Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Edd,

I am curious about one thing. Do these Kia / Hyundai engines you work with adapt to the fuel octane they use? For example, they are all meant to run on (I think) either 91 or 95 octane here in Australia but I am curious if they advance the timing if they detect a higher octane fuel such as 98 (even without your re-maps).
I never noticed any improvement in range by using 98 over 95 but can sometimes get a spark retard in certain conditions if i don't use 98. This is with power box fitted on highest setting!

·
Registered
616 Posts
To get that kind of increase on a N/A engine with only simple mods is going to need some serious ignition advance and that will require some special fuel to prevent the engine turning into a grenade.
Nothing special at all for 12kW, It is the same basic formula we have been using for years, Air, spark, fuel and exhaust. If you improve or modify those on any engine then you get a power increase. I have an Australian car that went from 220kW to 220 rwkW through just induction, exhaust and map modification. Car is still going strong a after modification and now has 199K on he clock!

·
Registered
616 Posts
The inlet box/plenum is certainly different on later engine. Still just direct injection.
The AU Rio is dual injection. It seems to be comparable with my GT but will often Ping (my words as more like a metal sound that looks to decrease power until lower gear gets selected on DCT) on occasion even running on Premium. Something I find interesting on a Factory car and tune.

·
Registered
616 Posts
'Pinking' is a phenomenon well known to pre electronic ignition mechanics. Ignition timing should be a few degrees before TDC but for lots of reasons it can be earlier than that. The 'pinking' noise is actually caused by the piston crowns vibrating like a drum skin as they are forced by the crankshaft to push against the expanding and prematurely ignited petrol/air mixture. Long term pinking can result in shards of metal being ejected from the underneath of the piston crown eventually leading to the failure of the crown itself.
Glad to know my 1970's mechanic training was not wasted... :)
Except physically sounds nothing like this in a new car!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts