Kia Owners Club Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,418 Posts
Please do you have any more info on the details of those modifications, suppliers etc., or a link please? I've been looking for info on these Platinum Cup cars but not found anything useful. Understand much of it is probably only relevant to competition cars but still of interest.
The first modification to any car intended for racing is to the suspension, then brakes, then engine. No good having a quick car if can't go round corners or slow down for them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just moved up to Map E.
At low RPM car actually feels better than on map D (seems more torque low down, just as there was when running on map C).The rest up to top end is super smooth and nippy.
This Bluespark unit is a great upgrade and makes an already fun can feel fantastic. The graphs are only part of the story, the real driving experience is excellent!

·
Registered
129 Posts
The new engine has quite a few modifications, including running both direct and indirect injection. The indirect injection will help to prevent all the stuff in the jar in the above picture from settling in the ports and on the backs of the valves. Principally its there for emissions reasons, NOx and PM are lower (especially in certain situations) using indirect injection.

I haven't pulled the two engines apart to compare, but looking at the data, the new car makes more power in the higher RPM at the same boost level. It would appear that as part of the changes Kia have made the engine breathe a little better at higher RPM. Introducing indirect injection will probably have reduced swirl requirements, meaning they can (potentially) have straighter ports, bigger valves and/or a slightly hotter cam profile. Its not going to be major changes, but there's definitely an appreciable difference.
Thanks @[email protected] ... I do wonder if there is anything that could be retro-fitted to the older engine to make it breath a little better at higher RPM and keep emissions :cool:

·
Registered
616 Posts
The inlet box/plenum is certainly different on later engine. Still just direct injection.
The AU Rio is dual injection. It seems to be comparable with my GT but will often Ping (my words as more like a metal sound that looks to decrease power until lower gear gets selected on DCT) on occasion even running on Premium. Something I find interesting on a Factory car and tune.

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,418 Posts
The AU Rio is dual injection. It seems to be comparable with my GT but will often Ping (my words as more like a metal sound that looks to decrease power until lower gear gets selected on DCT) on occasion even running on Premium. Something I find interesting on a Factory car and tune.
'Pinking' is a phenomenon well known to pre electronic ignition mechanics. Ignition timing should be a few degrees before TDC but for lots of reasons it can be earlier than that. The 'pinking' noise is actually caused by the piston crowns vibrating like a drum skin as they are forced by the crankshaft to push against the expanding and prematurely ignited petrol/air mixture. Long term pinking can result in shards of metal being ejected from the underneath of the piston crown eventually leading to the failure of the crown itself.
Glad to know my 1970's mechanic training was not wasted... :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
'Pinking' is a phenomenon well known to pre electronic ignition mechanics. Ignition timing should be a few degrees before TDC but for lots of reasons it can be earlier than that. The 'pinking' noise is actually caused by the piston crowns vibrating like a drum skin as they are forced by the crankshaft to push against the expanding and prematurely ignited petrol/air mixture. Long term pinking can result in shards of metal being ejected from the underneath of the piston crown eventually leading to the failure of the crown itself.
Glad to know my 1970's mechanic training was not wasted... :)
Except physically sounds nothing like this in a new car!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Some fuel economy feedback-
I do about monthly run to a sporting activity in the country and have taken readings before and after installing Bluespark tuning box.
I am now running on setting D and enjoying the car greatly with it's improved torque and easy improved daily driveablity.

Pre Bluespark run - 87.6 km, car computer claiming 5.2 l/100km and round trip duration 1hour 27 minutes.
With Bluespark run - 87.5 km, car computer claiming 5.1 l/100km and round trip duration 1hour 24 minutes.
Did the same run exactly today, but now on Bluespark Map E- 87.7 km, car computer claiming 4.9 l/100km and round trip duration 1hour 23 minutes.
Our weather in Australia has cooled now, and this might be a contributing factor, but this certainly confirms a significant improvement, whilst at same time, improving performance. This little car is so much fun now!

61 - 73 of 73 Posts