Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Order placed for Picanto tuning box.
Thanks Edd for this new configuration, over the previously problematic boost connection.
The dyno results are impressive to say the least.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Whilst most insurers in Australia will allow you to insure a modification (by telling them specifically about it and paying extra if required), the vehicle still has to be road registerable. And that is where it falls down in Australia because of that 20% rule in terms of being to be legally registered.
Rules vary considerably from state to state here in Australia, but either way this is easily solved, if anyone is concerned.
Just use setting C or D on the Bluespark unit and you will be under 20% horse power increase, but you can still enjoy the very significant boost on low RPM torque. Unit has 5 stages of adjustment.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Bluespark Tuning Box now installed.. Still running it on the factory "C" setting and must say, I am impressed with the overall feel of the car.

It seemed to take about 100 Km to settle in, which surprised me initially. Might simply be the ECU had to also adapt to the switch from 91 RON up to 98 RON fuel. The car performs well and is heaps more usable at even lower RPM than before. Previously 70 KPH was minimum speed for 5th gear, now more like 60 KPH is manageable. Nothing is brutal about the tune, it just achieves good results across the entire rev range and is smooth and quicker overall.

Fuel economy in city driving seems still excellent, possibly due to the increased torque and use of lower revs. Fuel economy is noticeable better on really short trips, where consumption was previously surprisingly high, (just for first few Km, till motor warmed up).

Took me about an hour to install, as I took some time to find a way to feed boost cable with it two plugs down to lower connector. Eventually I used a poly tube to find clear route and then taped boost cable to that, and it pulled down and through. Second time round I am sure it will be easier.

I look forward to trying settings "D" and "E" in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Now moved up to Map "D" . Low down similar to "C" but much improved mid throttle response. Map "C" might even be be a bit better at really low RPM. "D" seems to lift mid range and really picks up at 3000RPM. Think dyno curves really probably only shows full throttle figures, but the more typical driving situation, the mid throttle improvement is really nice.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Some fuel economy feedback-
I do about monthly run to a sporting activity in the country and have taken readings before and after installing Bluespark tuning box.
I am now running on setting D and enjoying the car greatly with it's improved torque and easy improved daily driveablity.

Pre Bluespark run - 87.6 km, car computer claiming 5.2 l/100km and round trip duration 1hour 27 minutes.
With Bluespark run - 87.5 km, car computer claiming 5.1 l/100km and round trip duration 1hour 24 minutes.

Summary the difference on fuel consumption was very marginally better. Certainly best to simply say no deterioration in consumption, whilst enjoying a much more willing drive, so a very good and positive outcome overall.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just moved up to Map E.
At low RPM car actually feels better than on map D (seems more torque low down, just as there was when running on map C).The rest up to top end is super smooth and nippy.
This Bluespark unit is a great upgrade and makes an already fun can feel fantastic. The graphs are only part of the story, the real driving experience is excellent!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Some fuel economy feedback-
I do about monthly run to a sporting activity in the country and have taken readings before and after installing Bluespark tuning box.
I am now running on setting D and enjoying the car greatly with it's improved torque and easy improved daily driveablity.

Pre Bluespark run - 87.6 km, car computer claiming 5.2 l/100km and round trip duration 1hour 27 minutes.
With Bluespark run - 87.5 km, car computer claiming 5.1 l/100km and round trip duration 1hour 24 minutes.
Did the same run exactly today, but now on Bluespark Map E- 87.7 km, car computer claiming 4.9 l/100km and round trip duration 1hour 23 minutes.
Our weather in Australia has cooled now, and this might be a contributing factor, but this certainly confirms a significant improvement, whilst at same time, improving performance. This little car is so much fun now!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts