Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I bought a new Kia Rio Graphite 1.4 petrol which was delivered on Friday 6th January. It came with a full tank and after a week and a half and only 260 miles, I am at the point where I am looking to fill up.

Now, the car came with a full tank so as of yet, I haven't put any petrol in it but I'm very concerned at how much petrol it's consuming. I went from a 1.2 Clio Dynamique that could get 400+ miles out of a tank at a steady 45mpg, to a car that appears to drink petrol for fun. Not good as one of the key reasons I bought this car was for a low upkeep and 7 years warranty.

Admittedly I haven't quite got use to the high clutch yet and may be revving slightly more than I'd like to when pulling away but even still, I would hope for easily more than 300+ miles out of a tank.

One more thing is, I can see the Kia Rio has a fuel tank capacity of 45 litres, whereas my Clio was 55 (I believe) - would this have a major affect of how many additional miles I would get out of a tank?

Has anyone else experienced any issues with how much petrol their car goes through and counter-acted it in anyway?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,147 Posts
Hi Bane17, petrol consumption is always poor until the car and engine are run in properly, and this can takea thousand plus miles. As you say learning how to drive a new car 'sympathetically' also takes a bit of time. I should wait until after the first service before worrying too much. Oh, and yes, a 45 litre tank will give you about 20% less range than a 55 litre tank.
Cheers
Phil

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,147 Posts
rmullen57694 said:
The MPG is sh*t full stop on my Rio LE+, 36MPG at best.
On the other hand I get 42-46mpg from mine ('05 1.3 Le+) and have done since I bought it 50,000 miles ago. I'm no boy racer but neither am I a 'grandad'. Just come back from visiting my daughter in Surrey A1/M25/A3. 307 miles at an average speed of 57 mphwhich is down to the bl**dy M25 on friday afternoon (max was 78) according to my satnav . Topped up today 31.12 litres which is 44.84 mpg. I must have a good car!

Phil

Edited by: phil866

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How are you all working out your MPG and on average how much does it cost you to fill?

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,147 Posts
Hi Bane17, fill up at the same pump each time if possible and note the miles since your last top up. Convert Litres to gallons (litres X 0.22 = gallons) and divide into the miles. That will give you your mpg. To be super accurate average out several mpg results. You will notice that using the A/C drops the mpg a lot. I use Shell Vtech even though it is £1.40 a litre around here (44.84 mpg is worth it!) so to fill a tank for me (50 litres) would be £70, however I never let the tank get much below a quarter empty.
Phil

·
Registered
32 Posts
mpg on 2008 rio sport 55k 1.5 dieselaround town 35
on a long run 46 (200 miles )
average run 38
not great for a diesel

·
Registered
564 Posts
androo said:
mpg on 2008 rio sport 55k 1.5 dieselaround town 35
Wow . . . Just passing through on my way to the sportage section. I'm getting that from my First Edition 4x4 2.0ltr Sportage!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just dropped in here (I own a new Picanto 1.0 three-cylinder) and this looks pretty poor fuel economy. Agree about running the car in and then seeing what the economy's like.

My Picanto is loosening up already, and getting about 58 mpg. My previous car was a Citroen C2 1.4 turbodiesel, and got 74 to 82 mpg! (driving very carefully).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts