Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car into the kia dealer garage yesterday because it was chucking out alot of blue smoke on cold start up and also my streeing wheel hanging to the right eventhough the car was driving straight. Got the car back and it needs new heater plugs and a o/s/f ball joint!
What could cause thses problems? It's only 2 years old

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Have you had the car from new? The ball joint may have been damaged before you owned the car other wise it must be wear and potholed roads. Glow plugs usually last years, must be from a bad batch.

Its still under warranty so why worry.

Paul

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car is still under warrenty and I'm not worried, it's just I wouldn't expect it on a 2 year old car. Never mind still happy with my Kia.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hi Kiariocrdi,

Pulling to the left seems to be a common problem for a lot of Kias from new. It seems as if they are not aligned properly when they are sold. Generally, a careful 4 wheel alignment sorts the problem out.

In your case it could be that it was driven by its previous owner for a long time with the wheels badly out of balance...this could have damaged the ball joints. How many miles have you got on the clock?

I don't like the blue smoke on start up. Sounds like oil getting in the cylinders. Yes, the extra heat fromnew glow plugs will help it start, but it doesn't solve the problem. If the glow plugs are faulty, you should see lots of grey/black smoke on starting. Blue smoke is a sign of very small particles in the exhaust from the burning of oil in the engine. How is your oil consumption?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi M4trundler,The smoke was of the grey/black colour. I've had my car from new, when I got my car the steering was pulling to the left had it sorted and was ok. Had my tracking checked a few months ago when I had new front tyres put on they did the tracking on the 2008 model settings because they didn't have the 2009 ones. Since I've had my plugs changed which where done only last Thursday I'm getting a smell of burnt diesel entering the cabin when stationary, took it back to the garage straight away and they smelt the smell and just said it was because they hadaccidentallyspilt some diesel on the exhaust and that it was just burning off and also that the new parts where burning off the excess oils which are used during manufacturing. They said give it a couple of days and the smell should go away. Well thats not true I'm still getting the smell! Any ideas as to what the cause could be and also if one ball joint is badly warn should both ball joints not be replaced?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Which dealer have you been going to? Sounds like it might be an idea to find an alternative. You may have a fuel leak. On my old car the rubber hoses on the injectors taking excess fuel back to the tank used to perish and start leaking - i don't know if they use the same system on the Rio. It could also be something wasn't done up properly when the plugs were changed.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Second the one about finding a different dealer, there are good ones out there but as with all manufacturers there are bad ones and it is those that we generally hear about.

Eau de Diesel does have a habit of lingering when engine work has been carried out, mechanics get it on their hands and boots etc and transfer it intothe car and from personal experience can take several weeks to clear. Burnt diesel is a different matter but a little can go a long way, they should have cleaned it properly before releasing the car. Cannot see how 4 small glow plugs could create much of a smell, not like a new exhaust would for instance.

Unfortunately for you it may be difficult to get another garage to correct the first ones mistakes even though it was warranty work, doubt if Kia would pay another garage to sort the mistakes.

With regards to the tracking this proves what a load of numpties they are at your garage, this type of information is available to the dealers in technical updates when specs change and since yours changed 2 years ago the infowould certainly be available. The incorrect settings need correcting ASAP, Kia modified them for a reason.

Paul

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been using Benfield Kia on Railway Street Newcastle upon tyne. I think the problem with that garage is that they just don't service kia's they also do service for Fiat and Skoda's. I'll ring the garage today and take it then suggest they check the return pipes from the injectors. I was talking to a mechanic at my work and thinks that it will be the return lines from the injectors possibly have been cracked when they have been replacing the plugs or the pipes have become porus. Apperantly Vauxhall's had this problem alot.
Does anyone know of a good kia garage in the North East?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
There's SG Petch up there, but I've never been to them. Might be an idea to put a post in the "General Message" part of the forum so non-Rio drivers see it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok thanks I'll do that.Took the car back to the garage and the machanic who did the job came out and explained to him what was happening. He came out took the engine cover off had a look at the injectors and then concentrated his attention around where the turbo is. I wasn't quite sure as to what he said but it sounded like it was either the injectors haven't sealed properly or it was the heater plugs which hadn't sealed properly! He took it down to the work shop and about 15-20 mins later I got the car back and all seams fine now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts