Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they are not big in this country. But as winters are getting longer and colder and i intend keeping my car a while, wonder if one of these would be a good idea. Reduced fuel consumption, less engine wear, instant heat on a cold start, quicker deicing etc. Anybody in the UK got experience of them?

·
Registered
283 Posts
My feeling is that you would have no trouble getting one for a 1.6 petrol as that engine is widely available in the USA but you may struggle to get one with the right fitting for the diesel.
You also have to remember that the americans pay a lot less for utilities than we do.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are Souls on the forums from Russia and they are diesels and knocking about at minus 39.... so i reckon they must be available somewhere. One of the articles i read (but dont believe) is that the diesel engines usually have the heating element fitted as standard - just not wired up unless a winter pack is specified..... will have to do some more searching.....will probably have all the answers by the summer...lol

·
Registered
283 Posts
The diesels have a PTC heater fitted as standard. This is effectively a small electric radiator that sits on the inlet to the heater. Because diesels have a high thermal efficiency, most of the heat they produce from combustion goes out through the exhaust and they take a very long time to heat up compared to a petrol. The PTC heater is not sufficient to actually heat the interior of the car but it stops the incoming air from chilling the heater radiator and therefor speeds up the interior heating process.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that explains why the heater in the Soul works so much better and sooner than any other diesel car i have had... thanks for that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts