Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
In instances where we are modfiying the fuel pressure (not actually the case in this instance), I am 100% sure that the fuel pressure value reported back to the ECU is changed. Its fundamentally how the device works.

I understand where you are coming from. I also understand that tuning your car isn't for everyone, just like any hobby or interest really.
Any idea what makes the new engine 15BHP higher on your box then the old one?

Kinda a bit jealous :<

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just for Australians, without wanting to throw a further spanner in the works, technically (from a roadworthy inspection perspective) you can't increase the power of a stock vehicle by more than 20% without requiring an engineering certification from a qualified certifier. I'm just the messenger but back when I had a Polo in 2012 I never went ahead with a third party tune as it exceeded the limit. But there was one tuner aware of the limitations and I recall they deliberately increased the power by 19% but gave you a very nice fat midrange.

Perhaps this is something tuning providers could bear in mind. There is no rule about torque increases - just power increases ;) Nothing top stop you having a tuning option that gives you a nice torque increase in the low to midrange but then tapers it off so as to not add more than 19% additional maximum power output.

And yes, I know it is a stupid rule but on the other hand I guess you have to draw a line in the sand somewhere. You only have to compare a turbo car on a stinking hot and dry day in the middle of summer at altitude with one in very cold humid weather near sea level and you already have a substantial variation.

I am only mentioning this as it has nothing whatsoever to do with warranties but could potentially be an insurance snag because insurers require that your car is technically able to pass a roadworthy.

Other countries would have other laws so I only know the situation in Australia. In the case of the Picanto GT, that effectively limits any modification to producing around 90 Kw or 120 hp maximum.
In the UK, this is what I did, not sure it helps you in Aus ...no restriction as long as you insure for it here.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
129 Posts
The new engine has quite a few modifications, including running both direct and indirect injection. The indirect injection will help to prevent all the stuff in the jar in the above picture from settling in the ports and on the backs of the valves. Principally its there for emissions reasons, NOx and PM are lower (especially in certain situations) using indirect injection.

I haven't pulled the two engines apart to compare, but looking at the data, the new car makes more power in the higher RPM at the same boost level. It would appear that as part of the changes Kia have made the engine breathe a little better at higher RPM. Introducing indirect injection will probably have reduced swirl requirements, meaning they can (potentially) have straighter ports, bigger valves and/or a slightly hotter cam profile. Its not going to be major changes, but there's definitely an appreciable difference.
Thanks @[email protected] ... I do wonder if there is anything that could be retro-fitted to the older engine to make it breath a little better at higher RPM and keep emissions :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts