.

But little here and there will ad up to, take this with a pinch of salt cause does not sound like it but I cut 13dB so far, that is a LOT! Does not sound like that much but it is in the lower frequencies and the anti vibration layer is a big part of that I htink. ? It is by Android app not a proper meter so 2 pinches of salt perhaps, again the doors will do a little bit but they also help a lot with other things, true I have upgraded audio in mine but ohh boy did it help the mid base and lower frequencies to shine. Night and day, 1 layer 2mm thick anti vibration (Butyl rubber) + 1 layer 4mm thick sound dampening, had sound absorber too but tore it off after keepign the water like a sponge instead of letting it out the bottom of the door through the small holes there.

Knocking on the doors from outside now feels premium instead of cheapo haha, closing doors make a different sound all together and it all adds up to how I feel using the car imho.
Once you ad sound dampening on top of Butyl rubber mats you cannot add more anti vibrating Butyl rubber sheets, my biggets regret that I did not do 2 layers of the first one, thicker cause it will add up. I was afraid I may run into trouble getting original floor mat on again, don't worry about that just add on it will fit. Also I wish I went for 10mm thick Biplast dampening layer on top of 4 or even 6mm thick anti vibration layer, sounds extreme but it is not imho, then again I am sensitive that way so?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Great information JimKIA.
Even allowing for just using an Android sound App, those numbers if only half are impressive, and as you suggest may be frequency dependent. Good point not to use foam in doors for moisture.
Thanks for posting your methods and comments.

Admin- Please consider moving this soundproofing information to a new thread for others to contribute to.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Glad it can help, I will get my thumb out as some point and sum it up with a few pictures, feel bad it's done already but soon as I can for sure. Even if not dune yet and might not be for some time, removing everything behind and under steering wheel is not something I want to think about, will take final decision once the spring come I suspect cause going back and forward in that regards day to day haha.

When summer tires come on again I know for sure, atm I run studded so hard to say.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!!!! I'm a proud owner of a 2018 kia picanto GT Line 1.0T and back in the day when I bough the car I knew that VC Power did a Power On Box with a tune. I couldn't afford it back then so I decided to wait. Now, I can't get to their website (I think is down for some reason) and I saw this company Bluespark making these tunes.... Can anyone give me some feedback on this product? Does it really work? Is it realiable, any issues? What is the difference bettween this and the Power On Box? Is it possible to install it without removing any body panels?

And finally one last big question..... With this tune does it really make the car feel different? Is it a big improvement? What I'm trying to say/ask is -> Is it worth it? Can a person feel the difference while driving or should I spend the money on set of lowering springs to improve the handeling since addding more power won't do much?

Thank you all for the help!!!!
Love this community!

(BTW I'm from Portugal and I closely follow the races with the picantos here in Portugal! Go check my instagram: clubkiapicanto)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
I've done over 2000 miles, using the highest setting. The performance is very noticeable! It feels like a different car.
Installing is easy, just remove the plastic screws that hold the top of the bumper together, then open the gap enough to fit your hand in.
Very reliable, no problems, and that's including lots snow and rain.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi!!!! I'm a proud owner of a 2018 kia picanto GT Line 1.0T and back in the day when I bough the car I knew that VC Power did a Power On Box with a tune. I couldn't afford it back then so I decided to wait. Now, I can't get to their website (I think is down for some reason) and I saw this company Bluespark making these tunes.... Can anyone give me some feedback on this product? Does it really work? Is it realiable, any issues? What is the difference bettween this and the Power On Box? Is it possible to install it without removing any body panels?

And finally one last big question..... With this tune does it really make the car feel different? Is it a big improvement? What I'm trying to say/ask is -> Is it worth it? Can a person feel the difference while driving or should I spend the money on set of lowering springs to improve the handeling since addding more power won't do much?

Thank you all for the help!!!!
Love this community!

(BTW I'm from Portugal and I closely follow the races with the picantos here in Portugal! Go check my instagram: clubkiapicanto)
I have the Power On BOX and the last year VC Power were only on Facebook and now that is gone. About the same time I started getting Swiftec emails, maybe look them up as they are Portugal. Is the GT Picanto cup still a thing in Portugal?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the MY21 version and unfortunately the connectors required for Bluespark unit are different.
I also suspect engine and its ECU have some changes, and even inlet manifold has changed. Bluespark are aware of the changes, as I have been in contact with Edd and Gary.
I am in Australia, so they really need a local car to tune, if any local MY21 owners in UK are interested in this great mod.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks guys, appreciate the info.

Yeah sounds like sweet music to my ears, more is better hehe, E coming up some 200km to go then I flip the setting. 😃

Understand about the low mileage on my car so far, actually had those thoughts too, did throttle hard a few times sure, but did not torture clutch as hard and neither the brakes so was just surprised when nothing, nothing, nothing and then suddenly like driving past a burning building. So had me worried for a sec, great to hear you experienced same or similar things.

The notice I heard today again, if fact I hear it every time I shut the car off, for some seconds and then it goes away. It is def electrical in nature, like a combination between a tone, beep and GPU coil whine on steroids. Now that I know of it I can surely hear it each time, but if unaware I might have missed it before? I cannot tell if there before the box or if coming after and that is a bit irritating, although hard to imagine I have missed it all this time before box montage?

If it is a new noise I would not like it to be honest, but if always there then I would worry less I suppose but if no one else notice this I might have to try bypass plug later and see if any difference? I don't think it come from the box itself though, but since I also am using battery handle as mounting point it is very close to the ECU itself and the area it is coming from.
A bit high pitched very much like that of power regulating circuitry can give off, I suppose could also be a on PCB beeper fed very low voltage so just on the borderline of starting up, feed more power and the signal get cleaner but again I am speculating wildly here have not dialed it it down and even if it in the end turn out to be nothing to worry about, still would be nice to have to it explained either way? Hopefully time will tell, or better yet go away haha..

A assume you beeh using the box for a longer period with no trouble?
I can hear the same noise from my 2020 Picanto GT, mostly notice it when I come home from work in the early hours of the morning when there are no other noises. Not sure what it is, I haven't done any mods to the car so this is a standard noise.

James

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just to get back to topic of Bluespark, the MY21 has very different sensor connectors to previous GT's.
I am sure Edd at would be keen to find a client locally, with the latest configuration, to work his magic and to develop new version. Any enthusiasts nearby?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
Took the Bluespark kit off the car before selling it to WBAC. What a difference! I forgot just how much quicker the kit made the car. So much that I won't buy the new Picanto until there's a Bluespark kit for it.
Just need to sell the kit now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just fitted the bluespark box to my MY19 picanto GT. All I can say is wow its a little pocket rocket now I also have a throttle controller fitted and bang it really sharpens up the response no turbo lag just puts you back in the seat. Just getting to the boost sensor is a bitch. The cars off to get a cat back from the turbo 2 inch exhaust next week they are taking of the second catalytic converter to improve flow hopefully it will improve the top end.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I just fitted the bluespark box to my MY19 picanto GT. All I can say is wow its a little pocket rocket now I also have a throttle controller fitted and bang it really sharpens up the response no turbo lag just puts you back in the seat. Just getting to the boost sensor is a bitch. The cars off to get a cat back from the turbo 2 inch exhaust next week they are taking of the second catalytic converter to improve flow hopefully it will improve the top end.
Are you going to get it dyno'd after the work?

241 - 260 of 290 Posts